Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 13, 2009
9:53:39 AM
View profile
Internet Speed issue

Hello everyone,

I'm having issues with my internet speed through U-verse. The speed package that I'm on is the 6Mb. My issue is that my wired connection is much slower than my wireless...When using my desktop, which is connected using the Asaka wall plugs, my speed varies wildly. When I start the computer it will by running at 6Mb and will slow all the way down to 2kb within about ten seconds. From then on it will flux between not working at all to about 1.5Mb. I did a speed test on my laptop that is wirelessly connected and got DL of 5.7Mb and UL of 795kb. Speed tests on my desktop will usually report ~3Mb. I've downloaded Auslogic's boostspeed on both and it doesn't seem to have had much of an effect.

Any thoughts on why my wired connection would be slower than my wireless?

Here are the builds so you know:

Desktop 

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Asus TurboTwin motherboard

Sapphire HD 4850 graphics card

4Gb ddr3 1333

running Vista Home Premium 

Laptop 

An old Dell Inspiron 1500

Celeron 2.00GHz processor

640 Mb RAM

Running Windows XP

Thanks for any help!

Saubrey 

Hello everyone,

I'm having issues with my internet speed through U-verse. The speed package that I'm on is the 6Mb. My issue is that my wired connection is much slower than my wireless...When using my desktop, which is connected using the Asaka wall plugs, my speed varies wildly. When I start the computer it will by running at 6Mb and will slow all the way down to 2kb within about ten seconds. From then on it will flux between not working at all to about 1.5Mb. I did a speed test on my laptop that is wirelessly connected and got DL of 5.7Mb and UL of 795kb. Speed tests on my desktop will usually report ~3Mb. I've downloaded Auslogic's boostspeed on both and it doesn't seem to have had much of an effect.

Here are the builds so you know:

Desktop 

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Asus TurboTwin motherboard

Sapphire HD 4850 graphics card

4Gb ddr3 1333

running Vista Home Premium 

Laptop 

An old Dell Inspiron 1500

Celeron 2.00GHz processor

640 Mb RAM

Running Windows XP

Thanks for any help!

Saubrey 

Internet Speed issue

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2009 10:27:54 AM
(0)
Employee

Is this using a "store bought" jumper cable (computer <==>RG) or is it hand-made? (Try a store bought cable)

Verify the duplex setting on both sides. Usually making it "auto" on both sides gets the best results. Setting Auto only on one side frequently leads to duplex mismatch (which is your most likely cause, behind an improperly made cable).

Check it out and let us know

Is this using a "store bought" jumper cable (computer <==>RG) or is it hand-made? (Try a store bought cable)

Verify the duplex setting on both sides. Usually making it "auto" on both sides gets the best results. Setting Auto only on one side frequently leads to duplex mismatch (which is your most likely cause, behind an improperly made cable).

Check it out and let us know

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Internet Speed issue

2 of 6 (927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2009 11:02:11 AM
(0)
Expert

Saubrey wrote:

Hello everyone,

I assume those are some kind of powerline Ethernet adapters?

Since your laptop on wireless seems to have good bandwidth, we can assume the problem is not the U-Verse internet connection.

This leaves either your computer or the powerline Ethernet adapters, so let's isolate the problem to one of them:

- Plug your desktop computer directly into the RG with a good Ethernet cable, and retry your speed tests.

-> Problem continues -> computer problem.  Look at Ethernet driver and/or Ethernet card.  I have seen some motherboards that have bad on-board Ethernet jacks, a PCI/PCIe Ethernet card cured the problem.

-> Problem fixed -> powerline Ethernet adapters are bad or cannot cope with interference on the power lines.

Saubrey wrote:

Hello everyone,

I assume those are some kind of powerline Ethernet adapters?

Since your laptop on wireless seems to have good bandwidth, we can assume the problem is not the U-Verse internet connection.

This leaves either your computer or the powerline Ethernet adapters, so let's isolate the problem to one of them:

- Plug your desktop computer directly into the RG with a good Ethernet cable, and retry your speed tests.

-> Problem continues -> computer problem.  Look at Ethernet driver and/or Ethernet card.  I have seen some motherboards that have bad on-board Ethernet jacks, a PCI/PCIe Ethernet card cured the problem.

-> Problem fixed -> powerline Ethernet adapters are bad or cannot cope with interference on the power lines.

3 of 6 (927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2009 12:02:52 PM
(0)
Master

fwiw

Speed Screen

The Speed Screen displays the speed of your device’s connection to the Powerline network.

You can check the speed of the other devices by clicking on them.

fwiw

Speed Screen

The Speed Screen displays the speed of your device’s connection to the Powerline network.

You can check the speed of the other devices by clicking on them.

4 of 6 (927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 13, 2009 6:49:50 PM
(0)
Contributor

Randy,

You might just be the winner, sir. When the tech came out to set up my U-verse we did all the setup on my laptop because I could bring it into the living room where the hub is. He just gave me the ethernet adapters and told me all I had to do was plug them in. I never received a setup disc with drivers, so I may be using an incorrect driver to communicate with it. 

I'll try to find a place to download the setup file, but if that doesn't work, I'll try the other suggestions.

Thanks so much everyone for the quick replies!

Saubrey 

Randy,

You might just be the winner, sir. When the tech came out to set up my U-verse we did all the setup on my laptop because I could bring it into the living room where the hub is. He just gave me the ethernet adapters and told me all I had to do was plug them in. I never received a setup disc with drivers, so I may be using an incorrect driver to communicate with it. 

I'll try to find a place to download the setup file, but if that doesn't work, I'll try the other suggestions.

Thanks so much everyone for the quick replies!

Saubrey 

5 of 6 (927 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 30, 2009 10:26:39 PM
(0)
Contributor
May be a server a virus problem.Generally wireless internet is slow.you check this website http://www.ip-details.com/ for internet speed checking.
May be a server a virus problem.Generally wireless internet is slow.you check this website http://www.ip-details.com/ for internet speed checking.

6 of 6 (927 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments