Ask a question

Posted Jul 31, 2010
4:24:44 PM
View profile
Linksys swtich behind 2WIRE Router

Hey all-

Just installed a new backup/remote drive into our home network.  I had only our main/office computer wired to the router, and other computers/laptops connected via wireless.  Having this new drive, I bought a Linksys 5 port switch (EZXS55W) figuring the back-up drive would sit in the office anyways, and then I wouldn't have painfully slow auto back ups that take 10 hours over a wireless network.

Shut down everything, plugged it all in, lights are on, but nobody home.  My desktop and back-up server recognize a network connection, but will not connect to the network/internet.  I've tried different ports thinking maybe one was bad, both on the 2WIRE and switch.

Don't know much about all of this stuff- but enough to have had a network set up.  Thought that the switch would be all I needed and it'd just be plug and play.

Any advice/direction/corrections would be most helpful- thanks in advance!

Linksys swtich behind 2WIRE Router

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 4:42:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Leave everything else plugged in and unplug/plug in the RG for 30 seconds then see if both don't connect then.  Good luck :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Linksys swtich behind 2WIRE Router

2 of 16 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 4:56:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

naw- had tried that... was hoping it was a reset issue... but no dice.

3 of 16 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 5:05:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Okay, had just thought of that but was writing this originally:

Think it will work on a network on a router behind the RG, but the that storage device is not 'active' and the RG can not recognize it to assign an IP address for use on it's network. :smileywink:

Edit: Another thought, plug the backup/remote drive directly into the RG by ethernet and the computer too and bypass the switch to see if it's the problem.  Also maybe you need a cross connect cable for that switch.

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 16 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 5:10:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

True... was thinking it'd just be part of my home network still... problem though still- can't even access the network/internet from the office computer- basically anything through that switch.  Assuming the switch is OK, because all lights are operational on any port I try. 

Would I actually need a seperate router for the switch?  I didn't think so... but seems many are doing that- for better connections I had thought...

5 of 16 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 5:13:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

See my edit above. :smileywink:

Chris

6 of 16 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 5:16:42 PM
(0)
Expert

The Linksys EZXS55W is a 10/100 switch but does not have auto-MDI/MDIX.  This means you have to carefully select the port that is used.

It's a 5 port switch, but if you look on the back there are actually 6 RJ45 jacks.  The last 2 are labeled "5" and "Upink".  You can only use one of those two.

The Ethernet cable from the RG needs to be plugged into the Uplink port, and port 5 needs to be empty.

Your computer and the backup drive then should plug into other ports, such as 1 and 2.

Once everything is connected and powered on, you should have lights on the front of the switch that indicate a good link on ports 1, 2, and 5 (the uplink port uses the port 5 lights).

7 of 16 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 5:25:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah- I should've mentioned that earlier... it's a 5 port- but with 4 active.  5 is uplink, which I have the CAT5 in, and tried, 1, 2, and 3 individually always leaving 4 empty.  No dice.  My desktop recognizes everytime I plug in/unplug into the switch- the connection shows- but again, just no access.  All lights on the front of the switch are lit and show good to go.

at least i know I was actually along the right track... ha ha ha

The ethernet from the RG can be in any port I'm assuming.  (I've tried multiple- again, all show good connection- and testing with the laptop down in each port shows good connections).

welcome to my mess... lol

8 of 16 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 5:31:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The feed from the RG should be in the 'uplink' slot, not # 5. :smileywink:

Edit: http://www.linksysbycisco.com/SA/en/support/EZXS55W

Chris

9 of 16 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 5:33:17 PM
(0)
Tutor

5 is the uplink- sorry for the confusion- with 4 shared

thanks for the help thus far

10 of 16 (1,513 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 5:34:29 PM
(0)
Expert

See the following link on Linksys's site for how to cascade the EZXS55W to another switch:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&login=1&app=search&vw=1&articleid=4551&donelr=1

11 of 16 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 5:47:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

OK- here's what we have...

RG - cable from port 1 to UPLINK on switch.  Switch port 1 to desktop.  Connection seen- no internet.

So- my question then I guess in looking at the diagram- can I "uplink" from the RG?  it's not a switch... however, I'm using it to "link" a switch.  Can I do that?  FYI- if I go from the RG to port 1 of the switch- no IP address can be found...

(PS- sorry- it is a 6 port, with 5 and UPLINK attached.... so do have the 4 active... just had "5 not active" in my head...)

12 of 16 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 6:06:01 PM
(0)
Expert

Restart that desktop computer.  There should definitely be internet connectivity with the desktop in port 1 and the RG in Uplink.

(Make sure you have the lights lit on port 5/uplink indicating that the link to the RG is good).

13 of 16 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 6:21:24 PM
(0)
Tutor

all lights are good- just no link...

think i'm leaning towards returning the thing and buying another 50' cable to snake through the walls... lol.

14 of 16 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 6:22:15 PM
(0)
Expert

The only other possibility is that you have a bad cable somewhere.

15 of 16 (836 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 6:25:50 PM
(0)
Tutor

checked all cables with the laptop- can't get the laptop to run wired through the switch either...

Really appreciate all the help.  If you have an ephiphony later on- i'll check back in... for now- calling it a night with this here... lol.  Thanks again

16 of 16 (836 Views)