I can share printers but not files??????

Teacher

I can share printers but not files??????

I had uverse installed at my home, I had a network with file & printer sharing set up before uverse. After uverse I still have the network, I can still print from all pc's but my laptop cannot find my  2 other pc's..

Heres my setup:

Computer 1 - desktop with printer hardwired to pc & uverse router hardwired/ windows vista operating system/ trend micro virus protection

Computer 2 - desktop / windows xp home operating system/ wireless connection to router & network through linksys usb adapter. Norton 360

Computer 3 - Laptop / windows XP pro operating system/ connects to router via wifi network card/  nortons360

All computers can print & connect to internet.with excellect signal.  computer 1 & 2 communicate & share files with no problem.

Computer 3 (laptop) can print, but cannot see any other PC's on network. Computers 1 & 2 can see computer 3 (laptop) in the network but cannot access it..

How do I enable PC 3 to access other PC's & vise versa??

I tried turning off the firewalls on both the nortons & the windows & that did not work either.  when going to my network on PC 3 (laptop) the only thing showing is its own shared files, no other pc's even show in the network. I checked & file sharing is enabled. We are all listed to be on the same workgroup. Nortons is also checked to accept file sharing.

I think I have narrowed it down to the fact that i think it may have something to do with a network setting in PC 3 or a setting in windows xp pro. That is the only differences I can see, being that pc 2 & 3 both use the same version of nortons I don't think the problem is with nortons..

I went into the router settings & the uverse router even shows the network & shows all 3 pc's on the network, but cannot access pc3 (laptops) files from there either.

i really don't understand how I can print but not share files with the laptop????????????

Message Edited by jmjked on 09-15-2009 10:26 AM
Message 1 of 20 (1,112 Views)
Scholar

Re: I can share printers but not files??????

My question would be if you are behind a hardware firewall aka RG; why are you running 2 software firewalls?

I can understand if on the lappy and your away from your local network but for home ues on your own network you should not need 2 software firewalls.

Message 16 of 20 (963 Views)
Guru

bsm2003 wrote:

My question would be if you are behind a hardware firewall aka RG; why are you running 2 software firewalls?

I can understand if on the lappy and your away from your local network but for home ues on your own network you should not need 2 software firewalls.

She's not "running 2 software firewalls" (at least not any longer). She wants to be able to file share on her network without having to disable her Norton firewall. Looks like Randy may have found a way to configure her Norton firewall to do that.
Message Edited by erazoner on 09-17-2009 10:10 AM
Message 17 of 20 (963 Views)
Teacher

I will check into the link that randy posted tonight when I get home.

I'll try to post back tommorrow to let everyone know how it went, i am not too worried about the nortons firewall even if I do have to leave it off, seeing as I still have the windows firewall on & the network & the laptop rarely leaves my house anyway.

The only reason I was running both the firewalls even with the network firewall is b/cause my husband & I own a biz, & most of our business files are on the laptop, he is just a VERY cautious person & I guess his theory is the more protection the better, he want it to be like trying to get into fort knoxs I guess LOL!!! 

I am not so woorried about it b/cause I the other firewalls they would have to get through anyway, But I will look into the link randy posted anyway....

Message 18 of 20 (963 Views)
Teacher

as promised I am posting my results:

I did find a setting in nortons360 under advanced settings/firewall where you would turn off the firewall, there are also a few other tabs at the top, I believe one of them said "connections" there was a list below to click for "your pc to communicate and share access/files with others on the network & another that was for other pc's to communicate with yours. After turning nortons firewall back on & checking both those boxes I was still able to share & communicate with all pc's on network. Thanks randy for pointing me in the right direction & everyone else for their help.

Message 19 of 20 (963 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

This has been a frustrating problem for me too, but the solution was simple.   After 1.5 hours on the phone with level 1 and level 2 technicians, the problem remained unresolved as their response was that ATT tech support only ensures internet connectivity.  They recommended that I subscribe to AT&T Connect Support for $15.00/month.  When I finally called, there is a $199.00 sign up fee then $15/month.  CAN YOU SAY LIVID at this point! 

Anyway, the solution was found accidentally and I now have three computers that share my media files on the main desktop.

So... Here's how I got it to work.  Your AT&T internet services comes with one year of McAfee protection.  Part of the MCAfee software that you download from AT&T Internet Support website has a Network Share Application.  As long as all the computers have the same workgroup id, they can be shared easily. 

I hope this helps you.  Here is the link to download: http://att.mcafee.com 

Message 20 of 20 (963 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.