Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 7, 2008
3:53:01 PM
Mac Airport Issue

My Windows wireless connection is great.  However, my Mac is acting strangely.  The connection seems to go up and down in strength and it seems like the Airport is constantly scanning for networks.  Throughout this, my download speeds are fluctuating wildly.  I was making some firewall changes in relation to this machine and I'm worried that I messed something up.  I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to networking and this problem seemed to crop up after the Uverse installation.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

My Windows wireless connection is great.  However, my Mac is acting strangely.  The connection seems to go up and down in strength and it seems like the Airport is constantly scanning for networks.  Throughout this, my download speeds are fluctuating wildly.  I was making some firewall changes in relation to this machine and I'm worried that I messed something up.  I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to networking and this problem seemed to crop up after the Uverse installation.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Mac Airport Issue

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 7:29:57 AM
(0)
Master

I had this problem in the past with comcast or so I thought and it turned out it was the Airport did the last firmware update and have not been

plagued with it ever since also running 10.5.5 may have had something to do with it.

I had this problem in the past with comcast or so I thought and it turned out it was the Airport did the last firmware update and have not been

plagued with it ever since also running 10.5.5 may have had something to do with it.

Re: Mac Airport Issue

2 of 10 (1,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 8:21:51 AM
(0)
Guru

Well, the installer set a specific wireless channel.  I just changed it to Automatic and it seemed to help.  It may be that I was getting interference from other sources and this might have caused part of the problem.  As of now, I'm downloading something and it's coming through at a great speed and seems to be holding steady.  I'll have to keep watching and researching.

Well, the installer set a specific wireless channel.  I just changed it to Automatic and it seemed to help.  It may be that I was getting interference from other sources and this might have caused part of the problem.  As of now, I'm downloading something and it's coming through at a great speed and seems to be holding steady.  I'll have to keep watching and researching.

3 of 10 (1,654 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 9:01:09 AM
(0)
Mentor

If you think you are having wireless interference issues...do what I did.  Log into the MDC (192.168.1.254/mdc) and change to different channels 1 at a time, each time you change take the IP address of your computer (usually 192.168.1.xx) which you can find in the device list and use the systems tests to ping the computer.  Find the channel with the lowest ping time (latency) and lack of lost packets.  You'll find the channel with the least interference and should be good to go.  Just remember that channel 6 is usually the worst as it seems most cordless 2.4gig phones default to that channel.

If you think you are having wireless interference issues...do what I did.  Log into the MDC (192.168.1.254/mdc) and change to different channels 1 at a time, each time you change take the IP address of your computer (usually 192.168.1.xx) which you can find in the device list and use the systems tests to ping the computer.  Find the channel with the lowest ping time (latency) and lack of lost packets.  You'll find the channel with the least interference and should be good to go.  Just remember that channel 6 is usually the worst as it seems most cordless 2.4gig phones default to that channel.

4 of 10 (1,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 9:19:24 AM
(0)
Master

a good tool imho   netstumbler

not sure of what your os is so it may or may not work..

not a 100% to work with every card either ,  but worth a try if u want to see whats in use..

a thought

randy

a good tool imho   netstumbler

not sure of what your os is so it may or may not work..

not a 100% to work with every card either ,  but worth a try if u want to see whats in use..

a thought

randy

5 of 10 (1,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 9:22:03 AM
(0)
Guru
Well, I'm using a Mac and it looks like that source is a PC program.

6 of 10 (1,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 9:28:50 AM
(0)
Master

jwt0001 wrote:

there is one out there for a mac as well ...

here is a link dunno though  try at your own risk ?  lol

macstumbler
Message Edited by randyl on 12-08-2008 11:35 AM

jwt0001 wrote:

there is one out there for a mac as well ...

here is a link dunno though  try at your own risk ?  lol

macstumbler
Message Edited by randyl on 12-08-2008 11:35 AM

7 of 10 (1,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 9:42:01 AM
(0)
Guru

Well, since it seems to have solved itself, I think I'll leave everything alone for now! :smileyvery-happy:

I'm wondering why the Windows laptop didn't seem to be affected, unless it was the specific location of the Mac computer.

Here's what I was getting last night:

Results

Well, since it seems to have solved itself, I think I'll leave everything alone for now! :smileyvery-happy:

I'm wondering why the Windows laptop didn't seem to be affected, unless it was the specific location of the Mac computer.

Here's what I was getting last night:

Results

8 of 10 (1,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 4:17:04 PM
(0)
Master
I use i-stumbler on my Mac it will give you channel,noise,mac address,signal strength and frequency and various other info with a log.
I use i-stumbler on my Mac it will give you channel,noise,mac address,signal strength and frequency and various other info with a log.

9 of 10 (1,654 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 4:21:04 PM
(0)
Guru

I discussed the issue with a tech collegue at school tonight.  It's clear that the problem was the Mac's inability to properly lock on to the wireless signal, probably due to outside interference.  The computer is against an outside wall and it's likely that I was having problems due to other signals.  What was interesting was that the Airport kept scanning for networks, even though it was supposedly connected.

Anyway, I think I solved the problem and I thank everyone here for their good suggestions!

I discussed the issue with a tech collegue at school tonight.  It's clear that the problem was the Mac's inability to properly lock on to the wireless signal, probably due to outside interference.  The computer is against an outside wall and it's likely that I was having problems due to other signals.  What was interesting was that the Airport kept scanning for networks, even though it was supposedly connected.

Anyway, I think I solved the problem and I thank everyone here for their good suggestions!

10 of 10 (1,654 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments