If I pay for the internet I want the internet.

Contributor

If I pay for the internet I want the internet.

So, I was thinking of switching back to you guys, after a while of not using you and going with cable servious that craps out atleast twice a day.  Then I found out something interesting.  If I pay to get online, I want access to all the websites out there.  Who are you to tell me I cannot get on websites, who are you to block them from your paying customers?  Is it just hype, or did you guys really block the /B/ board on 4chan?
Message 1 of 28 (952 Views)
Scholar

Re: If I pay for the internet I want the internet.

none of those sites are blocked for me.  maybe it was a security issue as what was mentioned earlier int he post.
Message 16 of 28 (427 Views)

it wasn't "censoring", there were DOS attacks being launched, and AT&T is not the only one to have blocked them.  See the story on dslreports.com for more detail and an AT&T statement on the matter. 
Message 17 of 28 (427 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Message 18 of 28 (427 Views)
Tutor

The press release is a bunch of crap that at&t is throwing out there to cover up for them trying to cencer the interent, I am willing to bet they cracked under pressure. Also as a side note, ONE SERVER CAN NOT DDOS PEOPLE.
Message 19 of 28 (427 Views)
Employee

When you get in the middle of a DDOS I guess you don't want anybody to do anything because it might block a site. It's sad to see your life revolves around and falls apart over access to one site. I hope the site stays up so you don't come back.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 20 of 28 (427 Views)
Expert

Escapee wrote:
When you get in the middle of a DDOS I guess you don't want anybody to do anything because it might block a site. It's sad to see your life revolves around and falls apart over access to one site. I hope the site stays up so you don't come back.

After reading subrand0m 1st post, I couldn't agree you more.
Message 21 of 28 (806 Views)
Scholar

ok GG time warner.
Message 22 of 28 (806 Views)
Guru

subrand0m wrote:
The press release is a bunch of crap that at&t is throwing out there to cover up for them trying to cencer the interent, I am willing to bet they cracked under pressure. Also as a side note, ONE SERVER CAN NOT DDOS PEOPLE.

Yes it is a conspiracy where everybody is lying. Oh no look out ATT is going to shut down the internet. The Aliens that have been covered up are ready to take over the earth in their flying saucers too. Oh and the Mayan calendar is ending so the world will end in 2012.

Message 23 of 28 (806 Views)
Expert

My UFO takes offense to that comment. :smileywink:
Message 24 of 28 (806 Views)
Guru

spd2demun wrote:
My UFO takes offense to that comment. :smileywink:

Pics or link.:smileyvery-happy:

Message 25 of 28 (806 Views)
Expert

Message 26 of 28 (806 Views)
Guru

spd2demun wrote:
On vacation...

Your always a step ahead of me.:mansurprised:

Message 27 of 28 (806 Views)
Scholar

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS

AT&T says Web site block was not censorship

NEW YORK (AP) - AT&T Inc. blocked freewheeling Web site 4chan.org this weekend, leading to accusations of censorship, but the reason for the action turned out to be a routine security measure.

The Web forums at 4chan are full of explicit images, and the site has been cited as the source of several Internet pranks. Internet users speculated on Twitter and in other forums that AT&T, the country's largest Internet service provider, was overstepping its rights by blocking the site.

The phone company blocked access to 4chan on Friday to protect broadband customers from a "denial of service" attack, which floods targets with meaningless traffic, AT&T spokesman Michael Coe said Monday.

On Sunday, AT&T concluded that the attack was over and restored access.

A posting on 4chan's blog on Monday, signed by founder Christopher Poole, said 4chan has been a target of a denial of service attack for weeks. To defend itself, it took measures that resulted in a backwash of traffic hitting other Internet users, including some AT&T customers. The posting said AT&T acted unnecessarily broadly in blocking access to the site for all customers.

"In the end, this wasn't a sinister act of censorship, but rather a bit of a mistake and a poorly executed, disproportionate response on AT&T's part," Poole said.

Message 28 of 28 (806 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.