Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Feb 6, 2009
11:40:03 AM
I need pros and cons
I am thinking about switching from Comcast to ATT Uverse.....Why should I and why shouldn't I???  I have read this forum and I am not concerned about switching....The Total Home DVR doesn't bother me as I have one DVR and it is only assesible from One TV.....but on that subject....If I am watching a DVR program on say Set 2 can I FF, RW while watching it?  Also if anone is familiar with Comcast and the Ondemand feature for Regular TV programing, does Uverse have this also?
I am thinking about switching from Comcast to ATT Uverse.....Why should I and why shouldn't I???  I have read this forum and I am not concerned about switching....The Total Home DVR doesn't bother me as I have one DVR and it is only assesible from One TV.....but on that subject....If I am watching a DVR program on say Set 2 can I FF, RW while watching it?  Also if anone is familiar with Comcast and the Ondemand feature for Regular TV programing, does Uverse have this also?

I need pros and cons

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2009 2:01:14 PM
(0)
Scholar

For us?  Plain and simply:

Lifteime, Animal Planet, Discovery, and SciFi HD.

We watch all 4 of those and they were not in HD with Comcast.

Turned out we really like the technology as well.

We have the lowest internet speed and web surfing and PS3 online work fine, and it's a LOT cheaper than Roadrunner.  We don't do large downloads, and when we back up our hard drives online, we do it over night.

For us?  Plain and simply:

Lifteime, Animal Planet, Discovery, and SciFi HD.

We watch all 4 of those and they were not in HD with Comcast.

Turned out we really like the technology as well.

We have the lowest internet speed and web surfing and PS3 online work fine, and it's a LOT cheaper than Roadrunner.  We don't do large downloads, and when we back up our hard drives online, we do it over night.

Re: I need pros and cons

2 of 11 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2009 2:28:24 PM
(0)
Scholar

I've subscribed to Uverse since October, coming from Comcast.  Why do it?  Well, for me the picture quality (*only had SD* TV's w/Comcast, so my comments are limited to comparing SD Comcast signals to SD Uverse) is better.  THDVR, even in its current form is an improvement because I don't need to subscribe to TiVo anymore for my TV's.  (& yes, you can pause, FF, REW the picture on another TV.  Actually, you can FF/REW, etc. from ALL your TV's at the same time a program that is being or has been recorded on the DVR).  

Price of the TV/DSL bundle is also better, though really not a HUGE factor.

Uverse does have FREE On Demand programming, but not currently as extensive as Comcast had when I left them in October.  But, like Comcast, if you get one of the movie packages, you can also access past movies from, say, HBO/Showtime.

One of the advantages Uverse had for me was I was going to have to rewire my home with R6 coax as it has the old style coax (R 59) instead of R6 since it was wired for cable in 1984.  And I was having trouble with some of the digital channels (BBC America, for ex.) and was told the old coax wasn't a big enough pipeline to push all the digital channels through.  Uverse works just fine with that same cable, however.  It only pushes one signal/TV at a time whereas Comcast is always broadcasting ALL the channels to the set top box on any given TV, so the old coax has no problem handling the signals to the 2 TV's I have hanging off the old coax.

You can also get a higher DSL download speed than Comcast along w/the TV service.

Right now the most discrete channels you can watch at one time is 4 (SD).  Depending on how far you are from the VRAD (unless you're lucky enough to have fiber to your house), you're profile will be either 3SD/1HD or 2SD/2HD signals at the same time.  There is mention elsewhere on this board of a higher speed that will enable 3 HD signals @ once, but it has yet to be announced.  You can, though, be recording 4 SD signals and watching a previously recorded program at the same time.  Whether this limitation is an issue for you, only you can know.

I've had VERY positive experiences with Uverse's customer service.  

From what I read, Uverse has some neat stuff you can do w/its IP telephone service.  It's not currently offered where I am (Atlanta), however. 

I hope this helps some.  Doubtless there are other points, or questions you will develop.  This is a VERY active board, so I'm sure others will drop by to offer up their thoughts as well. 

