U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 11, 2010
2:27:28 PM
View profile
I38HG INID wireless button?

Does anyone using an I38HG INID (indoor) access point know what the function of the button switch at the bottom of the front panel is or does.  The button has a wireless icon on it and an associated light.  However, it is separate from the wireless indicator light, which is above it with the other activity lights.

Does anyone using an I38HG INID (indoor) access point know what the function of the button switch at the bottom of the front panel is or does.  The button has a wireless icon on it and an associated light.  However, it is separate from the wireless indicator light, which is above it with the other activity lights.

I38HG INID wireless button?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 4:01:36 PM
(0)
Expert

I don't know what the iNID indoor wireless looks like, but the one we have on the 2Wire 3800 looks like a keyhole with wireless waves on it. 

Ours is a Guest Pass feature where you can allow visitors access to your WAP.   Does nothing as ATT has it disabled.

I don't know what the iNID indoor wireless looks like, but the one we have on the 2Wire 3800 looks like a keyhole with wireless waves on it. 

Ours is a Guest Pass feature where you can allow visitors access to your WAP.   Does nothing as ATT has it disabled.

Re: I38HG INID wireless button?

2 of 8 (1,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 11:56:21 PM
(0)

I actually got the answer today when I called tech support for a different issue and was connected to a Tier 2 techician.  The button will be used to wirelessly "bind" devices (yet to be introduced) to the access point using a secure WTS encryption protocol.  This would be an automatic way to do what we now do manually when we enter the access point's encryption key into a laptop or other wireless device as part of setting up WiFi connectivity.

So - there's no use of the button with current wireless devices but presumably there will be a use in the future.

I actually got the answer today when I called tech support for a different issue and was connected to a Tier 2 techician.  The button will be used to wirelessly "bind" devices (yet to be introduced) to the access point using a secure WTS encryption protocol.  This would be an automatic way to do what we now do manually when we enter the access point's encryption key into a laptop or other wireless device as part of setting up WiFi connectivity.

So - there's no use of the button with current wireless devices but presumably there will be a use in the future.

3 of 8 (1,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 5:18:09 PM
(0)
Expert

That would be interesting, as Wireless setup is a headache for many!  Thanks for the report. 

That would be interesting, as Wireless setup is a headache for many!  Thanks for the report. 

4 of 8 (1,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 5:20:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Cool.  I hope we don't have to wait a long time for it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 8 (1,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 5:23:08 PM
(0)
Expert

iNID, not us...:smileysurprised:

RCSMG wrote:

iNID, not us...:smileysurprised:

RCSMG wrote:

6 of 8 (1,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2010 7:23:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

As I said in another thread the button does work.  I tried many times to set up my Panasonic Plasma and Panasonic Blue Ray to the 3800 so I finally selected the connect by push button, pushed the button as you say with the key hole and it started flashing and both my TV and Blue Ray then connected to the 3800 wirelessly, acted like setting up blue tooth devices.

As I said in another thread the button does work.  I tried many times to set up my Panasonic Plasma and Panasonic Blue Ray to the 3800 so I finally selected the connect by push button, pushed the button as you say with the key hole and it started flashing and both my TV and Blue Ray then connected to the 3800 wirelessly, acted like setting up blue tooth devices.

7 of 8 (1,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 13, 2010 4:37:55 AM
(0)
Expert

Just read your other post, and wasn't aware they enabled it.

Just read your other post, and wasn't aware they enabled it.

8 of 8 (1,807 Views)