Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 20, 2010
9:55:02 AM
View profile
Intermittent TV Freezing / Internet Drops / Loss of Signal Failures / Retrains

I have been experiencing the intermittent freezing / drops of my U-Verse service.  I have read through a number of threads on this forum and have come to the conclusion that I should be contacting the tier 2 tech support guru... David. U-verse has been installed at my home for just over 4 months now.  Within the past week I have had three techs come to diagnose/correct the problem. First tech found some noise on the coax line. I assisted him in rerouting the coax and cat5e runs to avoid any major power wires. This reduced the noise on the line, but not my loss if signal issues. Second tech replaced the RG and found an issue with the lines at the hub up my street. The third line tech replaced or repaired that line up the street. Not exactly sure which one as I was not home to speak with him while the work was being performed.  Nevertheless, THE PROBLEMS PERSIST!!! I am frustrated and am willing to hear any suggestions for solving this issue. I would much prefer to stay with AT&T than go back to Charter (FML).

My house is wired for cat5e and coax. This wiring is less than 3 years old. NID to RG is run cat5e

cat5e devices: 2 desktops, xbox360 

coax devices: 2 STBs (1dvr)

wireless: 2 iPhones, 3 laptops

I have downloaded U-Verse Realtime and taken the screenshots:

IP/Profile

Bitloading

Coax/HPNA

Error Table

-Chris

I have been experiencing the intermittent freezing / drops of my U-Verse service.  I have read through a number of threads on this forum and have come to the conclusion that I should be contacting the tier 2 tech support guru... David. U-verse has been installed at my home for just over 4 months now.  Within the past week I have had three techs come to diagnose/correct the problem. First tech found some noise on the coax line. I assisted him in rerouting the coax and cat5e runs to avoid any major power wires. This reduced the noise on the line, but not my loss if signal issues. Second tech replaced the RG and found an issue with the lines at the hub up my street. The third line tech replaced or repaired that line up the street. Not exactly sure which one as I was not home to speak with him while the work was being performed.  Nevertheless, THE PROBLEMS PERSIST!!! I am frustrated and am willing to hear any suggestions for solving this issue. I would much prefer to stay with AT&T than go back to Charter (FML).

My house is wired for cat5e and coax. This wiring is less than 3 years old. NID to RG is run cat5e

cat5e devices: 2 desktops, xbox360 

coax devices: 2 STBs (1dvr)

wireless: 2 iPhones, 3 laptops

I have downloaded U-Verse Realtime and taken the screenshots:

IP/Profile

Bitloading

Coax/HPNA

Error Table

-Chris

Intermittent TV Freezing / Internet Drops / Loss of Signal Failures / Retrains

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 12:53:02 PM
(0)
Expert

From your error table, it seems clear that the problem is very intermittent.  In the last 15 minutes, you have no retrains or uncorrected blocks, so right now the line is running well.

But in the last 24 hours, there's many things wrong, including uncorrected blocks, retrains, etc.  So we can infer that there is some intermittent interference issue that is causing your line to degrade periodically to the point where the signal is interrupted.

I would begin looking for sources for the interference that are involved with some device that cycles on/off.  Some possibilities:

• Air Conditioner or heater
  • Gas-discharge lighting, like mercury vapor security lights
  • Street light
  • Refrigerator/freezer
  • RF-interference, such as a neighbor who is a HAM radio operator
  • Treadmill or exercise bike
  • Any other device that may have a bad power supply in it

If you find one of these devices as the cause, it probably has a bad power supply in it that needs to be changed out.

Then, I'd make sure you have EFI/RFI isolating surge suppressors on all the U-Verse devices:

• RG
  • STBs/DVR

The ideal EFI/RFI isolating surge suppressors are the Tripp-Lite Isobar power blocks.

From your error table, it seems clear that the problem is very intermittent.  In the last 15 minutes, you have no retrains or uncorrected blocks, so right now the line is running well.

But in the last 24 hours, there's many things wrong, including uncorrected blocks, retrains, etc.  So we can infer that there is some intermittent interference issue that is causing your line to degrade periodically to the point where the signal is interrupted.

I would begin looking for sources for the interference that are involved with some device that cycles on/off.  Some possibilities:

• Air Conditioner or heater
  • Gas-discharge lighting, like mercury vapor security lights
  • Street light
  • Refrigerator/freezer
  • RF-interference, such as a neighbor who is a HAM radio operator
  • Treadmill or exercise bike
  • Any other device that may have a bad power supply in it

If you find one of these devices as the cause, it probably has a bad power supply in it that needs to be changed out.

Then, I'd make sure you have EFI/RFI isolating surge suppressors on all the U-Verse devices:

• RG
  • STBs/DVR

The ideal EFI/RFI isolating surge suppressors are the Tripp-Lite Isobar power blocks.

Re: Intermittent TV Freezing / Internet Drops / Loss of Signal Failures / Retrains

2 of 21 (2,383 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 4:01:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

With all of the uncorrected errors the OP is getting could it be a problem with their install?  I have/am experiencing what happens when a device is turned on at my home.  Our treadmill severely interrupts our service, but I get on it at 7am, and my daughter uses it at about 9am when no one is watching tv or recording programs.  If it gets to be a big enough issue then I will buy a filter.

