Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted May 2, 2008
6:10:52 PM
How do I hook up a labtop to the 2 Wire?

Just got Uverse today. I have a regular Dell tower computer and a laptob Dell computer. My 2 Wire modem is in my bedroom because the installer said it was closet to the telephone connector deal outside. Then hooked up this little route thing to my Dell tower computer that is this tiny little thing with an antenna. I still don't get how it powers itself on without plugging in, it only goes to the internet connection on the back of the computer.

I tried to connect the labtop to the wireless little 2wire router from my tower computer. It recognizes it, but it can't establish a connection. I was finnaly able to get a connection only by taking my Belkin G Plus Router to the 2 wire modem in my bedroom and then it worked.

Isn't it possible though to connect to the 2 wire router from my tower computer? The installer said "he doesn't know much about laptop computers" and said it was supposed to work but it's not. I'd rather not use an additional wireless router if I don't have to? Please explain!

Just got Uverse today. I have a regular Dell tower computer and a laptob Dell computer. My 2 Wire modem is in my bedroom because the installer said it was closet to the telephone connector deal outside. Then hooked up this little route thing to my Dell tower computer that is this tiny little thing with an antenna. I still don't get how it powers itself on without plugging in, it only goes to the internet connection on the back of the computer.

I tried to connect the labtop to the wireless little 2wire router from my tower computer. It recognizes it, but it can't establish a connection. I was finnaly able to get a connection only by taking my Belkin G Plus Router to the 2 wire modem in my bedroom and then it worked.

Isn't it possible though to connect to the 2 wire router from my tower computer? The installer said "he doesn't know much about laptop computers" and said it was supposed to work but it's not. I'd rather not use an additional wireless router if I don't have to? Please explain!

How do I hook up a labtop to the 2 Wire?

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2008 6:20:05 PM
(0)
Master
You should just be able to look at the available wireless networks on your laptop, find the one that matches the SSID on the side of your 2wire (ie 2wire450 or whatever it is) then click on it and click connect, when it asks for the Key, it is also on the side of your 2wire.
You should just be able to look at the available wireless networks on your laptop, find the one that matches the SSID on the side of your 2wire (ie 2wire450 or whatever it is) then click on it and click connect, when it asks for the Key, it is also on the side of your 2wire.

Re: How do I hook up a labtop to the 2 Wire?

2 of 10 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2008 6:29:04 PM
(0)
Master

http://gateway.2wire.net/xslt?PAGE=C05&THISPAGE=C01&NEXTPAGE=C05

in case u need to see the wireless settings in the rg3800 router..  aka what encryption is turned on etc or which channel is being used ..

u will need the 10 digit passcode on the sticker as well ..  (the other passcode)

just a thought

randy

http://gateway.2wire.net/xslt?PAGE=C05&THISPAGE=C01&NEXTPAGE=C05

in case u need to see the wireless settings in the rg3800 router..  aka what encryption is turned on etc or which channel is being used ..

u will need the 10 digit passcode on the sticker as well ..  (the other passcode)

just a thought

randy

3 of 10 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2008 7:00:08 PM
(0)
Master

Oh yeah, I forgot about the encryption type :smileyhappy:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the encryption type :smileyhappy:

4 of 10 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2008 11:01:22 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thank  you, now it works. The installer gave me a pass and key. I placed the key code for the wireless connection when the laptop recognized it. but as I was saying before it didn't do anything. The installer never went to this configuration site but then again he said he didn't know how to set it up (which I thought was weird). Thanks for the help.

I guess the only thing left to ask...is the 2 wire router any better, same or worse then my Belkin G+ router? I can't tell a difference but I don't use this laptop very often. It's my fiance's, not mine. I prefer regular computers.:smileyhappy:

Thank  you, now it works. The installer gave me a pass and key. I placed the key code for the wireless connection when the laptop recognized it. but as I was saying before it didn't do anything. The installer never went to this configuration site but then again he said he didn't know how to set it up (which I thought was weird). Thanks for the help.

I guess the only thing left to ask...is the 2 wire router any better, same or worse then my Belkin G+ router? I can't tell a difference but I don't use this laptop very often. It's my fiance's, not mine. I prefer regular computers.:smileyhappy:

5 of 10 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2008 7:51:59 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Greentea wrote:

One of the biggest features I like in the rg is, it has a built in firewall and the Belkin router doesn't.  (At least the Belkin routers I have don't).  I still use a software firewall but I have complete confidence in the rg.  There are those who post here who can tell you about the other benefits of the rg as well.  Enjoy!:smileyhappy:

Greentea wrote:

One of the biggest features I like in the rg is, it has a built in firewall and the Belkin router doesn't.  (At least the Belkin routers I have don't).  I still use a software firewall but I have complete confidence in the rg.  There are those who post here who can tell you about the other benefits of the rg as well.  Enjoy!:smileyhappy:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 10 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2008 8:00:44 AM
(0)
Mentor
I lied, it keeps connecting to my other router. It refuses to connect to the 2wire router. I guess I will have to call Att to get this thing to work.
I lied, it keeps connecting to my other router. It refuses to connect to the 2wire router. I guess I will have to call Att to get this thing to work.

7 of 10 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2008 9:03:15 AM
(0)
Master

So you still have the Belkin hooked up? I'm confused on what you are doing exactly...Why do you have another wireless router hooked up? If you have that one connected, then you should have the RG wireless disabled.

So I guess answer this for me, which one are you ultimately wanting to use for your wireless?

So you still have the Belkin hooked up? I'm confused on what you are doing exactly...Why do you have another wireless router hooked up? If you have that one connected, then you should have the RG wireless disabled.

So I guess answer this for me, which one are you ultimately wanting to use for your wireless?

8 of 10 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2008 11:23:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

Well after an hour on the phone I finnaly got my laptop to work. Basically I was trying to connect with the Dell wireless connection icon that showed it was there, didn't say it was connected though and when I placed the key in there but it didn't do jack. The other odd thing was the Dell wireless management was still showing the Belkin and was defaulting to connect to it even though I unplugged it. They reseted the network and it still didn't work.

Then went to services. msc, did something there by checking "start". Still didn't work. It was connected but now it was giving an error "third party router".when I connected to the internet. But it was actually showing connected at the bottom this

Then had me right click on the windows wireless connection, and checked the box "let windows check my wireless connection" or something of that effect it connected and works great. This little router is stronger then the Belkin. Thanks to the tech that helped me with this. She was probably exhausted talking with me.

I guess the worse case scenerio is I wouldn't be able to use the laptop with the 2Wire, but really wanted to use this and not have the cluter of having something I didn't need if I didn't have to.

Well after an hour on the phone I finnaly got my laptop to work. Basically I was trying to connect with the Dell wireless connection icon that showed it was there, didn't say it was connected though and when I placed the key in there but it didn't do jack. The other odd thing was the Dell wireless management was still showing the Belkin and was defaulting to connect to it even though I unplugged it. They reseted the network and it still didn't work.

Then went to services. msc, did something there by checking "start". Still didn't work. It was connected but now it was giving an error "third party router".when I connected to the internet. But it was actually showing connected at the bottom this

Then had me right click on the windows wireless connection, and checked the box "let windows check my wireless connection" or something of that effect it connected and works great. This little router is stronger then the Belkin. Thanks to the tech that helped me with this. She was probably exhausted talking with me.

I guess the worse case scenerio is I wouldn't be able to use the laptop with the 2Wire, but really wanted to use this and not have the cluter of having something I didn't need if I didn't have to.

9 of 10 (890 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2010 8:32:21 AM
(0)
Contributor

mu grandsons xbox 360 goes off when i get on the internet, i can't fix it

mu grandsons xbox 360 goes off when i get on the internet, i can't fix it

Re: How do I hook up a xbox360

10 of 10 (890 Views)