Install this Wednesday, what to expect.

Teacher

Install this Wednesday, what to expect.

Hi all,

I'm having the Ultimate triple package installed (NW Chicago) and had some questions.

How do they wire up the receivers? coax? cat5?

I have coax going to both my TVs for my Dish but I was hoping to keep Dish there for a while since I'll most likely be going back to it (I have very low expectations for UV HD).

The main reason for the switch was the Internet and phone service, but the sales guy sold me on the TV, to at least try it out in the trial period.

From what I've seen in the store (live stream) HD quality is not as good (one of the guys told me to take a few steps back for better quality LOL). And the fact that it's only 2 HD streams to the house compared to the 4 (6 with 2 Off-Air) I have with Dish makes me think I'll be keeping Dish.

And finally, what HD on Demand channels does UV offer right now. If for some reason the PQ is better than what I've seen I might be okay with 2 HD streams if the on-DemandHD channel selection is good.

Thanks,

-Kamil

Message 1 of 25 (1,118 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Install this Wednesday, what to expect.

kamil212 wrote:

One major flaw I came across: can't pause/rewind live TV on the non-dvr box Smiley Indifferent

This might be a deal breaker here. I mean, seriously?

I hate the idea of the one shared dvr. Why can't they have an option for the like of us that don't like sharing lol.

There is the oft-posted work around of recording any program you expect to want to PAUSE/REW, then immediately switch to watching the recording of it.  It has been rumored that the functionality you want will be part of the third phase of the THDVR product.  We are currently in phase two, and no one has announced publicly when phase 3 will roll out. 

Zoltar may know, but he's not telling.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 25 (547 Views)
Expert

Live pause/rewind features on non-DVR boxes are coming in Phase 3; when that will be exactly, is unknown (predicted for EOY 2010).

Message 17 of 25 (535 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

JefferMC wrote:

kamil212 wrote:

One major flaw I came across: can't pause/rewind live TV on the non-dvr box Smiley Indifferent

I hate the idea of the one shared dvr. Why can't they have an option for the like of us that don't like sharing lol.

There is the oft-posted work around of recording any program you expect to want to PAUSE/REW, then immediately switch to watching the recording of it.  It has been rumored that the functionality you want will be part of the third phase of the THDVR product.  We are currently in phase two, and no one has announced publicly when phase 3 will roll out. 

Yes, this is exactly what I do.  Record the show you're watching and then play it.  Since you would be watching it anyway it takes no extra streams.  

Message 18 of 25 (530 Views)

gght wrote:

"I did notice that my 24Mbs connection goes down to 18Mbs when watching TV thou, but I don't consider that a huge deal."

That's interesting. I wonder if just the higher rate packages decrease or do they all? I have the 12Mbps deal and notice no degradation when two HD streams are running at the same time.

I think it depends more on the profile rate.  You can get 6 mbps Internet and be on the 32 mbps profile for TV and Phone.  In that case you're not likely to see the Internet impacted.  24 mbps Internet gives you the ability to use most of the profile rate for other purposes if available. 

Message 19 of 25 (526 Views)
ACE - Expert

JefferMC wrote:

gght wrote:

"I did notice that my 24Mbs connection goes down to 18Mbs when watching TV thou, but I don't consider that a huge deal."

That's interesting. I wonder if just the higher rate packages decrease or do they all? I have the 12Mbps deal and notice no degradation when two HD streams are running at the same time.

This really shouldn't surprise anyone.  Each HD stream requires about 6 Mbps of bandwidth.  2 times 6 Mbps is 12 Mbps.  His WAN profile is 32/5, which means he has 32 Mbps of bandwidth to work from.

32 - 12 gives 20 Mbps, which could appear to be 18 Mbps, so he would notice.  20 Mbps is plenty more than 12 Mbps so you'd not see this issue.

Both 24M and 18M can be affected when all three HD stream streams and SD stream are in use. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, Press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 25 (519 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

JefferMC wrote:

kamil212 wrote:

Yeah, I figured that could be done (record it), but it's just a hassle.

What worries me is that I see posts from 2008 mentioning that this functionality will be available soon LOL

Also, is there a way to get to the favorites list directly from the remote? instead of going to the menu. I know it's only an extra 3 button clicks but it's still bugging me lol. (WTH are those color buttons in the middle of the remote???)

(BTW, I found a way to program the remote to turn on my audio receiver and control the volume on it, which I'll try tonight. Really happy about this one)

Message 21 of 25 (535 Views)
Expert

For quick access to Favorites, use the Zoom button (recently added feature).

Message 22 of 25 (531 Views)
Teacher

spd2demun wrote:

For quick access to Favorites, use the Zoom button (recently added feature).

Are  you saying the button in the lower right opens the favorites list?

And what are those A B C buttons?

Message 23 of 25 (520 Views)
Expert

Yes, the Zoom/Enter button.

A opens U-bar; B and C are still unassigned.

Message 24 of 25 (516 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

spd2demun wrote:

Yes, the Zoom/Enter button.

A opens U-bar; B and C are still unassigned.

The Zoom button when pressed opens to a menu with options on top (Favorites, Zoom, Audio), scroll left or right to get to the favorites option Smiley Happy

Message 25 of 25 (498 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.