Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 15, 2010
5:27:15 PM
View profile
I am thinking of getting U-Verse. Is U-Verse Compatible with Apple products?

I currently have AT&T DSL and have no problems.  I have seen a few negaitve posts concerning iPad conncection.   I use my iPad daily and I am currently saving for a MacBook.  Is AT&T U-Verse compatible with Apple products?

I currently have AT&T DSL and have no problems.  I have seen a few negaitve posts concerning iPad conncection.   I use my iPad daily and I am currently saving for a MacBook.  Is AT&T U-Verse compatible with Apple products?

I am thinking of getting U-Verse. Is U-Verse Compatible with Apple products?

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2010 7:21:58 PM
(0)
Expert

Yes, except for Media Share; it uses Microsoft Media Player to allow sharing of photos and music on TVs.

Yes, except for Media Share; it uses Microsoft Media Player to allow sharing of photos and music on TVs.

Re: I am thinking of getting U-Verse. Is U-Verse Compatible with Apple products?

2 of 8 (1,134 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2010 7:26:44 PM
(0)
Master

I have had my iPad for months and have not experienced any problems with Uverse and works quite well. But I do use an Airport Extreme for wireless and not the RG. I have great results with my iPhone 4 ,MacBook Pro and the old Apple TV besides sending Air Tunes to the HI-Fi via Airport Express so yeah I think it all works pretty well.

I have had my iPad for months and have not experienced any problems with Uverse and works quite well. But I do use an Airport Extreme for wireless and not the RG. I have great results with my iPhone 4 ,MacBook Pro and the old Apple TV besides sending Air Tunes to the HI-Fi via Airport Express so yeah I think it all works pretty well.

Re: I am thinking of getting U-Verse. Is U-Verse Compatible with Apple products?

3 of 8 (1,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 5:48:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you very much.  I was ready to order and read the disclaimer about certain devices not working and read some negative posts and stopped.  I will probably go ahead and order now.

Thank you very much.  I was ready to order and read the disclaimer about certain devices not working and read some negative posts and stopped.  I will probably go ahead and order now.

4 of 8 (1,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 5:58:56 AM
(0)
Expert

Good luck with the order/install. 

If you have any more Apple questions, there are knowledgeable Apple/Mac users here (like oz) who can help. :smileywink:

Good luck with the order/install. 

If you have any more Apple questions, there are knowledgeable Apple/Mac users here (like oz) who can help. :smileywink:

5 of 8 (1,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 9:17:28 PM
(0)
Scholar

Piling on just a bit more on this thread - Uverse is very compatible with Apple products - it's standard TCP/IP internet access.  Interestinly both Apple products and the 2wire RG have Berkely Systems Unix (BSD) as their core OS.  So in theory, they are both using the same TCP/IP stack.

Where the issues usually come in is whether the Apple Airport client cards play nice with the 2wire wifi radio that is built into the Uverse RG modem/router/gateway.  Once upon a time, there was a DNS issue, too, but I think that was fixed a couple of years ago.

A great solution that will provide years of happy results is to merely put all your Apple / computer devices behind an Apple Airport Extreme wireless base station, and plug that Apple Airport Extreme into the AT&T provided modem/router/gateway - commonly referred to as the "RG" on this board.

Allowing Apple to talk to Apple will provide you bullet proof results.  In general, Apple products will work with the 2wire equipment provided by AT&T, but as is the case when you mix any two vendors products, there are the occasional hiccups. Apple always tests and assures (I assume) that their own products work together.  So putting your Apple wireless devices behind an Apple wireless router should provide years of trouble free and happy Apple bliss existance.

Piling on just a bit more on this thread - Uverse is very compatible with Apple products - it's standard TCP/IP internet access.  Interestinly both Apple products and the 2wire RG have Berkely Systems Unix (BSD) as their core OS.  So in theory, they are both using the same TCP/IP stack.

Where the issues usually come in is whether the Apple Airport client cards play nice with the 2wire wifi radio that is built into the Uverse RG modem/router/gateway.  Once upon a time, there was a DNS issue, too, but I think that was fixed a couple of years ago.

A great solution that will provide years of happy results is to merely put all your Apple / computer devices behind an Apple Airport Extreme wireless base station, and plug that Apple Airport Extreme into the AT&T provided modem/router/gateway - commonly referred to as the "RG" on this board.

Allowing Apple to talk to Apple will provide you bullet proof results.  In general, Apple products will work with the 2wire equipment provided by AT&T, but as is the case when you mix any two vendors products, there are the occasional hiccups. Apple always tests and assures (I assume) that their own products work together.  So putting your Apple wireless devices behind an Apple wireless router should provide years of trouble free and happy Apple bliss existance.

6 of 8 (1,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 6:26:08 AM
(0)
Master

bsdsmb wrote:

What is this, another one of those Steve Jobs Love-ins?   :smileysurprised::smileywink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

bsdsmb wrote:

What is this, another one of those Steve Jobs Love-ins?   :smileysurprised::smileywink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

neon_sign.jpg

7 of 8 (1,134 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 9:58:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Computer-Joe wrote:

bsdsmb wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:

Computer-Joe wrote:

bsdsmb wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

8 of 8 (1,134 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments