Helpful Links

How extend 2wire signal without buying another router extender?

Contributor

How extend 2wire signal without buying another router extender?

Hi - My 2Wire router has a very small range within my house. I had to install another extender router so I could get the signal upstairs. Please help - the router was installed by tech in the only place he said would work, but I have a horrible connection on the other side of the house (50 feet away). The cheap extender one floor up gives better reception!! please help. 

Message 1 of 4
Employee

Re: How extend 2wire signal without buying another router extender?

Depending on what internet speed you need NetGear has a Powerline adapter that is rated a 500 Mbps which will allow streaming.  The cost is around $150. The older cheaper models will work if you are not trying to stream content. The transfer may say 500 Mbps but he real world speeds of 100 Mbps in both directions will be your top speed.

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/powerline-and-coax/high-performance/XAVB5001.aspx

Here is a review of the Netgear and at the bottom is a link to TRENDnet another option. An article said Cisco Linksys  and D-Link may have units out soon. It suggested buy from a store that allows you to return the unit if it does not work for the speeds you need at your home. The way a house is wired will cause some connections to fail to work or be very slow.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/31420-netgear-xavb5001-powerline-av-500-adapter... 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4
Scholar

stephatlanta wrote:

Hi - My 2Wire router has a very small range within my house. I had to install another extender router so I could get the signal upstairs. Please help - the router was installed by tech in the only place he said would work, but I have a horrible connection on the other side of the house (50 feet away). The cheap extender one floor up gives better reception!! please help. 

Just to make sure go to this page in your router (http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1), scroll to the bottom "Advanced Settings" and make sure the POWER SETTING is set to 10. I'm sure 10 is default but it could have been changed. My 2wire reaches out to a metal garage behind my house with no problems. Mine is a 3800HGV-B.

Message 3 of 4
Master

You could try moving it around in the room higher or lower besides trying it horizontal and vertical.

Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support