Posted Oct 23, 2008
1:21:38 PM
View profile
HomeView

I noticed OP made a post about it in the Announcements section, has anyone tried it yet?

I did and I don't think it's special. Windows can do all that stuff natively.  The only thing is the HomeView map is better than Vista's map, but I don't think that would need to be a reason fora whole sepearte program.

I noticed OP made a post about it in the Announcements section, has anyone tried it yet?

I did and I don't think it's special. Windows can do all that stuff natively.  The only thing is the HomeView map is better than Vista's map, but I don't think that would need to be a reason fora whole sepearte program.

HomeView

18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2008 1:27:30 PM
(0)
Guru
I agree. But, I am curious if this will eventually allow us to share media, photos, videos, music to the stb's? That'd be nice!
I agree. But, I am curious if this will eventually allow us to share media, photos, videos, music to the stb's? That'd be nice!

Re: HomeView

2 of 19 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2008 1:49:11 PM
(0)
Professor

I have tried it, but I can't get any of it to work after the install.  Here is the post I made about it several days ago.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=HSIA&thread.id=5635

I have tried it, but I can't get any of it to work after the install.  Here is the post I made about it several days ago.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=HSIA&thread.id=5635

3 of 19 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2008 4:25:01 PM
(0)
Professor

awhited74 wrote:

Not sure, but for now I'm uninstalling it. I don't need another program running in the background.

MarkShadid, I'm not too sure what could be the problem. I guess AT&T still needs to work on it. Did you download the right one for your OS?

awhited74 wrote:

Not sure, but for now I'm uninstalling it. I don't need another program running in the background.

MarkShadid, I'm not too sure what could be the problem. I guess AT&T still needs to work on it. Did you download the right one for your OS?

4 of 19 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2008 5:54:26 PM
(0)
Professor

Uturnaroun wrote:

awhited74 wrote:

Yeah I give it a shot on occasion just to see if I can get it to work.  I've given up on it for he most part until more people use it and know more about it.  Then someone smarter than myself will figure out what's wrong with it LOL.

Uturnaroun wrote:

awhited74 wrote:

Yeah I give it a shot on occasion just to see if I can get it to work.  I've given up on it for he most part until more people use it and know more about it.  Then someone smarter than myself will figure out what's wrong with it LOL.

5 of 19 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2008 10:50:09 PM
(0)
Professor

Got it working on the Vista computer.  Just had to reinstall J Script.  So if anyone using Vista is having trouble with the tool, here's how to reinstall J Script:

Windows Vista users must reregister JScript.dll and VBScript.dll:
  1. Click Start and select Search.
  2. In the Search box, type CMD and click OK.
  3. In the Search results window, right-click CMD and select Run as Administrator.
  4. In the command prompt, type REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL and press ENTER.
  5. After the confirmation message is displayed, type REGSVR32 VBSCRIPT.DLL and press ENTER.

Got it working on the Vista computer.  Just had to reinstall J Script.  So if anyone using Vista is having trouble with the tool, here's how to reinstall J Script:

Windows Vista users must reregister JScript.dll and VBScript.dll:
  1. Click Start and select Search.
  2. In the Search box, type CMD and click OK.
  3. In the Search results window, right-click CMD and select Run as Administrator.
  4. In the command prompt, type REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL and press ENTER.
  5. After the confirmation message is displayed, type REGSVR32 VBSCRIPT.DLL and press ENTER.

6 of 19 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
Oct 24, 2008 11:46:03 PM
(0)
Guru
I just installed it on my Dell laptop running Windows XP.  I think it was working.  It found my Dell computer, the RG, and my RG connected Brother printer.  I don't think it found my wife's laptop.  Maybe I needed to install it on her computer also.  Anyway, I deleted it because I don't see a need for it right now.
I just installed it on my Dell laptop running Windows XP.  I think it was working.  It found my Dell computer, the RG, and my RG connected Brother printer.  I don't think it found my wife's laptop.  Maybe I needed to install it on her computer also.  Anyway, I deleted it because I don't see a need for it right now.

