Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 9, 2011
10:17:11 AM
View profile
Lost and limited connectivity

Having searched this forum as well as others such as dslreports etc.,  I see this is a common problem.  We have 2 laptops, two Blackberry Curves, one iPad and two iPod Touches, as well as a directv receiver and a Wii all connecting wirelessly.  All of them cannot be broken, yet all of them cannot connect sucessfully for any sort of reasonable amount of time.   The best solution is to reset the RG (red button reset) and then go in and set the channel, security, and wireless protection setting back to what I have found to be the most stable.  At this point I have to reset daily.

It seems that there is no solution to this - why is nothing being done?  We had all this equipment happily using our DSL wireless gateway, and ever since switching to uVerse, nothing works correctly.

Replaced the RG two days ago, still losing connection every 4 or five minutes.  Note - this is with on single wireless device currently active (the Directv receiver is never "off"  but it is not downloading right now, nor is the Wii online playing.  All the handhelds are currently powered down, as is the other laptop.  So I do not think it is some sort of bandwidth overload.

This is what happens - device loses connection to internet, not to RG.  Stopping the connection and restarting it may work once or twice but eventually it fails as well.  I have disabled firewall and antivirus in hopes to troubleshoot this but it seems to be an RG issue.  Like I said above, all devices can connect to the RG.  The problem is that the RG cannot seem to connect to the Internet or to mail servers. 

Is anyone actually trying to figure this problem out?

Having searched this forum as well as others such as dslreports etc.,  I see this is a common problem.  We have 2 laptops, two Blackberry Curves, one iPad and two iPod Touches, as well as a directv receiver and a Wii all connecting wirelessly.  All of them cannot be broken, yet all of them cannot connect sucessfully for any sort of reasonable amount of time.   The best solution is to reset the RG (red button reset) and then go in and set the channel, security, and wireless protection setting back to what I have found to be the most stable.  At this point I have to reset daily.

It seems that there is no solution to this - why is nothing being done?  We had all this equipment happily using our DSL wireless gateway, and ever since switching to uVerse, nothing works correctly.

Replaced the RG two days ago, still losing connection every 4 or five minutes.  Note - this is with on single wireless device currently active (the Directv receiver is never "off"  but it is not downloading right now, nor is the Wii online playing.  All the handhelds are currently powered down, as is the other laptop.  So I do not think it is some sort of bandwidth overload.

This is what happens - device loses connection to internet, not to RG.  Stopping the connection and restarting it may work once or twice but eventually it fails as well.  I have disabled firewall and antivirus in hopes to troubleshoot this but it seems to be an RG issue.  Like I said above, all devices can connect to the RG.  The problem is that the RG cannot seem to connect to the Internet or to mail servers. 

Is anyone actually trying to figure this problem out?

Lost and limited connectivity

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 10:22:31 AM
(0)
Teacher

I don't think anyone can help you with the info you provided. Without information from you web GUI/router config page nobody can really know what's going on. If your router still has it's default gateway ip, type 192.168.1.254 into your web browser and post your settings so people can see whats going on. I'd suggest posting the WAN and LAN IP's as well as the DHCP settings and firewall settings.

I don't think anyone can help you with the info you provided. Without information from you web GUI/router config page nobody can really know what's going on. If your router still has it's default gateway ip, type 192.168.1.254 into your web browser and post your settings so people can see whats going on. I'd suggest posting the WAN and LAN IP's as well as the DHCP settings and firewall settings.

Re: Lost and limited connectivity

2 of 22 (1,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 9, 2011 10:32:11 AM
(0)
Teacher

every setting is default with these exceptions:

wps is off

channel is 11

security is wpa/psk

every setting is default with these exceptions:

wps is off

channel is 11

security is wpa/psk

3 of 22 (1,637 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 9:44:28 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have the same issues. Granted I don't have as many devices connected I still lose the connections. Mine has been occurring for about 6 months now. I never really thought about it until I was resetting(not red button just powering off) my modem at least 3 times a day. I haven't tried to replace it yet until I'm a little better informed on if its just MY modem or happens to others as well. I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just wanted to chime in because your problems were very similar to mine.

Thanks

I have the same issues. Granted I don't have as many devices connected I still lose the connections. Mine has been occurring for about 6 months now. I never really thought about it until I was resetting(not red button just powering off) my modem at least 3 times a day. I haven't tried to replace it yet until I'm a little better informed on if its just MY modem or happens to others as well. I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just wanted to chime in because your problems were very similar to mine.

Thanks

4 of 22 (1,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 4:04:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

No offense taken - not really a hijack, AND I wish someone would do a poll or something.  I am on my second RG with a third on the way, and it turns out that number two was returned by first owner for exact same reasons - it seems that the radio cannot communicate - cannot listen for incoming requests and cannot tell when a device is trying to communicate.  The installer who brought mine had an iPhone with him, and prior to swapping out number one RG tried to find my network with his phone.  All the stuff in my house already knows the SSID so it tries to connect of course, automatically.  Even if I tell it to forget, it only seems to forget the key.  Anyway, his phone could not detect my RG and he was sitting practically on top of it. That one worked for a month.  Number two worked for 2 days.  We shall see what happens with number three.

I have tried disabling WPS, forcing a single channel (oddly it keeps turning auto back on.  I had to tell it to go back to channel 9 three times in a couple hours.)  It did this while I was on the phone with support, also.  I think for some reason that it cannot "hear" on a channel so it just changes to another one.  If that happens as many times an hour as mine does no wonder it cannot stay connected to anything. Changing to WEP as experiment had no effect. 

No offense taken - not really a hijack, AND I wish someone would do a poll or something.  I am on my second RG with a third on the way, and it turns out that number two was returned by first owner for exact same reasons - it seems that the radio cannot communicate - cannot listen for incoming requests and cannot tell when a device is trying to communicate.  The installer who brought mine had an iPhone with him, and prior to swapping out number one RG tried to find my network with his phone.  All the stuff in my house already knows the SSID so it tries to connect of course, automatically.  Even if I tell it to forget, it only seems to forget the key.  Anyway, his phone could not detect my RG and he was sitting practically on top of it. That one worked for a month.  Number two worked for 2 days.  We shall see what happens with number three.

I have tried disabling WPS, forcing a single channel (oddly it keeps turning auto back on.  I had to tell it to go back to channel 9 three times in a couple hours.)  It did this while I was on the phone with support, also.  I think for some reason that it cannot "hear" on a channel so it just changes to another one.  If that happens as many times an hour as mine does no wonder it cannot stay connected to anything. Changing to WEP as experiment had no effect. 

5 of 22 (1,518 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 4:36:21 PM
(0)
Mentor

Does a wired connection to the RG maintain an internet connection? If no then it may be worthwhile to have a tech come out to check if something is faulty outside your home. Over the weekend our RG was losing the internet connection for a few hours. I call the automated support phone#, it ran a test, and created a tech visit appt.  Soon after the internet connection was back up and I canceled the appt Smiley Happy

Does a wired connection to the RG maintain an internet connection? If no then it may be worthwhile to have a tech come out to check if something is faulty outside your home. Over the weekend our RG was losing the internet connection for a few hours. I call the automated support phone#, it ran a test, and created a tech visit appt.  Soon after the internet connection was back up and I canceled the appt Smiley Happy

6 of 22 (1,506 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 4:37:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Have you tried to connect another computer to your wireless system?  I have 3 laptops two of them are Win7 and the other one is XP.  The XP experiences drops of the wireless connection but the other two don't.  I have resolved this issue in the past by unplugging the RG for 30 seconds and then reconnecting it. 

Have you tried to connect another computer to your wireless system?  I have 3 laptops two of them are Win7 and the other one is XP.  The XP experiences drops of the wireless connection but the other two don't.  I have resolved this issue in the past by unplugging the RG for 30 seconds and then reconnecting it. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 22 (1,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 10, 2011 5:44:46 PM
(0)
Teacher

In my case wired connections all work fine. Anything wireless goes kaput.

2 Laptops (both on XP)

1 PC(XP)

1 iPod Touch

1 MotoDroid

1 PS3

1 Wii

Never all at the same time. As I mentioned before I unplug it wait and plug it back in. That wouldn't be an issue if it didn't happen multiple times a day. Smiley Sad

In my case wired connections all work fine. Anything wireless goes kaput.

