Posted Sep 5, 2010
7:58:49 PM
How do AT&T get away with breaking advertising laws.

AT&T have a web site http://uverseonline.att.net/uverse which portrays to provide access to many videos of TV and movies.  We are new AT&T U-verse customers who signed up believing that.  However, the AT&T on-line chat support (NOVA SHIELA) and a human being at 1-800-288-2020 have both confirmed that this is a false gimick for customers within the USA.

Every single video on-line is described as being "Unavailable for your region" - and both support personnel confessed that nore are actually available.  As this was one of the primary distinguishing factors for us to choose AT&T over other alternatives, we feel more than cheated, by their specific promise. I feel like they should be made to shut down their fake web site.  It even has a watch now button on an allegedly featured item (currently the Royal Pains TV series).  As I bought the overall product being told specifcially thah that was an available feature, I know I'll have no trouble getting my money back, but how can they advertise this blatant falsehood.

I don't want other people to go through the trouble of signing up for service with an allegedly prominent feature that doesn't exist.

DO NOT believe AT&T's advertisements for streaming video available over the Internet.  It is NOT true.

57 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(57)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 6:32:01 AM
(0)
Expert

Do share, where does it show you are located?

Mine is correct for Houston, surprisingly! :smileyvery-happy:

Do share, where does it show you are located?

Mine is correct for Houston, surprisingly! :smileyvery-happy:

Re: How do AT&T get away with breaking advertising laws.

31 of 58 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 6:40:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

I'm physically in Jacksonville Fl.

My Comcast IP shows Jacksonville Fl, wrong zip but close.

My AT&T IP shows Pompano Beach FL, ~350 miles south of me.

I'm physically in Jacksonville Fl.

My Comcast IP shows Jacksonville Fl, wrong zip but close.

My AT&T IP shows Pompano Beach FL, ~350 miles south of me.

32 of 58 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 8:53:54 AM
(0)
Mentor

I'm the original poster, and http://www.ip2location.com/ reports that I am in San Francisco, California, connecting through AT&T Internet Services. I am actually about 25 miles away in Martinez, California. That's obviously close enough to not warrant blocking video clips for "geopgraphical reasons . My IP address is shown as 99.112.67.149.

At the time of AT&T service sale to me, I was under the impression that I would be able to log in to the AT&T U-verse site from anywhere and view video clips.  All of my reported  experience has been the inability to do so from my "U-verse" home, though.  I'll be trying from a work (not U-verse) location later today.

Thanks for the suggestions.  If it is IP address based, then surely original AT&T support would have been able to help.

I'm the original poster, and http://www.ip2location.com/ reports that I am in San Francisco, California, connecting through AT&T Internet Services. I am actually about 25 miles away in Martinez, California. That's obviously close enough to not warrant blocking video clips for "geopgraphical reasons . My IP address is shown as 99.112.67.149.

At the time of AT&T service sale to me, I was under the impression that I would be able to log in to the AT&T U-verse site from anywhere and view video clips.  All of my reported  experience has been the inability to do so from my "U-verse" home, though.  I'll be trying from a work (not U-verse) location later today.

Thanks for the suggestions.  If it is IP address based, then surely original AT&T support would have been able to help.

33 of 58 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 9:09:24 AM
(0)
Expert

Support usually doesn't have the service, so they don't know all the variables like the actual users.  :smileywink:

Don't give up yet--has to be an answer!

Support usually doesn't have the service, so they don't know all the variables like the actual users.  :smileywink:

Don't give up yet--has to be an answer!

34 of 58 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 9:17:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

chrisbenson56 wrote:

Contact David and his tier 2 team here:
http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=36&id=david

Provide all info required and it might take a short bit of time before they contact you. Give a good phone # and time to call. They will solve your Uverse online problems, good luck. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

chrisbenson56 wrote:

Contact David and his tier 2 team here:
http://www.uverseusers.com/index.php?option=com_openwiki&Itemid=36&id=david

Provide all info required and it might take a short bit of time before they contact you. Give a good phone # and time to call. They will solve your Uverse online problems, good luck. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

35 of 58 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 10:22:56 AM
(0)
Teacher

Quick update - the site works fine for me from work (sonic.net ISP), with or without "logging in" with my u-verse user id/password ...

Quick update - the site works fine for me from work (sonic.net ISP), with or without "logging in" with my u-verse user id/password ...

36 of 58 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 10:38:23 AM
(0)
Expert

Great!

Now hopefully the OP will have the same luck.

Great!

Now hopefully the OP will have the same luck.

37 of 58 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 11:02:13 AM
(0)
Mentor

chrisbenson56 wrote:

Hmmm. I learned my English in England - where I was born (perhaps 100 generations there as I am Celtic). My education stopped abruptly - cut short at a Ph.D. from Manchester University in 1980. What more English or education do I need to talk to AT&T (my former employer)?

My on-line session support was on the lines of: if you go to this web-site: http://uverseonline.att.net/uv/tv or this one http://uverseonline.att.net/uv/movies and click on any video clip, a message comes up saying "The requested video cannot be played in your region".  I don't think anything was lost in translation - my 28 years in the USA have perhaps modified my British English to Transatlantic bilingual.  Thanks Vexile for the education suggestion, though.

Well my response was 1 small part sarcasm but mainly an honest suggestion, as you do see a few postings here that seem to point back to a language barrier as a potential issue.

I work for one of the largest IT companies in the world as a Program Manager, and have to deal with the problems caused by our offshore support teams all the time.

The big "red flag" in your post was your statement of "have both confirmed that this is a false gimick (sic) for customers within the USA.".  I find it impossible to believe that one, much less two, AT&T employees would openly admit that their company was basically defrauding its customers; especially considering the vast majority of those calls are recorded.  A more likely explanation is that you misunderstood what they said or "embellished" their responses.

If you are 100% certain that they told you this, then my next step would be to call the Attorney General of your state and inform them.  Then, I'd contact your local newspaper.  If the AG doesn't move on your accusations on their own, the press coverage would "encourage" them to do so.

And I apologize if you took offense at my theory about ESL - it could be a function of the region that you were raised and/or your university training but your statements have a number of "unusual" word pairings and syntax (for example "false gimick (sic)" a gimmick is generally understood to be something disingenuous so using the word "false" is highly redundant) that to (most) Americans sound very artificial and are usually seen by people "trying" too hard to use the English language.

Regardless, if you stick to your gunns about the "false gimick (sic)" statement, then you have a responsibility to bring this to the proper authorities.

chrisbenson56 wrote:

Hmmm. I learned my English in England - where I was born (perhaps 100 generations there as I am Celtic). My education stopped abruptly - cut short at a Ph.D. from Manchester University in 1980. What more English or education do I need to talk to AT&T (my former employer)?

My on-line session support was on the lines of: if you go to this web-site: http://uverseonline.att.net/uv/tv or this one http://uverseonline.att.net/uv/movies and click on any video clip, a message comes up saying "The requested video cannot be played in your region".  I don't think anything was lost in translation - my 28 years in the USA have perhaps modified my British English to Transatlantic bilingual.  Thanks Vexile for the education suggestion, though.

Well my response was 1 small part sarcasm but mainly an honest suggestion, as you do see a few postings here that seem to point back to a language barrier as a potential issue.

I work for one of the largest IT companies in the world as a Program Manager, and have to deal with the problems caused by our offshore support teams all the time.

The big "red flag" in your post was your statement of "have both confirmed that this is a false gimick (sic) for customers within the USA.".  I find it impossible to believe that one, much less two, AT&T employees would openly admit that their company was basically defrauding its customers; especially considering the vast majority of those calls are recorded.  A more likely explanation is that you misunderstood what they said or "embellished" their responses.

If you are 100% certain that they told you this, then my next step would be to call the Attorney General of your state and inform them.  Then, I'd contact your local newspaper.  If the AG doesn't move on your accusations on their own, the press coverage would "encourage" them to do so.

And I apologize if you took offense at my theory about ESL - it could be a function of the region that you were raised and/or your university training but your statements have a number of "unusual" word pairings and syntax (for example "false gimick (sic)" a gimmick is generally understood to be something disingenuous so using the word "false" is highly redundant) that to (most) Americans sound very artificial and are usually seen by people "trying" too hard to use the English language.

Regardless, if you stick to your gunns about the "false gimick (sic)" statement, then you have a responsibility to bring this to the proper authorities.

38 of 58 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 9:00:53 PM
(0)
Mentor

mibrnsurg.  Thank you kindly.  I have contacted the support email at your provided web site, and will report back the outcome.  Others should consider this thread closed (or at least suspended) until I can post an outcome. I noted at least two other responding posters had the identical problem to me. Thank you again.

mibrnsurg.  Thank you kindly.  I have contacted the support email at your provided web site, and will report back the outcome.  Others should consider this thread closed (or at least suspended) until I can post an outcome. I noted at least two other responding posters had the identical problem to me. Thank you again.

39 of 58 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 11:53:50 PM
(0)
Expert

You know, we had something similar happen a few years back with a new online content service; it was called Broadband Extras back in 2007. 

Some people could access it, others couldn't.  Recall SF Bay area was one who couldn't see the ESPN 360 part.

There were IP access issues involved, and based on which email addy you had.  Possibly this is another situation like that?

David (our ATT escalation team person) did post in that thread and an ATT employee showed up to try and figure it out.

I'm going to mention this to David and see if he thinks it might be a similar situation. :smileywink:

You know, we had something similar happen a few years back with a new online content service; it was called Broadband Extras back in 2007. 

Some people could access it, others couldn't.  Recall SF Bay area was one who couldn't see the ESPN 360 part.

There were IP access issues involved, and based on which email addy you had.  Possibly this is another situation like that?

David (our ATT escalation team person) did post in that thread and an ATT employee showed up to try and figure it out.

I'm going to mention this to David and see if he thinks it might be a similar situation. :smileywink:

40 of 58 (1,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2010 11:45:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

I'm posting a minor incomplete update, because I know others were having the same technical issue as me (and at least one other customer got the same initial support response/denial as me).

I have had two email interactions with a 2nd tier support person (as recommended in this thread), who has asked specific clarifications of the problem, but the technical issue is no closer to being solved.

I'm posting a minor incomplete update, because I know others were having the same technical issue as me (and at least one other customer got the same initial support response/denial as me).

I have had two email interactions with a 2nd tier support person (as recommended in this thread), who has asked specific clarifications of the problem, but the technical issue is no closer to being solved.

41 of 58 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2010 12:35:12 AM
(0)
Teacher

Chrisbenson56, can you watch CBS? So far, thats is the only content that works for me. I just watched 1 minute of Big Brother.

Chrisbenson56, can you watch CBS? So far, thats is the only content that works for me. I just watched 1 minute of Big Brother.

42 of 58 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2010 3:00:50 AM
(0)
Expert

They're still keeping in touch, and would think they're trying to pin it down since not all are having this issue.

If more people are having the same problem, please report to David.

chrisbenson56 wrote:

They're still keeping in touch, and would think they're trying to pin it down since not all are having this issue.

If more people are having the same problem, please report to David.

chrisbenson56 wrote:

43 of 58 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2010 11:03:43 AM
(0)
Expert

OK, I knew I had seen this before, took a LOT of reading to find it.

The OP was in Dallas and getting the same message as you are.  Sounds like his IP is showing the wrong Region.

chrisbenson56 wrote:

AT&T have a web site http://uverseonline.att.net/uverse which portrays to provide access to many videos of TV and movies.  We are new AT&T U-verse customers who signed up believing that.  However, the AT&T on-line chat support (NOVA SHIELA) and a human being at 1-800-288-2020 have both confirmed that this is a false gimick for customers within the USA.

Every single video on-line is described as being "Unavailable for your region" - and both support personnel confessed that nore are actually available.  As this was one of the primary distinguishing factors for us to choose AT&T over other alternatives, we feel more than cheated, by their specific promise. I feel like they should be made to shut down their fake web site.  It even has a watch now button on an allegedly featured item (currently the Royal Pains TV series).  As I bought the overall product being told specifcially thah that was an available feature, I know I'll have no trouble getting my money back, but how can they advertise this blatant falsehood.

I don't want other people to go through the trouble of signing up for service with an allegedly prominent feature that doesn't exist.

DO NOT believe AT&T's advertisements for streaming video available over the Internet.  It is NOT true.

OK, I knew I had seen this before, took a LOT of reading to find it.

The OP was in Dallas and getting the same message as you are.  Sounds like his IP is showing the wrong Region.

chrisbenson56 wrote:

44 of 58 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2010 9:37:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

Responding to jknoy36247 - yes I can see CBS Big Brother.  I further note that the player (right click on the embedded video) for this is AT&T CBS Viewer v2.0.5.  For the vast majority of denied clips, the content is provided by Hulu, and the video player embedded within the AT&T U-verse web page is "Hulu Player".

I received further interaction today with AT&T Tier II Tech Support, and they are focusing on the Hulu player, and are having discussions with Hulu.

On a non-technical issue note, I too could only watch one minute of Big Brother :-)

Responding to jknoy36247 - yes I can see CBS Big Brother.  I further note that the player (right click on the embedded video) for this is AT&T CBS Viewer v2.0.5.  For the vast majority of denied clips, the content is provided by Hulu, and the video player embedded within the AT&T U-verse web page is "Hulu Player".

I received further interaction today with AT&T Tier II Tech Support, and they are focusing on the Hulu player, and are having discussions with Hulu.

On a non-technical issue note, I too could only watch one minute of Big Brother :-)

45 of 58 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2010 10:08:36 PM
(0)
Mentor

Responding to spd2demun: Yes it probably did take you a long while to find that thread - it was under U-verse TV rather than U-verse Internet.  Well done!  This looks like an identical technical issue affecting only a small percentage of posters, and with a similar initial response from online customer support - though not as drastic as my experience with AT&T's "NOVA SHIELA", who neither helped me nor helped her employer with her stunning response.

