Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 26, 2009
7:12:05 PM
View profile
If I pay for the internet I want the internet.
So, I was thinking of switching back to you guys, after a while of not using you and going with cable servious that craps out atleast twice a day.  Then I found out something interesting.  If I pay to get online, I want access to all the websites out there.  Who are you to tell me I cannot get on websites, who are you to block them from your paying customers?  Is it just hype, or did you guys really block the /B/ board on 4chan?
So, I was thinking of switching back to you guys, after a while of not using you and going with cable servious that craps out atleast twice a day.  Then I found out something interesting.  If I pay to get online, I want access to all the websites out there.  Who are you to tell me I cannot get on websites, who are you to block them from your paying customers?  Is it just hype, or did you guys really block the /B/ board on 4chan?

If I pay for the internet I want the internet.

27 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(27)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 7:20:44 PM
(0)
Professor
How do you know AT&T actively is blocking access from their customers to that website and not just a link or route to it is down?
How do you know AT&T actively is blocking access from their customers to that website and not just a link or route to it is down?

Re: If I pay for the internet I want the internet.

2 of 28 (883 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 8:11:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

I can confirm block. Access Information and news online. The details are still being worked out, but most part it seems true.

http://mashable.com/2009/07/26/report-att-blocking-4chan/

http://www.centralgadget.com/att-blocking-access-to-portions-of-4chan-2336/

http://stormen.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/att-blocks-4chan/

And if this is not resolved SOON, I will be switching to another provider. I'm very disappointed in AT&T.

I can confirm block. Access Information and news online. The details are still being worked out, but most part it seems true.

http://mashable.com/2009/07/26/report-att-blocking-4chan/

http://www.centralgadget.com/att-blocking-access-to-portions-of-4chan-2336/

http://stormen.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/att-blocks-4chan/

And if this is not resolved SOON, I will be switching to another provider. I'm very disappointed in AT&T.

3 of 28 (883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 8:11:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

No, it if offical at&t is blocking 4chan. I am wondering if they know what they are doing, seeing as Mr. Randall Stephenson, CEO of AT&T has had all of his personal information plastered all over the internet already.

Here's more of his contact information:  {Edited for privacy.}

I have filtered out most of the information on it, but this was taken from the /b/ board on 4chan, if you have not seen how they react when scinontoly acted out, what makes you think they will treat at&t any different?

Some more info on how they are combating at&t

THINGS THAT HELP
-Spreading the word to EVERYONE that AT&T is banning sites
-Using hotbutton words like "censorship" and "net neutrality" and "unconstitutional"
-remembering that only 0.1% of internet users care about /b/, and "DEY TOOKUR /B/" will barely stir up anyone
-Sidewalk chalk
-Keeping Anonymous updated thru dramatica, insurgen.info, partyvan.info, Digg, etc. etc.

THINGS THAT DONT HELP
-DDOS
-LOIC
-Ordering Pizzas
-Prank calling (were you really thinking about doing it to the CEO of the biggest phone company in history? derp)

Sad to say most will not follow this and if the ban is not lifted I am willing to bet DDos, Loic and probably ordering of pizzas will happen, the prank calls will happen if we tell them to are not that is just a given.

clearly I hope you love that pizza, since there is about 20 heading that way right now Mr. Randall Stephenson.

I must note, I am doing nothing that is listed above, I have comcast for a internet provider, I am just sitting by laughing at all the stuff that is going to happen to at&t. 

Only way to stop it is to lift the ban on the website.

Message Edited by TreyW on 07-26-2009 08:31 PM
Message Edited by TreyW on 07-26-2009 08:32 PM

No, it if offical at&t is blocking 4chan. I am wondering if they know what they are doing, seeing as Mr. Randall Stephenson, CEO of AT&T has had all of his personal information plastered all over the internet already.

Here's more of his contact information:  {Edited for privacy.}

I have filtered out most of the information on it, but this was taken from the /b/ board on 4chan, if you have not seen how they react when scinontoly acted out, what makes you think they will treat at&t any different?

