Internet issue - DSL Training Errors

Contributor

Internet issue - DSL Training Errors

I have had Uverse for about 5 months.  It has been fantastic until last Thursday.  My TV freezes and my wireless reception is suspect all the time - connect, disconnect....  I went into the wireless router settings and I stumbled upon the statistics settings.  I have seen a lot of posts that mention DSL training errors but I have not seen it fully explained.  Anyway, I have what I believe to be unusually high errors.  Can someone tell me if I should be alarmed or what I can do to resolve (I have called AT&T twice today and each time they tell me all is well - but it is not).  I am new to the forum so I hope I am going about posting in the right manner - if not, please let me know.  Thanks.

ScreenShot013.jpg

Message 1 of 5 (1,515 Views)
Mentor

Re: Internet issue - DSL Training Errors

brian0708 wrote:

I have had Uverse for about 5 months.  It has been fantastic until last Thursday.  My TV freezes and my wireless reception is suspect all the time - connect, disconnect....  I went into the wireless router settings and I stumbled upon the statistics settings.  I have seen a lot of posts that mention DSL training errors but I have not seen it fully explained.  Anyway, I have what I believe to be unusually high errors.  Can someone tell me if I should be alarmed or what I can do to resolve (I have called AT&T twice today and each time they tell me all is well - but it is not).  I am new to the forum so I hope I am going about posting in the right manner - if not, please let me know.  Thanks.

Just one tv freezing or do you have others doing the same thing?
 You mentioned that your service was fine for five months, anything new in the house/near the gateway that is electrical or can transmit signals recently?  I ask because EMI could be suspect.  Baby monitors etc have been known to cause interference if they are near the gateway.  I have known people with new washing machines, cordless phones or treadmills that have caused a lot of recent problems when none have been had before.  EMI will effect both wireless signals and picture freezing...
                            Also, has your gateway been factory reset recently?  If so, it will make all the configurations back to default settings for everything.  Make sure wireless channel is on 10. Picture quality could be how the gateway is "trained" but something tells me that there is more going on since you are having trouble now and had not had any problems before.

Message Edited by flourdude on 02-24-2009 09:49 PM
Message 2 of 5 (1,515 Views)
Contributor

I have 4 TV's, I have only seen the issue on 2 of them  - both while watching HD shows.  But I have not really been looking on the other TV's as they are not used often.

Your EMI thoughts are interesting.  Last week, right about the time this started happening, I put new batteries in our cordless phones.  I have had the phones for years and for the past 5 months no issues so I was thinking it was a stretch that new batteries would cause the issue but I took out the batteries and unplugged all of the base units but I am still experiencing issues but I am going to keep them unlpugged tonight to see if anything changes overnight.  I cannot think of anything else that is new or that has been moved that may be the culprit.

I think you are on to something though with the EMI.  My blackberry has the ability to use wifi - so when I am home, it uses wifi.  This has not been working the past few days either.  What is more crazy is both my wife and my cell phone does not connect to the Tmobile Edge network when we are in the home (this also just started happening) - only GSM.  If we walk outside the house, boom - Edge network is available. It almost seems as though I have something in my house interfering with the airwaves?  If I can only figure out what is causing this.....

Lots of weird, unexplained things happening.  As for the error statistics - any thoughts?  Do they seem normal?

Thanks

Message 3 of 5 (1,515 Views)
Master

Brian, I am no magician when it comes to these stats, however, that number for the DSL training errors, I believe that to be some sort of fluke. I have seen that exact same number posted here before and have even seen it once or twice in my own stats.

Nothing major had happened. It just showed up. Very odd.

An old post, but you might get my drift. :smileywink:

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Programming&message.id=14317&query.id=12...

Here's another one and you will see where I posted my stats. Too clarify, we had some electricians in our apartment at the time and I didn't think to unplug the DVR to prevent all the on/off of the electricity they were doing.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Programming&thread.id=8133&view=by_date_...

Perhaps some of these things that happened can help with your problem. You also might just try to reset those numbers and then watch them and keep an eye on them. Overall though, those numbers, save for the training errors, aren't really that bad.

I did do a search of the forum using that number. Here are the results, so you can look thru all of them, to maybe get an idea of what might be wrong. :smileywink: http://utalk.att.com/utalk/search?q=4294967295&submitted=true&page=1

You can use this link to reset your stats. http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J04&THISPAGE=J03&NEXTPAGE=J04 You will need the password off of the RG to access that page. :smileywink:

Message 4 of 5 (1,515 Views)
Expert

Maybe power outages while you were away; happens here a lot and I see the DSL Training Errors...
Message 5 of 5 (1,515 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.