2 Laptops (both on XP)

1 PC(XP)

1 iPod Touch

1 MotoDroid

1 PS3

1 Wii

Never all at the same time. As I mentioned before I unplug it wait and plug it back in. That wouldn't be an issue if it didn't happen multiple times a day. Smiley Sad

8 of 22 (1,482 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2011 11:04:46 PM
(0)
Teacher
lostracer, I see you have some Apple hand helds in the mix. I read this today and thought it was really interesting. They also have a link somewhere on the page for info about the iPad and iOS 4.2.1 I shut down the iPad completely to see if this was the problem but it was not. We got a new RG today, and so far it has been flawless. The iPad is still shut down though. I will follow up later this week and let you know. Here is the link to the information that I found so interesting: http://www.net.princeton.edu/announcements/ipad-iphoneos32-stops-renewing-lease-keeps-using-IP-addre...
lostracer, I see you have some Apple hand helds in the mix. I read this today and thought it was really interesting. They also have a link somewhere on the page for info about the iPad and iOS 4.2.1 I shut down the iPad completely to see if this was the problem but it was not. We got a new RG today, and so far it has been flawless. The iPad is still shut down though. I will follow up later this week and let you know. Here is the link to the information that I found so interesting: http://www.net.princeton.edu/announcements/ipad-iphoneos32-stops-renewing-lease-keeps-using-IP-address.html

9 of 22 (1,374 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 4:56:17 PM
(0)
Master

I have noticed when there is a variety of OS's and computer brands along with phone,tablets and games that

an aftermarket wireless router seems to give the least amount of problems our company has had great results

with Netgear and Apple's Airport Extreme.

I have noticed when there is a variety of OS's and computer brands along with phone,tablets and games that

an aftermarket wireless router seems to give the least amount of problems our company has had great results

with Netgear and Apple's Airport Extreme.

10 of 22 (1,315 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 6:54:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

I would definitely second the motion on NetGear. I use a NetGear wireless router behind my RG - turning off the wireless on my RG.  This provides me 802.11N, which is much faster (if you have N in your clients) and much larger coverage area.  My Netgear can run months (years?) between reboots.  Rock solid.

Another added benefit is that I then keep all my computers wired behind the NetGear, and leave my AT&T set tops and Uverse gear in front of the netgear - serviced purely by the RG.  This isolates your data traffic from your IPTV.  Probably a good thing in most installations.

The 2wire wifi has seemed to be a little more finicky - especially under heavy load.  Though there are millions of them out there now - and while it appears to be a common complaint on this forum ... these numbers of problems are probably typcial bad apples sort of defects.

I would definitely second the motion on NetGear. I use a NetGear wireless router behind my RG - turning off the wireless on my RG.  This provides me 802.11N, which is much faster (if you have N in your clients) and much larger coverage area.  My Netgear can run months (years?) between reboots.  Rock solid.

Another added benefit is that I then keep all my computers wired behind the NetGear, and leave my AT&T set tops and Uverse gear in front of the netgear - serviced purely by the RG.  This isolates your data traffic from your IPTV.  Probably a good thing in most installations.

The 2wire wifi has seemed to be a little more finicky - especially under heavy load.  Though there are millions of them out there now - and while it appears to be a common complaint on this forum ... these numbers of problems are probably typcial bad apples sort of defects.

11 of 22 (1,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 11:45:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

Bsdsmb, as I've now had this problem twice in the last three days, I'm interested in your solution. Can you describe exactly what plugs into what in order to create your configuration. When you have your Netgear box "behind your RG", what exactly does that look like. What do the clients see? Do you have to use a DMZ or any other settings on the RG (or the Netgear).

Thanks!

Bsdsmb, as I've now had this problem twice in the last three days, I'm interested in your solution. Can you describe exactly what plugs into what in order to create your configuration. When you have your Netgear box "behind your RG", what exactly does that look like. What do the clients see? Do you have to use a DMZ or any other settings on the RG (or the Netgear).

Thanks!