Some more info on how they are combating at&t

THINGS THAT HELP
-Spreading the word to EVERYONE that AT&T is banning sites
-Using hotbutton words like "censorship" and "net neutrality" and "unconstitutional"
-remembering that only 0.1% of internet users care about /b/, and "DEY TOOKUR /B/" will barely stir up anyone
-Sidewalk chalk
-Keeping Anonymous updated thru dramatica, insurgen.info, partyvan.info, Digg, etc. etc.

THINGS THAT DONT HELP
-DDOS
-LOIC
-Ordering Pizzas
-Prank calling (were you really thinking about doing it to the CEO of the biggest phone company in history? derp)

Sad to say most will not follow this and if the ban is not lifted I am willing to bet DDos, Loic and probably ordering of pizzas will happen, the prank calls will happen if we tell them to are not that is just a given.

clearly I hope you love that pizza, since there is about 20 heading that way right now Mr. Randall Stephenson.

I must note, I am doing nothing that is listed above, I have comcast for a internet provider, I am just sitting by laughing at all the stuff that is going to happen to at&t. 

Only way to stop it is to lift the ban on the website.

Message Edited by TreyW on 07-26-2009 08:31 PM
Message Edited by TreyW on 07-26-2009 08:32 PM

4 of 28 (883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 9:46:26 PM
(0)
Expert

I can access it.

Maybe someone in your house (parents?) blocked the site?

I can access it.

Maybe someone in your house (parents?) blocked the site?

5 of 28 (883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 10:01:42 PM
(0)
Master
Not blocked here either.
Not blocked here either.

6 of 28 (883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 10:03:12 PM
(0)
Expert
Are we special?
Are we special?

7 of 28 (883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 10:06:24 PM
(0)
Master

spd2demun wrote:
Are we special?

I think so. 

spd2demun wrote:
Are we special?

I think so. 

8 of 28 (883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 10:20:08 PM
(0)
Contributor
This is **bleep**ing stupid. I have had nothing but trouble with the UVerse since I got it, and now this is just the last **bleep**ing straw. I cannot access 4chan either. Way to be **bleep** backward retards, AT&T. I'll be calling in the morning.
This is **bleep**ing stupid. I have had nothing but trouble with the UVerse since I got it, and now this is just the last **bleep**ing straw. I cannot access 4chan either. Way to be **bleep** backward retards, AT&T. I'll be calling in the morning.

9 of 28 (883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 10:23:18 PM
(0)
Expert
Hmmm...4 people with 1 post, just registered, same gripe?
Hmmm...4 people with 1 post, just registered, same gripe?

10 of 28 (883 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 10:36:17 PM
(0)
Scholar
I can't access it, either, and neither can many people I know. It might be something to do with a specific IP range, or who knows. All I know is that people on DSL Reports (that have access to the at&t direct forum, so are employees) have confirmed that at&t is blocking it due to their internet policy department, and they'll 'try to have information tomorrow'. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22769846-ATT-blocking-img4chanorg This is a load of crap, to be honest.
I can't access it, either, and neither can many people I know. It might be something to do with a specific IP range, or who knows. All I know is that people on DSL Reports (that have access to the at&t direct forum, so are employees) have confirmed that at&t is blocking it due to their internet policy department, and they'll 'try to have information tomorrow'. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22769846-ATT-blocking-img4chanorg This is a load of crap, to be honest.

