Helpful Links

How to pause live TV from the STB

Scholar

How to pause live TV from the STB

So if you have a programmable remote that allows you to put delays between commands, you can do the following to pause live TV. This is not perfect or foolproof, but if you can live with the limitations (below) this is 90% of what AT&T should have done for us.

Limitations:

1) It will not pause immediately... it will take a few seconds to pause

2) If multiple people do this at the same time, it may not work for all

3) If a recording (scheduled or manually started) begins at about the same time as you pause, it may not work.

Method:

Program the following (or do it manually):

1) Press record on your STB remote

2) Press Recorded TV (or whatever you use to access it... 9999 would work, too) to get to the recorded shows menu

3) Press OK  to select the first item (which is the show you just started to record)

4) Press OK to start playback

5) Press Pause to pause playback.

If you can automate this, within about five seconds, the image should pause... setting your delays longer between steps 1 & 2 will guarantee 100% success at the expense of a longer delay.

So now the limitations are obvious... As a bonus, since you are recording the show, you can fast forward and rewind through it as well. The downside is you are recording it so don't forget to delete it (if you care about managing disk space) when done. This could be somewhat automated, too but only with a lot of smarts (you don't want to always delete the first recording when turning off your TV for example). 

Message 1 of 19
Expert

Re: How to pause live TV from the STB

My workaround for the lack of the ability to pause, rewind and fast forward live TV when watching from a set connected to an STB has always been:

1) Start recording the show

2) Wait a few minutes, and then select the show from the list of recorded shows while it is still recording

3) Delete the show once I have completed watching

This gives me the ability to pause, rewind and forward the show. Also,depending on how long the show has been recording before I start watching it, I can skip through most of the commercials.  In addition to allowing for pause, rewind and fast forward, it has the added advantage of requiring less time to watch the show since I can skip the commercials.

I do look forward to Phase 3, whenever, that will be, but I find this to be a good workaround until that time.

Message 2 of 19
Scholar

Right... that's what I'm trying to automate. Now that one can press "record" on a STB and start recording the current show, this is getting closer (and why I've not seen AT&T tout that feature, I'll never know... I don't care so much about recording some show in anhour from my STB, but I often want to record what I'm watching to show someone later, or because I need to leave before it's over).
Message 3 of 19
ACE - Master

Here's what I do:

1. Turn on program

2. Hit "record" button

I then do one or more of the following:

3. Go pee

4. Get snack/drink/food

5. Feed dog

6. Check email

7. Make phone call

Return to TV...go to recorded programs...choose program and hit 'play'. 

Depending on how long it took me to accomplish the selected tasks, sometimes I FF and never watch a commercial.  :rolleyes:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 19
Highlighted
Mentor

For god sakes man, change #4 to  Wash Hands! lol
Message 5 of 19
Expert

jkramer5 wrote:

Isn't that a given?  :smileywink:

Message 6 of 19
ACE - Master

texasguy37 wrote:

jkramer5 wrote:

thanks texasguy!

I just thought it was hilarious that the OP went into such detail when essentially you're watching recorded TV.  

It ain't rocket science.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 19
Scholar

skeeterintexas wrote:

texasguy37 wrote:

jkramer5 wrote:

thanks texasguy!

I just thought it was hilarious that the OP went into such detail when essentially you're watching recorded TV.  

It ain't rocket science.

Man, one even gets flamed on this board when providing information (and I thougt it was only when one said anyting not 100% supportive of AT&T).

No, it ain't rocket science but have you noticed how so many people have been wanting to pause from a STB? I automated it so when I press "pause" on my remote, it works. If I gave my wife the list of steps, she'd never do it and question why she can't just press "pause" on the remote. Well now she can.

If you don't like it, fine, by why do people have to be so nasty?  Enjoy the hilarity and go to the next thread.

Message 8 of 19
Expert

You all have got to be kidding going OT over someone obviously in all good intentions picking on a post.
Message 9 of 19
ACE - Master

Sorry if anyone thought my post was 'nasty'.  I personally thought that saying your wife wouldn't know how to follow your directions 'sexist' but that's just me.

And here's an FYI:  Here in Texas, we use the phrase 'It ain't rocket science' all the time.  There's nothing demeaning or nasty about it. 

I suppose it's a bit complicated for some people to understand.

ETA: But this thread was not all for naught (another Texas phrase).  I found me a new signature line!

Message Edited by skeeterintexas on 07-05-2009 10:28 AM
Message 10 of 19
Guru

I always considered "flaming" to be harsh, abusive, or personal attacks, usually warranting removal by a moderator. Someone who considers a good-natured, biting, and on-point responses like skeeter's to be a "flame" is being just a tad hypersensitive.

Message 11 of 19
ACE - Master

Thanks erazoner.  Don't know you but I think I like you.   :smileywink:
Message 12 of 19
Mentor

dzar:  How did you automate it?   I am interested....
Message 13 of 19
Teacher

pausing live tv from any room would be great. But in the mean time, we record almost every show we watch. We'll start watching it about 1/2 way through th e show, that way we can pause when ever we want and can fast forword through the commercials!

Message 14 of 19
Employee

uvuser wrote:
dzar:  How did you automate it?   I am interested....

Read the first post in the thread and follow the directions.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 15 of 19
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support