Live FF

Mentor

Live FF

I was watching live TV and I accidentally pressed fast forward. l got the message "This receiver can not fast forward live TV"!

Will this feature ever be added?
Message 1 of 10 (404 Views)
Expert

Re: Live FF

The ability to pause, rewind and fast forward live TV on TV's connected to the non-DVR STB's will exist with the release of the THDVR Phase 3 Update.  There is currently no ETA on the release date.  The update is currently being tested internally at AT&T.

Message 2 of 10 (400 Views)
Teacher

Maybe I misunderstand, but how can you fast forward ANY LIVE tv?

Message 3 of 10 (395 Views)
Expert

You have to rewind before you can fast forward.

Message 4 of 10 (391 Views)
Mentor

That would be cool. If such a feature existed, for example, the other day when we waited to hear the announcement by the President, I could have FF to when Obama made the announcement about OBL and learned about it before everyone else did!

That's one cool high tech quantum mechanical advanced feature!
Message 5 of 10 (387 Views)
Mentor

Seriously, I'm just pointing out the ludicracy of actually displaying the message that my device can't FF live TV! Well, duh! (not you, the programmers who actually stuck that message in)

They should have had it do absolutely nothing. The message kinda implies that FF into the future is something that might be being worked on. Lol
Message 6 of 10 (383 Views)
ACE - Master

fortinjlf1 wrote:

Maybe I misunderstand, but how can you fast forward ANY LIVE tv?

Time machine?  Flux capacitator? 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 10 (375 Views)
Highlighted

PeterAlt wrote:
Seriously, I'm just pointing out the ludicracy of actually displaying the message that my device can't FF live TV! Well, duh! (not you, the programmers who actually stuck that message in)

They should have had it do absolutely nothing. The message kinda implies that FF into the future is something that might be being worked on. Lol

The reason why they say that, is because while you can't technically fast forware live TV, you can pause and rewind a live (not recorded) stream, which gives you the possibility to fast forward up to live, while not technically live, it's not a recorded show on the DVR list, and therefore doesn't count as a DVR recording, and therefore is still considered as the live stream, therefore it is technically considered as fast forwarding live TV

Now being that manipulation of a live stream (fast forward, rewind and pause) is not yet possible on non-DVR STBs until (like TG37 said) the unknown release of THDVR Phase 3, at&t has put messages saying the STB is unable to manipulate a live stream, while the DVR is able to manipulate live streams (as it contains a local hard drive)

While it may not make sense to put a message on the STB saying it can't fast forward live TV, basically what it is saying is "This receiver can not <insert button pressed here> Live TV", it just so happened that the button you press was "Fast Forward", therefore <insert button pressed here> became "Fast Forward", if you were in the same situation, but instead watching TV from the DVR instead, you would not see that message

Message 8 of 10 (358 Views)
Mentor

If you press pause and then unpause it, it is playing the stream from buffer or cached memory and is no longer live. The fact that the programmers didn't add an exception to that code line that displays that message (a simple command saying 'display (message) (condition for message), except FF unbuffered live video streams' (formatted to whatever programming language they used) is just laziness on the part of the programmers since this code shouldn't take more than a single line of memory.
Message 9 of 10 (353 Views)

PeterAlt wrote:
If you press pause and then unpause it, it is playing the stream from buffer or cached memory and is no longer live. The fact that the programmers didn't add an exception to that code line that displays that message (a simple command saying 'display (message) (condition for message), except FF unbuffered live video streams' (formatted to whatever programming language they used) is just laziness on the part of the programmers since this code shouldn't take more than a single line of memory.

Not exactly

What is being buffered, while it is not technically "Live" by sense of the word (meaning this very second), it is "Live" in this sense that you did not press the record button or select the given show from the EPG and select to record it, so in this case, truely live or not, buffered=live

When dealing with DVRs, you have either "Live" or "Recorded", if you did not select it to record to the DVR list, it is considered "Live"

Like I said before in my last reply, the STB can't do any live stream manipulation whatsoever, meaning the STB doesn't have a buffer, as the STB doesn't have a local hard drive, it has nothing to do with it being simple programming for that message to not display, whenever you see that message on the STB (whether it be rewinding, fast forwarding or pausing), all it is really telling you (no matter what it says), is that the given STB you are on does not contain a hard drive, and it is not getting a buffered stream from the DVR, and therefore can not be manipulated in any way

When THDVR Phase 3 comes out, the stream will go to the DVR first to be buffered, then that buffered stream will be sent to the given STB, when that happens, the messages will no longer show up on the STBs

I really don't see what the issue is, it's simply telling you that the function you want done simply can't be done, I think anybody with half a brain (I'm not trying to be rude here, just making a point) would already know that there is no way to fast forward into something that hasn't even been aired yet, and even quite possibly even recorded yet (if the live stream was from a live source), if the message bothers you that much, just don't read it, I haven't heard from anybody else saying it was an issue

Message 10 of 10 (346 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.