Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 19, 2009
6:45:22 PM
View profile
Internet slow in comparison to newly installed RoadRunner

My speeds test fine (I have 10/1) on Speedtest.net and Speakeasy, and on RoadRunner I have there 6/.75 and they test properly as well.  Though when I'm downloading files (like podcasts through iTunes) the same video podcast will take 25-28 minutes on U-Verse and 7 minutes on RoadRunner.  The same goes for downloading large files through a browser. U-Verse will typically give me 300-400 kpbs but RoadRunner will give me 750-850 kpbs.  I've already plugged in my DNS manually and it has positively affected my page rendering problems with my Mac, but I can't account for these differences in downloads.  Obviously, I never notice a difference between the two when I'm just browsing, but when push comes to shove it seems the U-Verse connection can't hang.  Also, when I'm streaming Netflix through my 360 (U-verse DMZ Mode), plugged directly into either router - I'll get 3/4 HD bars with U-Verse and 4/4 HD Bars with RoadRunner. 

Any ideas? I'm stumped. 

My speeds test fine (I have 10/1) on Speedtest.net and Speakeasy, and on RoadRunner I have there 6/.75 and they test properly as well.  Though when I'm downloading files (like podcasts through iTunes) the same video podcast will take 25-28 minutes on U-Verse and 7 minutes on RoadRunner.  The same goes for downloading large files through a browser. U-Verse will typically give me 300-400 kpbs but RoadRunner will give me 750-850 kpbs.  I've already plugged in my DNS manually and it has positively affected my page rendering problems with my Mac, but I can't account for these differences in downloads.  Obviously, I never notice a difference between the two when I'm just browsing, but when push comes to shove it seems the U-Verse connection can't hang.  Also, when I'm streaming Netflix through my 360 (U-verse DMZ Mode), plugged directly into either router - I'll get 3/4 HD bars with U-Verse and 4/4 HD Bars with RoadRunner. 

Any ideas? I'm stumped. 

Internet slow in comparison to newly installed RoadRunner

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2009 6:52:04 PM
(0)
Master

Uverse is interleaved with that comes 9 to 10 ms of extra lag and the other part is how many hops it makes before destination as opposed

to your competitor. the main advantage would be your whole block could be online with Uverse and your speed would stay the same not so

with cable the more people on your block on line the slower the speed from original or at least that was my experience. 

Message Edited by oz on 04-19-2009 08:54 PM

Uverse is interleaved with that comes 9 to 10 ms of extra lag and the other part is how many hops it makes before destination as opposed

to your competitor. the main advantage would be your whole block could be online with Uverse and your speed would stay the same not so

with cable the more people on your block on line the slower the speed from original or at least that was my experience. 

Message Edited by oz on 04-19-2009 08:54 PM

Re: Internet slow in comparison to newly installed RoadRunner

2 of 4 (958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 19, 2009 7:30:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

bmcgns wrote:

Any ideas? I'm stumped. 

Try this to see if you can increase the Uverse speed.  Instead of hard coding the ATT DNS servers, try these Verizon DNS servers 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.4 to see if it speeds things up. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO

bmcgns wrote:

Any ideas? I'm stumped. 

Try this to see if you can increase the Uverse speed.  Instead of hard coding the ATT DNS servers, try these Verizon DNS servers 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.4 to see if it speeds things up. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 4 (958 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 27, 2009 8:49:49 PM
(0)
Tutor

I've followed direction from UverseUsers and turned my own Dlink N router into bridge mode (non DHCP) and turned the wifi off on the 2Wire.  Then I turned the firewall off on the Dlink and have everything but the TV running through the Dlink.  My speeds are now out of this world amazing, though I still have to put the DNS settings in manually on my Macs -- but so far it has solved my speed problems.

I've followed direction from UverseUsers and turned my own Dlink N router into bridge mode (non DHCP) and turned the wifi off on the 2Wire.  Then I turned the firewall off on the Dlink and have everything but the TV running through the Dlink.  My speeds are now out of this world amazing, though I still have to put the DNS settings in manually on my Macs -- but so far it has solved my speed problems.

4 of 4 (958 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments