Internet Speed for PS3

Contributor

Internet Speed for PS3

Howdy!  I want to switch to ATT U-verse, but my husband is concerned with the Internet speed.  Anyone out there who uses their PS3 for online gaming?  Can ATT U-verse handle it?  Thanks!  :smileyhappy:,
Message 1 of 12
Scholar

Re: Internet Speed for PS3

I play xbox call of duty.  Seems fine to me.  But I'm not the best player out there.  :smileyhappy:

My uverse has an average of 7 milliseconds more latency than my AT&T DSL had prior.  Which in turn was 5 ms faster than cable in our neighborhood.

My typical ping latency to places like Yahoo is about 32 ms, and Google (whose datacenters seem a bit farther away) are typically 47 ms away.  Yahoo seems to colo or have servers near us in Texas (Dallas).  Google usually seems a bit farther away.

Message 2 of 12
Scholar

The speeds are fast enough for online gaming for the PS3. I have my PS3 hardwired to the gateway and it rocks. As for wireless I am not sure if it will be just as good. I have played Mortal Kombat, Madden, and a few other games online with no problem. I also have the lowest internet speed available as I do not need anything faster.
Message 3 of 12
Mentor

I haven't noticed any problems with PS3 and I am only on 3 Mb.  Have never been diconnected from servers while playing either.  I am also hardwired.

Message 4 of 12
Contributor

Thank you all for your help!
Message 5 of 12
Scholar

I have had U-verse for about five weeks and I am definitely glad I made the switch.  Tonight was the first time I have had an issue with on-line gaming related to latency/lag.  Hopefully it is just something out of the ordinary, as my internet speeds and PS3 gaming have been a far better experience over my previous carrier.
Message 6 of 12
Scholar

nern1969 and mikhmln:

Somewhere else on this board or another I read about hardwiring.  I want to hardwire mine as well and attempted to do so, but I am getting a DNS error during the portion of the internet test that says "internet connection."  Did you set your wired connection manually or automatically?  Did you experience any issues when you first set up the connection? 

I currently have a wireless connection that I set up manually.

Message Edited by sharksfansd on 12-06-2009 12:52 AM
Message Edited by sharksfansd on 12-06-2009 12:52 AM
Message 7 of 12
Mentor

Automatic wired connection.  I did not get any of these errors.  Hopefully someone has had a similar issue and has a suggestion.  Did you try another patch cable?
Message 8 of 12
Scholar

mikhmln wrote:
Automatic wired connection.  I did not get any of these errors.  Hopefully someone has had a similar issue and has a suggestion.  Did you try another patch cable?

I was going to try that, but decided to check the "internet connection details" from the Broadband Link Details page.  After updating those I am good to go.  No doubt that the wired connection is working better for me. Thanks for responding.

Message 9 of 12
Contributor

I have been a uverse customer for about 2 months and since i was set up i have yet to get the speed i am paying for. i started out with the 24 meg package when ever i would play my ps3 it would lag like i was trying to play on dial up come to find out i was only getting 3 to 6 megs but being charged for 24. i have had numerous techs come out but with the same results they run speed test from their laptop and then my ps3 and scratch there heads for an hour apologize and leave with my internet speed still crappy. i have dropped my package down to 12 mbps because they could never get higher than that in my off peak hours but still the highest peak i have  gotten was 10.5 mbps and that is very breif so buyer beware if you are switching to uverse sadly that is the only option i have besides comcast and they are also crappy.

Message 10 of 12
Expert

Message 11 of 12
Mentor

yes very much ao i hAVe uverse and i use my ps3 and im always the host on mw2 the connection is AMAZING you always get 5 bars just make sure when they install you reconfigure the ps3 network connection 

Message 12 of 12
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support