7 of 19 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2008 12:06:34 AM
(0)
Expert
I wonder if ATT is using us as labrats here? :smileyhappy:
I wonder if ATT is using us as labrats here? :smileyhappy:

8 of 19 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2008 6:50:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
It isn't hard to do, all they have to do is read the posts.
It isn't hard to do, all they have to do is read the posts.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

9 of 19 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2008 11:19:29 PM
(0)
Expert
umm hmm... :smileywink:
umm hmm... :smileywink:

10 of 19 (784 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2008 3:36:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

Obviously this doesn't work on Vista 64bit... =(

If someone knows how to get it running on 64bit Vista gimme hollar pls :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by RENWALDO on 12-01-2008 03:37 PM

If someone knows how to get it running on 64bit Vista gimme hollar pls :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by RENWALDO on 12-01-2008 03:37 PM

11 of 19 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2008 3:37:44 PM
(0)
Master

RENWALDO wrote:

thats not an elite club as u know  :-p)

RENWALDO wrote:

thats not an elite club as u know  :-p)

12 of 19 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2008 4:16:28 PM
(0)
Contributor
Lol this is true, so true....
Lol this is true, so true....

13 of 19 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2008 3:10:06 PM
(0)
Teacher

As an alternative to HomeView, I highly recommend the wonderful (and free) application SpiceWorks developed by a small private company in Austin, TX. 

More info here.

As an alternative to HomeView, I highly recommend the wonderful (and free) application SpiceWorks developed by a small private company in Austin, TX. 

More info here.

14 of 19 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2008 6:55:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

gerick wrote:

More info here.

Do you have a lot of experience with this software?  Does it work with all of the os?

gerick wrote:

More info here.

Do you have a lot of experience with this software?  Does it work with all of the os?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 19 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2008 9:04:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

After reading a review in PC Magazine, I have used SpiceWorks to inventory and manage my network.  The software is browser based (runs in ie 6 or 7 or Firefox 1.5 - 2.0) and the plug-in only supports Windows (including Vista-64).  You can access Linux PCs, but the software requires a Win box to run on.  The software only installs on one machine and will scan your net for all devices (switches, routers, printers, pcs, etc.).

It has a Help Desk application that is over kill for home owners.  I don't use that application.

Monitoring can be used to check which pcs have updated hotfixes and security updates, check for low disk space, etc.

It is free because is it ad based but you can pay for an ad free version.

After reading a review in PC Magazine, I have used SpiceWorks to inventory and manage my network.  The software is browser based (runs in ie 6 or 7 or Firefox 1.5 - 2.0) and the plug-in only supports Windows (including Vista-64).  You can access Linux PCs, but the software requires a Win box to run on.  The software only installs on one machine and will scan your net for all devices (switches, routers, printers, pcs, etc.).

It has a Help Desk application that is over kill for home owners.  I don't use that application.

Monitoring can be used to check which pcs have updated hotfixes and security updates, check for low disk space, etc.

It is free because is it ad based but you can pay for an ad free version.

16 of 19 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2008 9:18:56 AM
(0)
Guru
What I like about homeview is the wireless connection tool. Is this present in spiceworks?
What I like about homeview is the wireless connection tool. Is this present in spiceworks?

17 of 19 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2008 11:21:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Not to start any conspiracy theories or cause any undue paranoia, but it would seem far to convenient (considering AT&T's more than cooperative relations with the NSA) to have an AT&T program that exposes all your network devices for status and/or viewing behind an AT&T controlled router/gateway.

NSA backdoor maybe? Just food for thought.

neon_sign.jpg

Not to start any conspiracy theories or cause any undue paranoia, but it would seem far to convenient (considering AT&T's more than cooperative relations with the NSA) to have an AT&T program that exposes all your network devices for status and/or viewing behind an AT&T controlled router/gateway.

NSA backdoor maybe? Just food for thought.

neon_sign.jpg

18 of 19 (613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 11, 2008 11:22:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Whats that strange clicking on my phone line. :smileywink:

neon_sign.jpg

Whats that strange clicking on my phone line. :smileywink:

neon_sign.jpg

19 of 19 (613 Views)