11 of 28 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 11:10:40 PM
(0)
Contributor
I just started with AT&T last month after moving into my first real house. It sucks to have to switch ISP's so early, but there really isn't any choice. If AT&T is willing to take it upon itself to censor the internet for its users, I will find someone that won't. This company has shown nothing but pure contempt for it's customers, making their claims about caring all the more hypocritical. Individuals have been lied to by CSRs and their suppervisors as to the nature of the blockage (they claimed it was 4chan's fault). The public has been lied to about AT&T contacting Moot/4chan (They haven't). This is an utter disgrace. If I wanted to have my internet censored I'd move to Tehran. I hope Randall Stephenson is enjoying desecrating the 1st amendment while it lasts. Sooner or later this WILL affect the bottom line.
I just started with AT&T last month after moving into my first real house. It sucks to have to switch ISP's so early, but there really isn't any choice. If AT&T is willing to take it upon itself to censor the internet for its users, I will find someone that won't. This company has shown nothing but pure contempt for it's customers, making their claims about caring all the more hypocritical. Individuals have been lied to by CSRs and their suppervisors as to the nature of the blockage (they claimed it was 4chan's fault). The public has been lied to about AT&T contacting Moot/4chan (They haven't). This is an utter disgrace. If I wanted to have my internet censored I'd move to Tehran. I hope Randall Stephenson is enjoying desecrating the 1st amendment while it lasts. Sooner or later this WILL affect the bottom line.

12 of 28 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 11:15:05 PM
(0)
Expert

I read that article and that they said ATT would not comment.

Has anyone else tried calling to find out why some can view it and others can't?

I read that article and that they said ATT would not comment.

Has anyone else tried calling to find out why some can view it and others can't?

13 of 28 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 11:32:59 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

According to posters on dslreports, the site is no longer blocked.  Something about AT&T had blocked the site due to a DDOS attack.

According to posters on dslreports, the site is no longer blocked.  Something about AT&T had blocked the site due to a DDOS attack.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 28 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2009 2:03:39 AM
(0)
Guru

anon1234 wrote:

Uhhhh. This is a peer to peer forum not an ATT contact board. To answer your post though there are alot of things going on with 4chan related to attacks so you might want to just sit back for a couple of days and see what plays out.

Message Edited by caliuser on 07-27-2009 02:04 AM

anon1234 wrote:

Uhhhh. This is a peer to peer forum not an ATT contact board. To answer your post though there are alot of things going on with 4chan related to attacks so you might want to just sit back for a couple of days and see what plays out.

Message Edited by caliuser on 07-27-2009 02:04 AM

15 of 28 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2009 5:26:19 AM
(0)
Scholar
none of those sites are blocked for me.  maybe it was a security issue as what was mentioned earlier int he post.
none of those sites are blocked for me.  maybe it was a security issue as what was mentioned earlier int he post.

16 of 28 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2009 10:25:01 AM
(0)
Scholar
it wasn't "censoring", there were DOS attacks being launched, and AT&T is not the only one to have blocked them.  See the story on dslreports.com for more detail and an AT&T statement on the matter. 
it wasn't "censoring", there were DOS attacks being launched, and AT&T is not the only one to have blocked them.  See the story on dslreports.com for more detail and an AT&T statement on the matter. 

17 of 28 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2009 2:52:22 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

18 of 28 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2009 3:51:09 PM
(0)
Tutor
The press release is a bunch of crap that at&t is throwing out there to cover up for them trying to cencer the interent, I am willing to bet they cracked under pressure. Also as a side note, ONE SERVER CAN NOT DDOS PEOPLE.
The press release is a bunch of crap that at&t is throwing out there to cover up for them trying to cencer the interent, I am willing to bet they cracked under pressure. Also as a side note, ONE SERVER CAN NOT DDOS PEOPLE.

19 of 28 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2009 3:51:41 PM
(0)
Employee
When you get in the middle of a DDOS I guess you don't want anybody to do anything because it might block a site. It's sad to see your life revolves around and falls apart over access to one site. I hope the site stays up so you don't come back.
When you get in the middle of a DDOS I guess you don't want anybody to do anything because it might block a site. It's sad to see your life revolves around and falls apart over access to one site. I hope the site stays up so you don't come back.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

20 of 28 (358 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2009 4:38:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Escapee wrote:

After reading subrand0m 1st post, I couldn't agree you more.

