Intermittent TV Freezing / Internet Drops / Loss of Signal Failures / Retrains

Tutor

Intermittent TV Freezing / Internet Drops / Loss of Signal Failures / Retrains

I have been experiencing the intermittent freezing / drops of my U-Verse service.  I have read through a number of threads on this forum and have come to the conclusion that I should be contacting the tier 2 tech support guru... David. U-verse has been installed at my home for just over 4 months now.  Within the past week I have had three techs come to diagnose/correct the problem. First tech found some noise on the coax line. I assisted him in rerouting the coax and cat5e runs to avoid any major power wires. This reduced the noise on the line, but not my loss if signal issues. Second tech replaced the RG and found an issue with the lines at the hub up my street. The third line tech replaced or repaired that line up the street. Not exactly sure which one as I was not home to speak with him while the work was being performed.  Nevertheless, THE PROBLEMS PERSIST!!! I am frustrated and am willing to hear any suggestions for solving this issue. I would much prefer to stay with AT&T than go back to Charter (FML).

My house is wired for cat5e and coax. This wiring is less than 3 years old. NID to RG is run cat5e

cat5e devices: 2 desktops, xbox360 

coax devices: 2 STBs (1dvr)

wireless: 2 iPhones, 3 laptops

I have downloaded U-Verse Realtime and taken the screenshots:

IP/Profile

Bitloading

Coax/HPNA

Error Table

-Chris

Message 1 of 21 (2,792 Views)
Tutor

Re: Intermittent TV Freezing / Internet Drops / Loss of Signal Failures / Retrains

Why didn't I think of that.... 

Message 16 of 21 (1,668 Views)
Expert

Re: Intermittent TV Freezing / Internet Drops / Loss of Signal Failures / Retrains

This looks like there is possibly some type of intermittent interference going on.

You should contact tier 2 and have them send a senior tech that can look for and eliminate these sources of interference. Possible sources include:

* Power line interference, such as:
* Fluorescent light ballasts
* High-intensity gas discharge lights like mercury vapor
* Grounding problems, such as improper ground at the NID, the pedestal, etc.
* Electrical system grounding problems, such as improper ground on the RG's outlet, the breaker panel, etc.
* HAM radio broadcasts in the HF band
* AM radio transmissions, such as a nearby radio station

Try to isolate any potential source of these problems and see if you can find one that eliminates the interference.

Message 17 of 21 (1,621 Views)
Expert

S.J. have you been seeing any freezing and pixelization in your service?  This seems to be a nationwide ocurrence.

Message 18 of 21 (1,612 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

I did on VOD a few weeks back, but it seems to have cleared up, at least in Houston.

I did also notice it on some regular channels, but not as much or for as long a period as what I saw on VOD.  It's also cleared up from what I can tell.

Message 19 of 21 (1,599 Views)
Expert

I have seen them periodically on some channels and in some recordings.  The last time this happened a big update/upgrade was rolled out not too long afterwards.

Message 20 of 21 (1,591 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

Had an oddball freeze on Sunday - while watching the Colts/JAX game.  Key Third Down conversion of course.  I went in and looked at the RG it was blinking red then quickly back to normal.  3 minutes later, TV was back to normal.

When speaking to a Tier2 today about scheduled shows not recording, I mentioned frequent RG reboots.  He checked and I had 13 in the past 48 hours.

He noted that it is most likely:

1. A power RF/EFI issue with the RG

or

2. STB (or that cable run) going bad.

Service is scheduled for 12/31

I could actually have both issues as I believe that I have a battery back up (Belkin) but I do not have U-Voice.  He noted that could be causing errors.  I also have an old cable run that the installer was too lazy to replace.  The T2 groaned when i told him that.  I know that one is bad as when I vacuum over that run, that particular STB will freeze.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 21 of 21 (1,348 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support