Message Edited by Shyster951 on 02-06-2009 02:30 PM

I've subscribed to Uverse since October, coming from Comcast.  Why do it?  Well, for me the picture quality (*only had SD* TV's w/Comcast, so my comments are limited to comparing SD Comcast signals to SD Uverse) is better.  THDVR, even in its current form is an improvement because I don't need to subscribe to TiVo anymore for my TV's.  (& yes, you can pause, FF, REW the picture on another TV.  Actually, you can FF/REW, etc. from ALL your TV's at the same time a program that is being or has been recorded on the DVR).  

Price of the TV/DSL bundle is also better, though really not a HUGE factor.

Uverse does have FREE On Demand programming, but not currently as extensive as Comcast had when I left them in October.  But, like Comcast, if you get one of the movie packages, you can also access past movies from, say, HBO/Showtime.

One of the advantages Uverse had for me was I was going to have to rewire my home with R6 coax as it has the old style coax (R 59) instead of R6 since it was wired for cable in 1984.  And I was having trouble with some of the digital channels (BBC America, for ex.) and was told the old coax wasn't a big enough pipeline to push all the digital channels through.  Uverse works just fine with that same cable, however.  It only pushes one signal/TV at a time whereas Comcast is always broadcasting ALL the channels to the set top box on any given TV, so the old coax has no problem handling the signals to the 2 TV's I have hanging off the old coax.

You can also get a higher DSL download speed than Comcast along w/the TV service.

Right now the most discrete channels you can watch at one time is 4 (SD).  Depending on how far you are from the VRAD (unless you're lucky enough to have fiber to your house), you're profile will be either 3SD/1HD or 2SD/2HD signals at the same time.  There is mention elsewhere on this board of a higher speed that will enable 3 HD signals @ once, but it has yet to be announced.  You can, though, be recording 4 SD signals and watching a previously recorded program at the same time.  Whether this limitation is an issue for you, only you can know.

I've had VERY positive experiences with Uverse's customer service.  

From what I read, Uverse has some neat stuff you can do w/its IP telephone service.  It's not currently offered where I am (Atlanta), however. 

I hope this helps some.  Doubtless there are other points, or questions you will develop.  This is a VERY active board, so I'm sure others will drop by to offer up their thoughts as well. 

Message Edited by Shyster951 on 02-06-2009 02:30 PM

3 of 11 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2009 6:47:43 PM
(0)
Master

There are more HD channels and I am not counting PPV or VOD and leaving out the premiums the channels change faster the picture looks better and the service is more reliable as for the internet its more

reliable but at times can have latency issues the upload speed can't match the competition but for most of us that does not seem to important and the best part its cheaper oh and you get to talk to a real person

in this country when you have a problem and within reason its usually taken care of. This has been my experience yours may vary. 

There are more HD channels and I am not counting PPV or VOD and leaving out the premiums the channels change faster the picture looks better and the service is more reliable as for the internet its more

reliable but at times can have latency issues the upload speed can't match the competition but for most of us that does not seem to important and the best part its cheaper oh and you get to talk to a real person

in this country when you have a problem and within reason its usually taken care of. This has been my experience yours may vary. 

4 of 11 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2009 7:15:02 PM
(0)
Scholar

rdsox0521 wrote:
.If I am watching a DVR program on say Set 2 can I FF, RW while watching it? 

Yes, if you are watching a program from the DVR you have FF, RW and Pause. You also have this from any STB on a channel you are recording to the DVR. I sometimes put a channel in record using the Internet just so that I can control it from a non-DVR stb. It's a bit of a kludge but it is a work around. Additional DVR control from any STB is supposed to be coming at some point.

rdsox0521 wrote:
.If I am watching a DVR program on say Set 2 can I FF, RW while watching it? 

Yes, if you are watching a program from the DVR you have FF, RW and Pause. You also have this from any STB on a channel you are recording to the DVR. I sometimes put a channel in record using the Internet just so that I can control it from a non-DVR stb. It's a bit of a kludge but it is a work around. Additional DVR control from any STB is supposed to be coming at some point.

5 of 11 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2009 7:23:37 PM
(0)
Tutor
Great post thank you very much....It is also helpful coming from a Comcast customer....I have had a couple of problems with them as my service has gone in and out and yes I am looking for something comparable and cheaper...I had DTV and loved it but my neighbors tree grew too much and there is no other place for the dish on my property to get a good signal...It is one thing to lose signal on a thunderstorm or Northeaster day it is another to lose it on a clear sunny day....As far as the VOD....do you know if it has Disney (no not for me)....This is a great function from Comcast and comes in handy when you have a 2 yr old that runs around the house asking for the Mouse every 10 minutes....Once again thank you for your help and i will be researching it a little more prior to the possible switch.....Also I thing the 4 programs won't be a problem...so far no HD in the house and 3 TV's and usually only 2 will be on at a time at most and the only problems we run into with the current DVR is usually we would have 2 shows tape at once one night a week which would force me to watch TV elsewhere as the wife is asleep and we watch the taped shows together.....Once again thanks for your help and if there is anything else you can think of that is a pro or con over comcast please let me know
Great post thank you very much....It is also helpful coming from a Comcast customer....I have had a couple of problems with them as my service has gone in and out and yes I am looking for something comparable and cheaper...I had DTV and loved it but my neighbors tree grew too much and there is no other place for the dish on my property to get a good signal...It is one thing to lose signal on a thunderstorm or Northeaster day it is another to lose it on a clear sunny day....As far as the VOD....do you know if it has Disney (no not for me)....This is a great function from Comcast and comes in handy when you have a 2 yr old that runs around the house asking for the Mouse every 10 minutes....Once again thank you for your help and i will be researching it a little more prior to the possible switch.....Also I thing the 4 programs won't be a problem...so far no HD in the house and 3 TV's and usually only 2 will be on at a time at most and the only problems we run into with the current DVR is usually we would have 2 shows tape at once one night a week which would force me to watch TV elsewhere as the wife is asleep and we watch the taped shows together.....Once again thanks for your help and if there is anything else you can think of that is a pro or con over comcast please let me know

6 of 11 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2009 7:28:51 PM
(0)
Scholar
Disney Channel does not have its own VOD. The only things that have their own particular VOD are the Movie Packages.. I.E. HBO Cinemax ETC.... there are lots of kids specific vod movies and what not under the free on demand and the Movie VOD categories... I have 3 children and have nho problem finding them plenty to watch..
Disney Channel does not have its own VOD. The only things that have their own particular VOD are the Movie Packages.. I.E. HBO Cinemax ETC.... there are lots of kids specific vod movies and what not under the free on demand and the Movie VOD categories... I have 3 children and have nho problem finding them plenty to watch..

7 of 11 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2009 9:43:08 PM
(0)
Guru

rdsox0521 wrote:

What they only have is Disney Family Movies under VOD subscription for $7 a month. And also Disney Channel - channel 303 and Toon Disney - channel 305 (available to all packages).

More information available on these links:

Product Information:

- http://uverse.att.com

- http://uverse.att.com/uconnect

Troubleshooting Information:

- http://helpme.att.net

- http://helpme.att.net/uknow

- http://support.2wire.com

Peer-to-Peer Forum:

- http://utalk.att.com/utalk

- http://www.uverseusers.com

- http://www.dslreports.com

:smileyhappy: Hope this helps.

Message Edited by FuzioN on 02-06-2009 09:52 PM

rdsox0521 wrote:

What they only have is Disney Family Movies under VOD subscription for $7 a month. And also Disney Channel - channel 303 and Toon Disney - channel 305 (available to all packages).

More information available on these links:

Product Information:

- http://uverse.att.com

- http://uverse.att.com/uconnect

Troubleshooting Information:

- http://helpme.att.net

- http://helpme.att.net/uknow

- http://support.2wire.com

Peer-to-Peer Forum:

- http://utalk.att.com/utalk

- http://www.uverseusers.com

- http://www.dslreports.com

:smileyhappy: Hope this helps.