12 of 22 (999 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 17, 2011 11:39:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

We just "upgraded" to U-Verse today and all of the wired devices are losing their wifi connection but the wired devices do not experience this problem. The way we are dealing with this is to renew the lease on the connection. 

It appears that the WiFi devices are considered "inactive" by the router and it seems to stop listening for them. So, for example, my iPhone says it is connected to WiFi, but attempts to get data from the Internet fail. Renewing the lease manually helps for awhile. The lease timeout on the router is 24 hours.

Help!

We just "upgraded" to U-Verse today and all of the wired devices are losing their wifi connection but the wired devices do not experience this problem. The way we are dealing with this is to renew the lease on the connection. 

It appears that the WiFi devices are considered "inactive" by the router and it seems to stop listening for them. So, for example, my iPhone says it is connected to WiFi, but attempts to get data from the Internet fail. Renewing the lease manually helps for awhile. The lease timeout on the router is 24 hours.

Help!

13 of 22 (936 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 1:46:11 PM
(0)
Master

Do you have IPv4 configured using DHCP.

Do you have IPv4 configured using DHCP.

14 of 22 (898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2011 4:08:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

One of my Win7 laptops and an XP laptop recently started losing their wireless connections when my newer Win7 laptop didn't.  I unplugged the ac cable from the rg for 30 seconds and reconnected it.  After the rg booted back up the problem went away.  I suggest you try that.

One of my Win7 laptops and an XP laptop recently started losing their wireless connections when my newer Win7 laptop didn't.  I unplugged the ac cable from the rg for 30 seconds and reconnected it.  After the rg booted back up the problem went away.  I suggest you try that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 22 (880 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 3:41:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

Not sure if this helps, but I was having similar issues. I had to go into the router settings and enable MAC addresses. Once I did this my connection was consistent and the speed was were it was suppose to be.

Not sure if this helps, but I was having similar issues. I had to go into the router settings and enable MAC addresses. Once I did this my connection was consistent and the speed was were it was suppose to be.

16 of 22 (806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 4:04:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Oh

Oh

17 of 22 (797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 7:13:22 PM
(0)
Teacher
I called support they "fixed" the problem by lowering my encryption. Smiley Sad It works but I don't recommend it.
I called support they "fixed" the problem by lowering my encryption. Smiley Sad It works but I don't recommend it.

18 of 22 (776 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 7:21:40 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you don't mind would you click on this link and download and install the Realtime App?  After that, post screen shots of your stats?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

If you don't mind would you click on this link and download and install the Realtime App?  After that, post screen shots of your stats?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

19 of 22 (770 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2011 1:09:06 AM
(0)
Expert

That is just a good test to see if you can make a connection; and if it's WEP Open (I wouldn't recommend it either!). 
Now that you CAN connect, have you tried going back to WPA2 (assuming that's what you were using)?
I'd suggest to try another Wireless Channel.  Try downloading inSSIDer for a detailed look at channels being using in your 'hood.
Have you made sure all Wireless card drivers are updated?
Which O/S?

npcougar wrote:

That is just a good test to see if you can make a connection; and if it's WEP Open (I wouldn't recommend it either!). 
Now that you CAN connect, have you tried going back to WPA2 (assuming that's what you were using)?
I'd suggest to try another Wireless Channel.  Try downloading inSSIDer for a detailed look at channels being using in your 'hood.
Have you made sure all Wireless card drivers are updated?
Which O/S?

npcougar wrote:

20 of 22 (742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 2:29:32 PM
(0)
Teacher
"Have you made sure all Wireless card drivers are updated?" Can't be it. I have a blu-ray player, a laptop with win 7, an ipad, an iphone and a desktop with xp. They all had the same problem.
"Have you made sure all Wireless card drivers are updated?" Can't be it. I have a blu-ray player, a laptop with win 7, an ipad, an iphone and a desktop with xp. They all had the same problem.

21 of 22 (498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2011 2:34:35 PM
(0)
Teacher
It was wep open. I've switched it back and we'll see it how it goes. Trying to game on unstable connect is not fun.
It was wep open. I've switched it back and we'll see it how it goes. Trying to game on unstable connect is not fun.

22 of 22 (496 Views)