Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 15, 2009
9:17:39 AM
View profile
How to hook up a HP printer to a network

Hi,  New guy here.

I have the 2wire Gateway and the smaller ev box on my main system.  Then I have the smaller tv boxes on the other tvs.  I was told I could take an HP printer with Eithernet capibilities and plue it into the small tv box so that it is available to the other computers on the network.

I plugged the hp eithernet cable into the small tv box but I still can not see it on the network.

I am sure this is a common problem and somewhat easy to resolve so I appreciate any help.

Bob

Hi,  New guy here.

I have the 2wire Gateway and the smaller ev box on my main system.  Then I have the smaller tv boxes on the other tvs.  I was told I could take an HP printer with Eithernet capibilities and plue it into the small tv box so that it is available to the other computers on the network.

I plugged the hp eithernet cable into the small tv box but I still can not see it on the network.

I am sure this is a common problem and somewhat easy to resolve so I appreciate any help.

Bob

How to hook up a HP printer to a network

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 9:37:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

What is the "smaller EV box"?

In general, if you plug the printer's ethernet cable into the 2wire, it should become part of the network.

What is the "smaller EV box"?

In general, if you plug the printer's ethernet cable into the 2wire, it should become part of the network.

Re: How to hook up a HP printer to a network

2 of 16 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 10:02:26 AM
(0)
Scholar
You may also be able to get this to work if you plug it into the ethernet port on the set top box (STB) but I am not positive. That would require that your STB is connected to the network via coax.. If you are plugging it into the USB port I am positive that it will not work.
You may also be able to get this to work if you plug it into the ethernet port on the set top box (STB) but I am not positive. That would require that your STB is connected to the network via coax.. If you are plugging it into the USB port I am positive that it will not work.

3 of 16 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 10:11:42 AM
(0)
Teacher

I have the printer connected to the STB via a ethernet cable.  I cannot connect it to the Gateway as the printer is in another room.  I was told it would be on the network if I plugged the printer into the STB ethernet port.

I have the printer connected to the STB via a ethernet cable.  I cannot connect it to the Gateway as the printer is in another room.  I was told it would be on the network if I plugged the printer into the STB ethernet port.

4 of 16 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 10:54:01 AM
(0)
Scholar

Did you verify that the Ethernet connection between the STB and the printer linked?  Is the cable a known good cable?

If both the STB and printer don't support auto MDI-X you might try a different Ethernet cable (straight or cross-over depending on what you currently have).

Straight Pins:

1 -> 1

2 -> 2

3 -> 3

6 -> 6

Cross Pins:

1 -> 3

2 -> 6

3 -> 1

6 -> 2

Just look at the wire colors on both ends of the cable to determine what you have.  Pin 1 is on the left if you look at the connector with the latching tab facing down and the connectors pointed away from you.  Don't worry about pins 4, 5, 7, and 8.  They are only required for Gig-Ethernet since the STB only supports 10/100.

- Steve

Message Edited by stevec on 05-15-2009 10:56 AM

Did you verify that the Ethernet connection between the STB and the printer linked?  Is the cable a known good cable?

If both the STB and printer don't support auto MDI-X you might try a different Ethernet cable (straight or cross-over depending on what you currently have).

Straight Pins:

1 -> 1

2 -> 2

3 -> 3

6 -> 6

Cross Pins:

1 -> 3

2 -> 6

3 -> 1

6 -> 2

Just look at the wire colors on both ends of the cable to determine what you have.  Pin 1 is on the left if you look at the connector with the latching tab facing down and the connectors pointed away from you.  Don't worry about pins 4, 5, 7, and 8.  They are only required for Gig-Ethernet since the STB only supports 10/100.

- Steve

Message Edited by stevec on 05-15-2009 10:56 AM

5 of 16 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 11:18:23 AM
(0)
Teacher

Your comment/question: 

How can I tell if it linked?  Also, I know the cable is good

Bob

Your comment/question: 

Bob

6 of 16 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 11:22:28 AM
(0)
Master

bob733 wrote:

Your comment/question: 

Bob

what have u done since the printer was new ??

did it work before or new  just out of the box ??

u may want to get it running off the rg3800  first then try the stb....

randy

Message Edited by randyl on 05-15-2009 01:22 PM

bob733 wrote:

Your comment/question: 

Bob

what have u done since the printer was new ??

did it work before or new  just out of the box ??

u may want to get it running off the rg3800  first then try the stb....

randy

Message Edited by randyl on 05-15-2009 01:22 PM

7 of 16 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 11:48:50 AM
(0)
Scholar

bob733 wrote:

Your comment/question: 

Bob

The printer or STB may have an LED indicating the link is good.

