Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 7, 2009
1:27:07 PM
View profile
Internet speed very unstable, ranges between 3 and 18 mbits

Hi,

We just signed up for U-Verse, got the Max 18 internet packages. I have done numerous speed tests, and I have noticed wildly varying speeds, ranging from 3 mbit up to near 18 mbit. It seems fairly random and all over the map. You can test 10 times in a row and get 10 different readings.

I have confirmed with AT&T that our line and signal are supposedly good. There are no computer issues either, I am testing on a patched, up to dat eMac that is hard-wired right into the residential gateway, without any other network activity going on.

Any ideas? Is this variability normal for U-Verse? 

Hi,

We just signed up for U-Verse, got the Max 18 internet packages. I have done numerous speed tests, and I have noticed wildly varying speeds, ranging from 3 mbit up to near 18 mbit. It seems fairly random and all over the map. You can test 10 times in a row and get 10 different readings.

I have confirmed with AT&T that our line and signal are supposedly good. There are no computer issues either, I am testing on a patched, up to dat eMac that is hard-wired right into the residential gateway, without any other network activity going on.

Any ideas? Is this variability normal for U-Verse? 

Internet speed very unstable, ranges between 3 and 18 mbits

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2009 2:31:41 PM
(0)
Employee

Which speedtest site did you use?

Genrally speaking, if you use a speed test tool residing on the AT&T network, (like the one here: http://helpme.att.net/ , then "Internet Connection Problems," then "Internet Speed Test"), you will tend to get more stable results.

When you go "off-net,"  you may be crossing links that are below tier / choke points. 

You will still see some variation, and in some cases a wide swing, but your best shot is a speed test that is "local" to your network. The one I linked to above allows you to connect to test sites all over the country.

The variation in test speeds can be from a variety of causes, starting with the number of STBs (and SD/HD counts) you're using at the time, how much traffic others on your  DSLAM are gnerating, then congestion at other network aggregation points.  If you're experiencing persistent slow speed, then call support.

Also, if you're using torrents, try throttling back the speed some. Most torrent client default to using everything it can grab, and tend to be pretty aggressive. Like most other SOHO routers, the RG has a limited number of available NAT sessions available, and most torrent clients tend to exhaust the available entries, so when another application wants to get out, it may have to wait for a slot, then fight the torrent client to get it ... which would tend to give the appearance of slow throughput (even on a "speed test," which tends to use file transfer speeds as a guage. 

Which speedtest site did you use?

Genrally speaking, if you use a speed test tool residing on the AT&T network, (like the one here: http://helpme.att.net/ , then "Internet Connection Problems," then "Internet Speed Test"), you will tend to get more stable results.

When you go "off-net,"  you may be crossing links that are below tier / choke points. 

You will still see some variation, and in some cases a wide swing, but your best shot is a speed test that is "local" to your network. The one I linked to above allows you to connect to test sites all over the country.

The variation in test speeds can be from a variety of causes, starting with the number of STBs (and SD/HD counts) you're using at the time, how much traffic others on your  DSLAM are gnerating, then congestion at other network aggregation points.  If you're experiencing persistent slow speed, then call support.

Also, if you're using torrents, try throttling back the speed some. Most torrent client default to using everything it can grab, and tend to be pretty aggressive. Like most other SOHO routers, the RG has a limited number of available NAT sessions available, and most torrent clients tend to exhaust the available entries, so when another application wants to get out, it may have to wait for a slot, then fight the torrent client to get it ... which would tend to give the appearance of slow throughput (even on a "speed test," which tends to use file transfer speeds as a guage. 

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Internet speed very unstable, ranges between 3 and 18 mbits

2 of 3 (763 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2009 3:02:57 PM
(0)
Employee
That seemed to be a problem for several posters when it first came out. Most of them cut back to a slower speed. I would call TS they may have a solution.
That seemed to be a problem for several posters when it first came out. Most of them cut back to a slower speed. I would call TS they may have a solution.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Internet speed very unstable, ranges between 3 and 18 mbits

3 of 3 (763 Views)