How to reboot DVR without erasing all recordings?

Contributor

How to reboot DVR without erasing all recordings?

It's been months since our DVR has been rebooted and we have a lot recorded shows.  A while ago we had trouble and whenever the system rebooted (soft or hard) everything was erased.  Is there any way to save our recorded shows?  We're getting a lot of freezing, stuttering and out of sync audio recently and from what I've read, we need to reset everything.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 4

Re: How to reboot DVR without erasing all recordings?

It sounds like there is a deeper problem going on, your DVR may need to be replaced

The only thing that should delete your recordings is a Disaster Recovery (a form of a soft reboot and self repair, that deletes recordings in the process), a simple hard reboot (disconnection from power) shouldn't be deleting recordings

Are you sure it is deleting your recordings?  After a hard reboot, it takes a while for the DVR list to repopulate (it's not instant), give it about 5 minutes for it to repopulate, if it doesn't repopulate, then there may be a problem with the DVR and it may need to be replaced

Message 2 of 4
Expert

Could be your harddrive is failing.

Message 3 of 4
ACE - Master

A simple reboot of the DVR (or RG) should not erase your recordings.

I will say that if you reboot and live TV comes back up, your list of recorded programs will be empty, while it repopulates.  After 2-5 minutes, all should be good.  

I will say that some friends of ours who "early adopted" in the Spring of 2008, did lose all of their shows every time the power went out, which could be like a reboot if the DVR was on.  They do not have that happen, any longer.  I'm not sure what was replaced (DVR, RG, something outside or ???).

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support