Mac Users Please Help

Mac Users Please Help

Having major issues with my Macbook Pro from keeping it's connection.  My HP Netbook never loses its connection.  I've been back and forth with AT&T support, we made some changes this morning and it helped for a little while and now it's back to dropping the signal. 

I'll provide what I can, let me know what else I need to provide so you might be able to help.

Macbook Pro 2009

Mac OS 10.6.4

Network Settings (from ATT Support)

Configure IPv4: Manually

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.2

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Router: 192.168.1.0

DNS Servers:

If I turn off the Airport and turn back I get my connection back for a few minutes and then it drops. 

Thanks in advance for the help!

Message 1 of 12 (1,475 Views)
Master

Re: Mac Users Please Help

tjstromquist wrote:

Having major issues with my Macbook Pro from keeping it's connection.  My HP Netbook never loses its connection.  I've been back and forth with AT&T support, we made some changes this morning and it helped for a little while and now it's back to dropping the signal. 

I'll provide what I can, let me know what else I need to provide so you might be able to help.

Macbook Pro 2009

Mac OS 10.6.4

Network Settings (from ATT Support)

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.2

Router: 192.168.1.0

DNS Servers:

If I turn off the Airport and turn back I get my connection back for a few minutes and then it drops. 

Thanks in advance for the help!

I would set IPv4 to DHCP and if you set your wireless channel to 1 6 or 11 instead of auto you should stay connected

never seen auto channel work as stated.

Message 2 of 12 (1,475 Views)

Thanks, I did change to 6, that didn't work.  Did some more searching on here and found some other info that I've tried.  Been back up for an hour, which is good!

Message 3 of 12 (1,475 Views)
Teacher

First, change these settings on your macbook to the following:

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.75

Router: 192.168.1.254

This should fix your connection issue. 

If you continue to experience a similar issue. Try the following next:

While your macbook is connected, go to your HP notebook and open a browser and type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar. This should take you to the interface of the 2wire router provided by uverse. Here you can change the settings assigned for your macbook. Change the settings so that it assigns the same IP address(192.168.1.75) to it all the time. Password info should be in a sticker on the 2wire router.  Hope this helps. ^.^

Message 4 of 12 (1,475 Views)
Teacher

First, change these settings on your macbook to the following:

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.75

Router: 192.168.1.254

This should fix your connection issue. 

If you continue to experience a similar issue. Try the following next:

While your macbook is connected, go to your HP notebook and open a browser and type 192.168.1.254 in the address bar. This should take you to the interface of the 2wire router provided by uverse. Here you can change the settings assigned for your macbook. Change the settings so that it assigns the same IP address(192.168.1.75) to your macbook all the time. Password info should be in a sticker on the 2wire router.  Hope this helps. ^.^

Message 5 of 12 (1,475 Views)
Expert

Message 6 of 12 (1,475 Views)
Expert

Message 7 of 12 (1,475 Views)
Master

Do you have the same ip address being used by another computer in the house or smart phone the reason I ask I have seen

this many times and the reason I suggested using DHCP.

Message 8 of 12 (1,475 Views)
Tutor

nt

Tuesday afternoon, 14:16, 22March2011.

Similar problem but different!! 

MacBook, MAC OS X v.10.6.5

I purchased MiFi2372 6054, Monday, 21March2011.  Activated in store, signed on to MacBook in parking lot.  Happy as P.I.M. (Pig-In-Mud)

Drove home, (live 90 miles from major city,) logged on in the parking lot of local Wally*Mart, Globe, AZ.  Still working, still happy.  Went on home, approximately 8 miles from where last successful log on occurred.  (BTW I live about .5 mile from AT&T Cell tower, I can see it from my yard, it’s on the mountain top right next to me, NO OBSTRUCTIONS.)

Got home tried to log on and Air Port is asking for password, thought kind of strange since it didn't ask that the two times before, so entered password, (yes I know it's case sensitive,) would not even connect!  No error messages, just says, "Connection timeout."  It's late, retire, get up early in the a.m., go into town (I live about 2.5 miles out of the city limits.)  Take MacBook with, sign on in town, every thing works just great.

Go back home, try to sign on again, wants password, "Connection timeout."  After several hours on phone, and "live chat," still NOT resolved.  This appears to be a problem way bigger than the "Scripts" that are written for the tech support desk!   Who's responsible for working out the BUGS when these things occur??

Now I have a piece of equipment that doesn't work in my house.  Maybe I should only pay for the time I actually am away from home and it works.

HELP !!

Message 9 of 12 (744 Views)
Master

Re: nt

hckanaga wrote:

Tuesday afternoon, 14:16, 22March2011.

Similar problem but different!! 

MacBook, MAC OS X v.10.6.5

I purchased MiFi2372 6054, Monday, 21March2011.  Activated in store, signed on to MacBook in parking lot.  Happy as P.I.M. (Pig-In-Mud)

Drove home, (live 90 miles from major city,) logged on in the parking lot of local Wally*Mart, Globe, AZ.  Still working, still happy.  Went on home, approximately 8 miles from where last successful log on occurred.  (BTW I live about .5 mile from AT&T Cell tower, I can see it from my yard, it’s on the mountain top right next to me, NO OBSTRUCTIONS.)

Got home tried to log on and Air Port is asking for password, thought kind of strange since it didn't ask that the two times before, so entered password, (yes I know it's case sensitive,) would not even connect!  No error messages, just says, "Connection timeout."  It's late, retire, get up early in the a.m., go into town (I live about 2.5 miles out of the city limits.)  Take MacBook with, sign on in town, every thing works just great.

Go back home, try to sign on again, wants password, "Connection timeout."  After several hours on phone, and "live chat," still NOT resolved.  This appears to be a problem way bigger than the "Scripts" that are written for the tech support desk!   Who's responsible for working out the BUGS when these things occur??

Now I have a piece of equipment that doesn't work in my house.  Maybe I should only pay for the time I actually am away from home and it works.

HELP !!

Did you use the wireless pass key ( the bottom set of numbers on the silver label on the RG ) ?

Message 10 of 12 (730 Views)
Tutor

Yes.. I'm using the correct pass"key" / pass"word"  

Matter of fact I am replying on the very MacBook I'm having problems with, the very device I'm having problems with AT HOME.   Works fine on the opposite side of the tower.  Now you tell me WT...Heck??

I'm going to leave the laptop and device signed on and see where it drops.

And just trying to explain this to "tech support" is really annoying, especially when you have to tell the story over and over and over!  I'll be insane by he end of the month.. LOL

Thanks for your input though.. its appreciated.  

Message 11 of 12 (513 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Have you tried setting the Authentication Type to WPA2-PSK(AES) in the RG ?

Message 12 of 12 (497 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.