Internet Security Warning -- The target principal name is incorrect

Scholar

Internet Security Warning -- The target principal name is incorrect

I am using Microsoft Outlook 2010 running on Microsoft Windows Version 7.0 Ultimate - 64 Bit. While attempting to check E-Mail today I received the Internet Security Warning - The target principal name is incorrect.  The warning message is asking whether or not I want to continue using this server. The certificate information is issued to inbound@att.net and is valid from 09/29/2010 thru 09/30/2011.

The complete message is -- The Server you are connected to is using a certificate that cannot be verified. The target principal name is incorrect.

I have answered NO to the Do you want to continue using this server question.

Is anyone else seeing this? I am located in Houston, TX.

Message 1 of 4 (601 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Internet Security Warning -- The target principal name is incorrect

Did it come up as a message actually from your browser or Outlook in the header or an email?  I've had those type of warnings from FF and if I knew it is legit, just clicked Yes. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4 (593 Views)
Scholar

The message comes up when I first start Outlook 2010 and it does the Send / Receive. The error message has disappeared and I am not able to send and receive E-Mail. A quick search with Google turned up others that have received this message in the past. The source seems to be a misconfigured server which is using a incorrect certificate. Most of the postings indicated that the error message would go away once it could reach one of the other servers with a valid certificate.

Message 3 of 4 (587 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

The weird thing is the email is Yahoo (POP and SMTP) and actually has nothing to do w/att.net. Smiley Surprised

Edit: Unless Outlook is picking it up from the ATT inhouse connection before Yahoo. Smiley Mad

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4 (584 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.