With all of the uncorrected errors the OP is getting could it be a problem with their install?  I have/am experiencing what happens when a device is turned on at my home.  Our treadmill severely interrupts our service, but I get on it at 7am, and my daughter uses it at about 9am when no one is watching tv or recording programs.  If it gets to be a big enough issue then I will buy a filter.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Intermittent TV Freezing / Internet Drops / Loss of Signal Failures / Retrains

3 of 21 (2,337 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 5:03:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same problem here.  Rerouted cat5 line, rerouted coax line, switched from wireless to hard wire on computer and was OK for a while but started again a few days ago.  They're coming out for the 900th time tomorrow.  Hope this is the last time.

Same problem here.  Rerouted cat5 line, rerouted coax line, switched from wireless to hard wire on computer and was OK for a while but started again a few days ago.  They're coming out for the 900th time tomorrow.  Hope this is the last time.

4 of 21 (2,325 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 5:16:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

There are a few of us that believe we are all experiencing the freezing and pixelization because ATT is preparing to do a big rollout.  In the past subs in every region have experienced these two issues that were followed by a big rollout.  Hopefully we are right.

There are a few of us that believe we are all experiencing the freezing and pixelization because ATT is preparing to do a big rollout.  In the past subs in every region have experienced these two issues that were followed by a big rollout.  Hopefully we are right.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 21 (2,317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 5:57:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

...Update...

I have wired a new circuit in the house for for the RG. It is now alone on its own circuit. It should be noted that the previous power source was not grounded!... 1960s wiring FTL. The new circuit is grounded and I also installed a NON-isolated surge protection outlet (not a stand alone surge protector). I may add a stand alone in the future pending the results of this upgrade.

SomeJoe7777, I don't think that I have any issues with interference from the HVAC or similar equipment. It is on and off all day long and has never coincided with a signal loss. However, the mention of the HAM radio interference caught my eye. Believe it or not, I DO have a neighbor that operates an amateur radio! The tower is located approximately 700-1000 feet from my residence.  I'm no expert in that area so I have no idea what kind of interference that may cause to my service.

I've reset my RG statistics and I will post some new screen shots after a day or so of logging. I did already notice a 1db boost in noise margin and the max downstream rate jumped about 1,000 Kbps. I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, but it definitely has had some affect.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

...Update...

I have wired a new circuit in the house for for the RG. It is now alone on its own circuit. It should be noted that the previous power source was not grounded!... 1960s wiring FTL. The new circuit is grounded and I also installed a NON-isolated surge protection outlet (not a stand alone surge protector). I may add a stand alone in the future pending the results of this upgrade.

SomeJoe7777, I don't think that I have any issues with interference from the HVAC or similar equipment. It is on and off all day long and has never coincided with a signal loss. However, the mention of the HAM radio interference caught my eye. Believe it or not, I DO have a neighbor that operates an amateur radio! The tower is located approximately 700-1000 feet from my residence.  I'm no expert in that area so I have no idea what kind of interference that may cause to my service.

I've reset my RG statistics and I will post some new screen shots after a day or so of logging. I did already notice a 1db boost in noise margin and the max downstream rate jumped about 1,000 Kbps. I'm not getting my hopes up just yet, but it definitely has had some affect.

6 of 21 (2,297 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2010 6:04:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Cool.

Cool.

7 of 21 (2,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 8:49:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Had an oddball freeze on Sunday - while watching the Colts/JAX game.  Key Third Down conversion of course.  I went in and looked at the RG it was blinking red then quickly back to normal.  3 minutes later, TV was back to normal.

Had an oddball freeze on Sunday - while watching the Colts/JAX game.  Key Third Down conversion of course.  I went in and looked at the RG it was blinking red then quickly back to normal.  3 minutes later, TV was back to normal.

8 of 21 (2,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 2:59:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

Well after ~1 day of logging, here are the results:

Obviously an improvement and no Loss of Signals or Retrains...yet

Well after ~1 day of logging, here are the results:

Obviously an improvement and no Loss of Signals or Retrains...yet

9 of 21 (2,155 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 3:07:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by dhascall on Dec 21, 2010 at 3:07:45 PM

I'm no exprt at reading the bitload image but around both 5 and 6 MHz looks odd.  SJ7777?

I'm no exprt at reading the bitload image but around both 5 and 6 MHz looks odd.  SJ7777?

[ Edited ]
10 of 21 (2,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

11 of 21 (1,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 3:21:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Could be a bridge tap somewhere in the line between your home and the VRAD.  IMO  That would mean you need an I&R tech to come and check the lines.

Could be a bridge tap somewhere in the line between your home and the VRAD.  IMO  That would mean you need an I&R tech to come and check the lines.

12 of 21 (1,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 21, 2010 4:30:25 PM
(0)
Expert

Those stats look better, there have been no retrains and only a handful of uncorrected blocks.

The oddities in the bitloading graph I believe are caused because the line profile is only 25/2.  If the profile were the recommended 32/5, the loading would be more even across the spectrum.