Escapee wrote:

After reading subrand0m 1st post, I couldn't agree you more.

21 of 28 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 27, 2009 4:38:49 PM
(0)
Scholar
ok GG time warner.
ok GG time warner.

22 of 28 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2009 12:23:26 AM
(0)
Guru

subrand0m wrote:

Yes it is a conspiracy where everybody is lying. Oh no look out ATT is going to shut down the internet. The Aliens that have been covered up are ready to take over the earth in their flying saucers too. Oh and the Mayan calendar is ending so the world will end in 2012.

subrand0m wrote:

Yes it is a conspiracy where everybody is lying. Oh no look out ATT is going to shut down the internet. The Aliens that have been covered up are ready to take over the earth in their flying saucers too. Oh and the Mayan calendar is ending so the world will end in 2012.

23 of 28 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2009 12:31:01 AM
(0)
Expert
My UFO takes offense to that comment. :smileywink:

24 of 28 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2009 12:41:16 AM
(0)
Guru

spd2demun wrote:

Pics or link.:smileyvery-happy:

spd2demun wrote:

Pics or link.:smileyvery-happy:

25 of 28 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2009 1:30:04 AM
(0)
Expert

26 of 28 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2009 1:42:31 AM
(0)
Guru

spd2demun wrote:
On vacation...

Your always a step ahead of me.:mansurprised:

spd2demun wrote:
On vacation...

Your always a step ahead of me.:mansurprised:

27 of 28 (737 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 28, 2009 6:23:21 AM
(0)
Scholar

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS

AT&T says Web site block was not censorship

NEW YORK (AP) - AT&T Inc. blocked freewheeling Web site 4chan.org this weekend, leading to accusations of censorship, but the reason for the action turned out to be a routine security measure.

The Web forums at 4chan are full of explicit images, and the site has been cited as the source of several Internet pranks. Internet users speculated on Twitter and in other forums that AT&T, the country's largest Internet service provider, was overstepping its rights by blocking the site.

The phone company blocked access to 4chan on Friday to protect broadband customers from a "denial of service" attack, which floods targets with meaningless traffic, AT&T spokesman Michael Coe said Monday.

On Sunday, AT&T concluded that the attack was over and restored access.

A posting on 4chan's blog on Monday, signed by founder Christopher Poole, said 4chan has been a target of a denial of service attack for weeks. To defend itself, it took measures that resulted in a backwash of traffic hitting other Internet users, including some AT&T customers. The posting said AT&T acted unnecessarily broadly in blocking access to the site for all customers.

"In the end, this wasn't a sinister act of censorship, but rather a bit of a mistake and a poorly executed, disproportionate response on AT&T's part," Poole said.

ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTIONS REGARDING THIS

AT&T says Web site block was not censorship

NEW YORK (AP) - AT&T Inc. blocked freewheeling Web site 4chan.org this weekend, leading to accusations of censorship, but the reason for the action turned out to be a routine security measure.

The Web forums at 4chan are full of explicit images, and the site has been cited as the source of several Internet pranks. Internet users speculated on Twitter and in other forums that AT&T, the country's largest Internet service provider, was overstepping its rights by blocking the site.

The phone company blocked access to 4chan on Friday to protect broadband customers from a "denial of service" attack, which floods targets with meaningless traffic, AT&T spokesman Michael Coe said Monday.

On Sunday, AT&T concluded that the attack was over and restored access.

A posting on 4chan's blog on Monday, signed by founder Christopher Poole, said 4chan has been a target of a denial of service attack for weeks. To defend itself, it took measures that resulted in a backwash of traffic hitting other Internet users, including some AT&T customers. The posting said AT&T acted unnecessarily broadly in blocking access to the site for all customers.

"In the end, this wasn't a sinister act of censorship, but rather a bit of a mistake and a poorly executed, disproportionate response on AT&T's part," Poole said.

28 of 28 (737 Views)