- Steve

bob733 wrote:

Your comment/question: 

Bob

The printer or STB may have an LED indicating the link is good.

- Steve

8 of 16 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 12:08:41 PM
(0)
Teacher

The printer was originally hooked up directly to another computer via usb.  And it was working ok.  However, as I wanted all computers to see it (on the network) and be able to print via the network to it, I was told to ethernet hookup the printer to a STB.

There is a Link light on the STB, but it is not for the link of the printer.... rather, the link light is present on all STBs in the house regardless of having a printer attached (via ethernet) or not.

If I go to http//home (the RG), I can see all the STBs and the network computers on the network..... but not sure how to look for a printer.

Bob

The printer was originally hooked up directly to another computer via usb.  And it was working ok.  However, as I wanted all computers to see it (on the network) and be able to print via the network to it, I was told to ethernet hookup the printer to a STB.

There is a Link light on the STB, but it is not for the link of the printer.... rather, the link light is present on all STBs in the house regardless of having a printer attached (via ethernet) or not.

If I go to http//home (the RG), I can see all the STBs and the network computers on the network..... but not sure how to look for a printer.

Bob

9 of 16 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 12:12:12 PM
(0)
Teacher
Update... there is a ethernet status light (I assume) on the printer (a HP 7260) and that is not lit.  I am looking for the manual to see how to get that working.
Update... there is a ethernet status light (I assume) on the printer (a HP 7260) and that is not lit.  I am looking for the manual to see how to get that working.

10 of 16 (466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 12:19:40 PM
(0)
Master

bob733 wrote:

fwiw      >>>>>>..              http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=305337&

bob733 wrote:

fwiw      >>>>>>..              http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=305337&

11 of 16 (386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 12:39:12 PM
(0)
Teacher
Randy,,, yeah.... I was actually there and reading it... thanks!
Randy,,, yeah.... I was actually there and reading it... thanks!

12 of 16 (386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 12:52:07 PM
(0)
Master

Does the printer show up on your home network  in the system summary of your RG and did you do a factory default ( printer) so new settings would take

hold since you are going from usb to ethernet since both cannot be run at the same time. Last but not least do you have the latest drivers for this

printer on all the computers that will share it. 

Message Edited by oz on 05-15-2009 02:52 PM

Does the printer show up on your home network  in the system summary of your RG and did you do a factory default ( printer) so new settings would take

hold since you are going from usb to ethernet since both cannot be run at the same time. Last but not least do you have the latest drivers for this

printer on all the computers that will share it. 

Message Edited by oz on 05-15-2009 02:52 PM

13 of 16 (386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 2:17:22 PM
(0)
Scholar

I took a quick look at the manual for the printer, and I don't believe it supports 10/100 Ethernet.

Connectivity,

maximum

HP JetDirect External Print Servers: 175x, 310x,

380x

Connectivity,

standard

USB: Front and back ports

Windows 98, 2000 Professional, ME, XP Home,

and XP Professional

Mac
® OS 9 v9.1 or later, OS X v10.1 through

v10.2

What port on the STB are you plugging the printer's cable into?

- Steve

I took a quick look at the manual for the printer, and I don't believe it supports 10/100 Ethernet.

Connectivity,

maximum

HP JetDirect External Print Servers: 175x, 310x,

380x

Connectivity,

standard

USB: Front and back ports

Windows 98, 2000 Professional, ME, XP Home,

and XP Professional

Mac
® OS 9 v9.1 or later, OS X v10.1 through

v10.2

What port on the STB are you plugging the printer's cable into?

- Steve

14 of 16 (386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 3:06:49 PM
(0)
Teacher

Got it!  Problem fixed and HP now a newwork printer via plugging the Ethernet cable from the printer to the STB Ethernet port.

The rg showed on on the system overview.

I had to go to each system and Add Printer but because the systems were all in the same workgroup (aks Funhouse), I was able to detect and load the drivers.

Works like a charm and thanks everyone for the excellent help.  Wait a couple of minutes before you see my next chalange!

Bob

Got it!  Problem fixed and HP now a newwork printer via plugging the Ethernet cable from the printer to the STB Ethernet port.

The rg showed on on the system overview.

I had to go to each system and Add Printer but because the systems were all in the same workgroup (aks Funhouse), I was able to detect and load the drivers.

Works like a charm and thanks everyone for the excellent help.  Wait a couple of minutes before you see my next chalange!

Bob

15 of 16 (386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2009 3:07:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Good job.
Good job.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 16 (386 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments