How do AT&T get away with breaking advertising laws.

How do AT&T get away with breaking advertising laws.

AT&T have a web site http://uverseonline.att.net/uverse which portrays to provide access to many videos of TV and movies.  We are new AT&T U-verse customers who signed up believing that.  However, the AT&T on-line chat support (NOVA SHIELA) and a human being at 1-800-288-2020 have both confirmed that this is a false gimick for customers within the USA.

Every single video on-line is described as being "Unavailable for your region" - and both support personnel confessed that nore are actually available.  As this was one of the primary distinguishing factors for us to choose AT&T over other alternatives, we feel more than cheated, by their specific promise. I feel like they should be made to shut down their fake web site.  It even has a watch now button on an allegedly featured item (currently the Royal Pains TV series).  As I bought the overall product being told specifcially thah that was an available feature, I know I'll have no trouble getting my money back, but how can they advertise this blatant falsehood.

I don't want other people to go through the trouble of signing up for service with an allegedly prominent feature that doesn't exist.

DO NOT believe AT&T's advertisements for streaming video available over the Internet.  It is NOT true.

Message 1 of 58 (3,048 Views)

Re: How do AT&T get away with breaking advertising laws.

Responding to spd2demun: Yes it probably did take you a long while to find that thread - it was under U-verse TV rather than U-verse Internet.  Well done!  This looks like an identical technical issue affecting only a small percentage of posters, and with a similar initial response from online customer support - though not as drastic as my experience with AT&T's "NOVA SHIELA", who neither helped me nor helped her employer with her stunning response.

Message 46 of 58 (1,966 Views)
Expert

Well, hopefully this will give David and the crew a lead on what's going on.

Good luck!

Message 47 of 58 (1,966 Views)

AT&T U-verse online video clips are still not working for me.  Ongoing discussions apparently continue between Hulu and AT&T.  Hulu content offered through a third party such as AT&T's U-verse web site is stored on a different set of servers at Hulu, than the servers behind www.hulu.com. This apparently combines with no geographical location associated with my specific IP address (at the Hulu servers for 3rd parties),

Plenty of Internet sites have no problem identifying my current and previously allocated IP addressese. They are somewhat inaccurate (Santa Clara, California, and previously Brisbane, California are both within 50 miles of me. This is not enough of a geographical mis-placement to turn of ALL video access.

Message 48 of 58 (1,966 Views)
Expert

Hope they can get to the bottom of this soon. :smileysad:

Message 49 of 58 (1,966 Views)
Expert

Believe this is still an unresolved mystery?

Found another thread with the same situation, here.

Message 50 of 58 (1,966 Views)
Teacher

It's working. A big thanks to all involved. Hopefully, it's working for everyone else too.:smileyhappy:

Message 51 of 58 (1,849 Views)
Expert

Excellent!

Thanks for letting us know, and hopefully the others will check in here as well.

jknoy36247 wrote:

It's working. A big thanks to all involved. Hopefully, it's working for everyone else too.:smileyhappy:

Message 52 of 58 (1,849 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

Thank god....  :smileyhappy:

I think the recent patch for the DVR fast forward problem might have also been in cahoots with this one. Not sure as I heard it was a patch to fix some server problems. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 53 of 58 (1,849 Views)
Expert

Well, guess the other posters need to chime in here.

Good to hear they found the fix!

Message 54 of 58 (1,849 Views)

I am the original poster.  This issue was finally resolved for me yesterday October 1, 2010.  i offer a particular thanks to Matt in support, and to others who encouraged me to disbelieve the strange comments by first level support.

I can now view online content via U-verse online. There's no more  "unavailable in your region" message.

Message 55 of 58 (1,849 Views)
Expert

Thanks for the update.  What was the cause of th problem?

Message 56 of 58 (1,849 Views)
Expert

See David's post.

texasguy37 wrote:

Thanks for the update.  What was the cause of th problem?

Message 57 of 58 (1,849 Views)
Expert

YW :smileywink:  Never thought it was just you, too many other instances buried throughout the forum.
If you wouldn't mind, use the drop-down and mark the post in which you consider this solved.  Never mind, I see you're way ahead of me! :smileyhappy:
Enjoy your UV! :smileyhappy:

chrisbenson56 wrote:

I am the original poster.  This issue was finally resolved for me yesterday October 1, 2010.  i offer a particular thanks to Matt in support, and to others who encouraged me to disbelieve the strange comments by first level support.

I can now view online content via U-verse online. There's no more  "unavailable in your region" message.

Message 58 of 58 (1,849 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.