Home Network and IPTV

Teacher

Home Network and IPTV

Planning to get Uverse soon, and have questions about setting up a wired home network. Want to use Cat5e cable for all runs, no coax, due to its age.  Since the total PC and TV connections will exceed the four ports on the RG, I will need a router to expand.  Can I mix IPTV and PC among the ports, or should the TV feeds be separated? I know it's all IP, but the bandwidth to drive an STB makes we wonder how this will all play out. Thanks!

Message 1 of 6 (642 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Home Network and IPTV

Actually you could use a 5 or 8 port switch (Netgear good w/602.1p) fed by 1 of the 4 ethernet ports.  TV and data should remain separate runs.  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (625 Views)
Teacher

Thanks for the reply.

Message 3 of 6 (607 Views)
Teacher

I agree with the option mentioned. I am using powerline adapters plugged into switches at both TVs and into my desktop computer and get good connections with no issues. I am trying to cut down my wireless connections because of some intermittent connectivity issues and this is working quite well for me.

Message 4 of 6 (536 Views)
Teacher

Just to clarify, when you say TV and Internet should be on separate runs, do you mean a dedicated Cat5e run for each. Or do you mean that IPTV and Internet need to be on separate switches? Would there be any problems with one feed from the switch going to a STB and another going to a computer, or should all runs out of the switch be for the same type of service? Not trying to be picky, but I'd like to configure all the wire ahead of time and don't want to have to do a lot of changing. Thanks!

Message 5 of 6 (489 Views)
ACE - Expert

I believe, you want to have TV out of one jack on the RG and computers out of another. All wires & switches in each "leg" would be dedicated to one or the other.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 6 (483 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support