Message Edited by FuzioN on 02-06-2009 09:52 PM

8 of 11 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2009 11:53:09 AM
(0)
Scholar
I too am a former comcast user.We had alot of problems with them in the end. We like uverse so much more.Not paying extra for the dvr is nice.Being able to view your dvr recordings from any tv is wonderful.And I think right now they are having a receiver promo. Dvr + 2 standard receivers included.  Comcast has more free on demand movies but no biggie.
I too am a former comcast user.We had alot of problems with them in the end. We like uverse so much more.Not paying extra for the dvr is nice.Being able to view your dvr recordings from any tv is wonderful.And I think right now they are having a receiver promo. Dvr + 2 standard receivers included.  Comcast has more free on demand movies but no biggie.

9 of 11 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2009 8:42:09 AM
(0)
Scholar
Comcast has nothing on Uverse except the VOD. I live in the Illinois market and have had Comcast with okay channel selection, okay HD selection, but has a great VOD. I also had WOW which is comparable to comcast in channel selection had less HD than comcast and VOD sucks. With Uverse you get a great selection ( way more than comcast), a lot more HD content, but their VOD is lacking a little. But with the huge channel selection who needs VOD with Uverse. The only thing missing is their is no clock on the box, so you either have to hit info to show the time on TV or get a clock to mount in living room area. No big deal. I love Uverse and it may have some bugs or issues now and in the future, it is far greater than cable it is iptv. cable can only support so much bandwith that Comacst has trouble adding new channels and new HD content due to their equipment can not handle the amount that Uverse has to offer. With Uverse you have Fiber which can handle a lot more bandwith than cable. You may also hear poeple talk about coax Vs. cat5 installs. The tech who did my install tapped into my phone line and connected the DVR and modem with cat5 and connected the STB in the bedroom via coax. The office computer is wireless and works better than it did with comcast. With this setup both TV's have the best picture i have ever seen. I have an HD in the frontroom and a standard set in bedroom. It does not matter if you have the STB's connected with coax, it does matter if the main line and the lines coming into the house are in good condition. If evrything is in good condition and the tech puts new ends on your coax you will have the best ride of your life with Uverse. Dump Comcast.
Comcast has nothing on Uverse except the VOD. I live in the Illinois market and have had Comcast with okay channel selection, okay HD selection, but has a great VOD. I also had WOW which is comparable to comcast in channel selection had less HD than comcast and VOD sucks. With Uverse you get a great selection ( way more than comcast), a lot more HD content, but their VOD is lacking a little. But with the huge channel selection who needs VOD with Uverse. The only thing missing is their is no clock on the box, so you either have to hit info to show the time on TV or get a clock to mount in living room area. No big deal. I love Uverse and it may have some bugs or issues now and in the future, it is far greater than cable it is iptv. cable can only support so much bandwith that Comacst has trouble adding new channels and new HD content due to their equipment can not handle the amount that Uverse has to offer. With Uverse you have Fiber which can handle a lot more bandwith than cable. You may also hear poeple talk about coax Vs. cat5 installs. The tech who did my install tapped into my phone line and connected the DVR and modem with cat5 and connected the STB in the bedroom via coax. The office computer is wireless and works better than it did with comcast. With this setup both TV's have the best picture i have ever seen. I have an HD in the frontroom and a standard set in bedroom. It does not matter if you have the STB's connected with coax, it does matter if the main line and the lines coming into the house are in good condition. If evrything is in good condition and the tech puts new ends on your coax you will have the best ride of your life with Uverse. Dump Comcast.

10 of 11 (1,467 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2009 10:43:09 AM
(0)
Guru

Comcast has a "huge" extensive library of Free VOD. Uverse's "free" VOD is so poor as to be non-existant.

Aside from that, everything about Uverse is much better as long as the 2 stream HD limit is ok with you.

Comcast has a "huge" extensive library of Free VOD. Uverse's "free" VOD is so poor as to be non-existant.

Aside from that, everything about Uverse is much better as long as the 2 stream HD limit is ok with you.

11 of 11 (931 Views)