Helpful Links

How to make my desktop computer wireless?

Contributor

I have U-Verse internet.  My wireless laptops all connect to it. 

Sadly, however, my desktop is too far away from the U-Verse router and, therefore, can't be hardwired in for an internet connection.

I was told to buy a wireless router for my desktop.  Will this work?  I bought a D-Link wireless router but can't seem to figure out how to get this D-Link wireless router to talk to the U-Verse router.

Please help!!

Thanks in advance

Message 1 of 13
Teacher

Re: How to make my desktop computer wireless?

Not sure on how you are trying to link and I have limited experience with routers but I always thought you linked (hard wired) routers to your network and then connected to your router wirelessly.  Never heard of linking router to router wirelessly.  In otherwords I have not heard of it being done I have not experience in knowing if it is possible.  Quickest connection I know of would be to get a wireless card/adapter and connect using the same  configuration set-up as your wireless laptops.  Depending on your desktop age you should be able to purchase a USB adapter and connect that way.
Message 2 of 13
Scholar

To make your Desktop wireless you need one of these.

http://www.frys.com/category/Outpost/Networkingtab/Wireless+Networking/Wireless+Adapters?accipterAre...

Then run the connection wizzard just like for the laptops.

Message 3 of 13
Contributor

@bsm - so, I dont need the D-Link wireless router at all?  If so, that would save me some $$.  Thanks
Message 4 of 13
Guru

Didn't you say your laptops are already connected in wireless mode? Providing your desktop has a wireless adapter (you can get a free USB adapter from AT&T), you should be able to connect it as well.

The only folks who use their own wireless routers are (a) those who already have one and want to preserve their exixting LAN configuration; or (b) those who insist on 802.11n (the 2Wire is b/g only).

Edit: I re-read your original post, and decided to ask: when you say "router" do you mean "adapter"?

Message Edited by erazoner on 09-04-2009 10:22 AM
Message 5 of 13

Message 6 of 13
Contributor

How to make my desktop computer wireless.

Message 7 of 13
Expert

Stated in earlier posts, your desktop must have a wireless card or you need a USB wireless adapter (plug-in device).

If you're not sure your machine has a wireless card (most desktops don't, unless specifically ordered), go to Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters.

There should be a device listed there that denotes Wireless, if not, you'll need to get a USB wireless adapter (or install an internal wireless card).

Other poster here mentioned ATT will give you a free USB adapter (call them and request).

If you need help with setting up the wireless, please post back.

Message 8 of 13
Expert

I guess I haven't been paying much attention.  I didn't know that you get wireless connections using something as small as a flash drive.  it isn't surprising but wow.  I bought a Verbatim flash 2 gig flash drive that is as small as my thumbnail.  It looked like it is too small to work.  My first 1 gig harddrive weighed about 8 pounds and cost over one thousand dollars.

It makes you wonder though, if technology is getting smaller and less expensive why do cost of living prices keep going up?

Message 9 of 13

220px-Side_cutters.jpg

:smileytongue::smileywink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

neon_sign.jpg

Message 10 of 13
Expert

Computer-Joe wrote:
How to make my desktop computer wireless? 220px-Side_cutters.jpg

:smileytongue::smileywink:

This is probably going to be an interesting picture.

Message 11 of 13

Of course, you should expect reduced performance.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

neon_sign.jpg

Message 12 of 13
Expert

You are a nut! :smileyvery-happy:

Wireless, cordless, powerless.

Message 13 of 13
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support