Responding to spd2demun: Yes it probably did take you a long while to find that thread - it was under U-verse TV rather than U-verse Internet.  Well done!  This looks like an identical technical issue affecting only a small percentage of posters, and with a similar initial response from online customer support - though not as drastic as my experience with AT&T's "NOVA SHIELA", who neither helped me nor helped her employer with her stunning response.

46 of 58 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2010 4:16:05 PM
(0)
Expert

Well, hopefully this will give David and the crew a lead on what's going on.

Good luck!

Well, hopefully this will give David and the crew a lead on what's going on.

Good luck!

47 of 58 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2010 11:42:47 PM
(0)
Mentor

AT&T U-verse online video clips are still not working for me.  Ongoing discussions apparently continue between Hulu and AT&T.  Hulu content offered through a third party such as AT&T's U-verse web site is stored on a different set of servers at Hulu, than the servers behind www.hulu.com. This apparently combines with no geographical location associated with my specific IP address (at the Hulu servers for 3rd parties),

Plenty of Internet sites have no problem identifying my current and previously allocated IP addressese. They are somewhat inaccurate (Santa Clara, California, and previously Brisbane, California are both within 50 miles of me. This is not enough of a geographical mis-placement to turn of ALL video access.

AT&T U-verse online video clips are still not working for me.  Ongoing discussions apparently continue between Hulu and AT&T.  Hulu content offered through a third party such as AT&T's U-verse web site is stored on a different set of servers at Hulu, than the servers behind www.hulu.com. This apparently combines with no geographical location associated with my specific IP address (at the Hulu servers for 3rd parties),

Plenty of Internet sites have no problem identifying my current and previously allocated IP addressese. They are somewhat inaccurate (Santa Clara, California, and previously Brisbane, California are both within 50 miles of me. This is not enough of a geographical mis-placement to turn of ALL video access.

48 of 58 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2010 7:54:39 AM
(0)
Expert

Hope they can get to the bottom of this soon. :smileysad:

Hope they can get to the bottom of this soon. :smileysad:

49 of 58 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 9:53:57 PM
(0)
Expert

Believe this is still an unresolved mystery?

Found another thread with the same situation, here.

Believe this is still an unresolved mystery?

Found another thread with the same situation, here.

50 of 58 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 3:41:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

It's working. A big thanks to all involved. Hopefully, it's working for everyone else too.:smileyhappy:

It's working. A big thanks to all involved. Hopefully, it's working for everyone else too.:smileyhappy:

51 of 58 (1,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 9:16:17 AM
(0)
Expert

Excellent!

Thanks for letting us know, and hopefully the others will check in here as well.

jknoy36247 wrote:

Excellent!

Thanks for letting us know, and hopefully the others will check in here as well.

jknoy36247 wrote:

52 of 58 (1,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 1:34:05 PM
(0)
Employee

Thank god....  :smileyhappy:

I think the recent patch for the DVR fast forward problem might have also been in cahoots with this one. Not sure as I heard it was a patch to fix some server problems. 

Thank god....  :smileyhappy:

I think the recent patch for the DVR fast forward problem might have also been in cahoots with this one. Not sure as I heard it was a patch to fix some server problems. 

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

53 of 58 (1,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2010 2:06:50 PM
(0)
Expert

Well, guess the other posters need to chime in here.

Good to hear they found the fix!

Well, guess the other posters need to chime in here.

Good to hear they found the fix!

54 of 58 (1,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 2:16:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

I am the original poster.  This issue was finally resolved for me yesterday October 1, 2010.  i offer a particular thanks to Matt in support, and to others who encouraged me to disbelieve the strange comments by first level support.

I can now view online content via U-verse online. There's no more  "unavailable in your region" message.

I am the original poster.  This issue was finally resolved for me yesterday October 1, 2010.  i offer a particular thanks to Matt in support, and to others who encouraged me to disbelieve the strange comments by first level support.

I can now view online content via U-verse online. There's no more  "unavailable in your region" message.

55 of 58 (1,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 2:17:53 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Thanks for the update.  What was the cause of th problem?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

56 of 58 (1,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 5:27:11 PM
(0)
Expert

See David's post.

texasguy37 wrote:

See David's post.

texasguy37 wrote:

57 of 58 (1,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 5:30:39 PM
(0)
Expert

YW :smileywink:  Never thought it was just you, too many other instances buried throughout the forum.
If you wouldn't mind, use the drop-down and mark the post in which you consider this solved.  Never mind, I see you're way ahead of me! :smileyhappy:
Enjoy your UV! :smileyhappy:

chrisbenson56 wrote:

YW :smileywink:  Never thought it was just you, too many other instances buried throughout the forum.
If you wouldn't mind, use the drop-down and mark the post in which you consider this solved.  Never mind, I see you're way ahead of me! :smileyhappy:
Enjoy your UV! :smileyhappy:

chrisbenson56 wrote:

58 of 58 (1,378 Views)