I don't think there's any bridge tap here, the max rate is above average for his distance, and a bridge tap normally would cause a lot of attenuation, reducing the max rate.

Those stats look better, there have been no retrains and only a handful of uncorrected blocks.

The oddities in the bitloading graph I believe are caused because the line profile is only 25/2.  If the profile were the recommended 32/5, the loading would be more even across the spectrum.

I don't think there's any bridge tap here, the max rate is above average for his distance, and a bridge tap normally would cause a lot of attenuation, reducing the max rate.

13 of 21 (1,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 9:27:46 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well, I thought I had nixed this problem until i woke up this morning and checked my RG stats... 8 retrains, 31 loss of signal, and numerous uncorrectable blocks in the last 24 hours. Smiley Sad  I'm not sure what to do next. HELP!!!

Well, I thought I had nixed this problem until i woke up this morning and checked my RG stats... 8 retrains, 31 loss of signal, and numerous uncorrectable blocks in the last 24 hours. Smiley Sad  I'm not sure what to do next. HELP!!!

14 of 21 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 9:34:56 AM
(0)
Master

call tech suppport  or  wait for a heal thy-self miracle..

imho

call tech suppport  or  wait for a heal thy-self miracle..

imho

15 of 21 (1,381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 24, 2010 9:38:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

Why didn't I think of that.... 

Why didn't I think of that.... 

16 of 21 (1,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 10:17:31 AM
(0)
Expert

This looks like there is possibly some type of intermittent interference going on.

You should contact tier 2 and have them send a senior tech that can look for and eliminate these sources of interference. Possible sources include:

* Power line interference, such as:
* Fluorescent light ballasts
* High-intensity gas discharge lights like mercury vapor
* Grounding problems, such as improper ground at the NID, the pedestal, etc.
* Electrical system grounding problems, such as improper ground on the RG's outlet, the breaker panel, etc.
* HAM radio broadcasts in the HF band
* AM radio transmissions, such as a nearby radio station

Try to isolate any potential source of these problems and see if you can find one that eliminates the interference.

This looks like there is possibly some type of intermittent interference going on.

You should contact tier 2 and have them send a senior tech that can look for and eliminate these sources of interference. Possible sources include:

* Power line interference, such as:
* Fluorescent light ballasts
* High-intensity gas discharge lights like mercury vapor
* Grounding problems, such as improper ground at the NID, the pedestal, etc.
* Electrical system grounding problems, such as improper ground on the RG's outlet, the breaker panel, etc.
* HAM radio broadcasts in the HF band
* AM radio transmissions, such as a nearby radio station

Try to isolate any potential source of these problems and see if you can find one that eliminates the interference.

17 of 21 (1,328 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 11:25:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

S.J. have you been seeing any freezing and pixelization in your service?  This seems to be a nationwide ocurrence.

S.J. have you been seeing any freezing and pixelization in your service?  This seems to be a nationwide ocurrence.

18 of 21 (1,319 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 11:51:07 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Dec 25, 2010 at 11:51:46 AM

I did on VOD a few weeks back, but it seems to have cleared up, at least in Houston.

I did also notice it on some regular channels, but not as much or for as long a period as what I saw on VOD.  It's also cleared up from what I can tell.

I did on VOD a few weeks back, but it seems to have cleared up, at least in Houston.

I did also notice it on some regular channels, but not as much or for as long a period as what I saw on VOD.  It's also cleared up from what I can tell.

[ Edited ]
19 of 21 (1,306 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 25, 2010 12:06:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

I have seen them periodically on some channels and in some recordings.  The last time this happened a big update/upgrade was rolled out not too long afterwards.

I have seen them periodically on some channels and in some recordings.  The last time this happened a big update/upgrade was rolled out not too long afterwards.

20 of 21 (1,298 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 27, 2010 1:16:13 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dhascall wrote:

When speaking to a Tier2 today about scheduled shows not recording, I mentioned frequent RG reboots.  He checked and I had 13 in the past 48 hours.

He noted that it is most likely:

1. A power RF/EFI issue with the RG

or

2. STB (or that cable run) going bad.

Service is scheduled for 12/31

I could actually have both issues as I believe that I have a battery back up (Belkin) but I do not have U-Voice.  He noted that could be causing errors.  I also have an old cable run that the installer was too lazy to replace.  The T2 groaned when i told him that.  I know that one is bad as when I vacuum over that run, that particular STB will freeze.

dhascall wrote:

When speaking to a Tier2 today about scheduled shows not recording, I mentioned frequent RG reboots.  He checked and I had 13 in the past 48 hours.

He noted that it is most likely:

1. A power RF/EFI issue with the RG

or

2. STB (or that cable run) going bad.

Service is scheduled for 12/31

I could actually have both issues as I believe that I have a battery back up (Belkin) but I do not have U-Voice.  He noted that could be causing errors.  I also have an old cable run that the installer was too lazy to replace.  The T2 groaned when i told him that.  I know that one is bad as when I vacuum over that run, that particular STB will freeze.

21 of 21 (1,055 Views)