Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Jan 31, 2009
4:52:13 AM
View profile
High Speed Internet Without TV

I want internet access only, no TV bundles.  Is U-Verse available as internet only?  I couldn't seem to find the answer on any ATT set up pages.

Thanks in advance,

Tom Husband

I want internet access only, no TV bundles.  Is U-Verse available as internet only?  I couldn't seem to find the answer on any ATT set up pages.

Thanks in advance,

Tom Husband

High Speed Internet Without TV

15 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(15)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 5:17:02 AM
(0)
Master

thusband wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Tom Husband

U can ask when u order...?

Some have psoted they ordered both and canceled the tv side since they had dish/direc-tv  contracts etc

Randy

thusband wrote:

Thanks in advance,

Tom Husband

U can ask when u order...?

Some have psoted they ordered both and canceled the tv side since they had dish/direc-tv  contracts etc

Randy

Re: High Speed Internet Without TV

2 of 16 (2,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 7:40:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks Randy.  I've sent a message to ATT so we'll I guess.  I think with the Netflix Roku box and a DVD player I can save around $100 a month and still be satisfied.  We'll need the download speed of U-verse to get the HD movies.  We have Directv now and get a couple hundred channels but only really watch a few.  They're increasing the price in March so enough is enough.

Thanks again,

Tom

Thanks Randy.  I've sent a message to ATT so we'll I guess.  I think with the Netflix Roku box and a DVD player I can save around $100 a month and still be satisfied.  We'll need the download speed of U-verse to get the HD movies.  We have Directv now and get a couple hundred channels but only really watch a few.  They're increasing the price in March so enough is enough.

Thanks again,

Tom

3 of 16 (2,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 10:10:29 AM
(0)
Teacher
From my understanding you can't initially order INTERNET ONLY on U-Verse.

But since there's free installation, you could always order VoIP+Internet, TV+Internet,
or TV+VoIP+Internet, wait 30 days and then just cancel the services you don't want
since there is no contract.

You could always consider the month's service that you pay for as an installation or hardware fee.

If you get VoIP, they will (by default it seems) attempt to port your POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) Number over to VoIP. So if you decide to cancel VoIP in 30 days it might be a huge PITA to get your
normal phone service back as it originally was in a timely and headache free manner.

(Because they really screwed up my order, it took the install tech 4 hours on the phone to change
the order to remove VoIP, because they had no provision to keep the POTS Number and just add
VoIP. Then another 3 hours for the install. Would have been longer but most of the cabling needed
already existed.)

You could get the cheapest TV ($40/mo iirc) for a single TV (includes DVR), then cancel that after 30 days.

Why thirty 30days? Well for one they won't charge you the $5 for change-order. But it might be cheaper
to go ahead and pay the $5 change-order plus the pro-rated TV service. if you cancel in less than 30 days.

From my understanding you can't initially order INTERNET ONLY on U-Verse.

But since there's free installation, you could always order VoIP+Internet, TV+Internet,
or TV+VoIP+Internet, wait 30 days and then just cancel the services you don't want
since there is no contract.

You could always consider the month's service that you pay for as an installation or hardware fee.

If you get VoIP, they will (by default it seems) attempt to port your POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) Number over to VoIP. So if you decide to cancel VoIP in 30 days it might be a huge PITA to get your
normal phone service back as it originally was in a timely and headache free manner.

(Because they really screwed up my order, it took the install tech 4 hours on the phone to change
the order to remove VoIP, because they had no provision to keep the POTS Number and just add
VoIP. Then another 3 hours for the install. Would have been longer but most of the cabling needed
already existed.)

You could get the cheapest TV ($40/mo iirc) for a single TV (includes DVR), then cancel that after 30 days.

Why thirty 30days? Well for one they won't charge you the $5 for change-order. But it might be cheaper
to go ahead and pay the $5 change-order plus the pro-rated TV service. if you cancel in less than 30 days.

4 of 16 (2,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 1:50:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hmmm, canceling after 30 days sounds like a possibility.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Would they let you cancel just part of the bundled package?  I think I'll ask them about that.

Thanks again,

Tom

Hmmm, canceling after 30 days sounds like a possibility.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Would they let you cancel just part of the bundled package?  I think I'll ask them about that.

Thanks again,

Tom

5 of 16 (2,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 2:38:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Posters have stated they get internet w/o TV, TV w/o internet and other combinations that have been verified in Employee Central at uverseusers.com that they are installing these combinations on a regular basis. :smileywink:

Chris

I want CBET Channel 9 Please NO SD stretch-o-vision HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition

Posters have stated they get internet w/o TV, TV w/o internet and other combinations that have been verified in Employee Central at uverseusers.com that they are installing these combinations on a regular basis. :smileywink:

Chris

I want CBET Channel 9 Please NO SD stretch-o-vision HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 16 (2,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 2:39:52 PM
(0)
Scholar
Brother in law has Uverse inet and nothing else...
Brother in law has Uverse inet and nothing else...

7 of 16 (2,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 4:01:51 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks everyone.  Lots of good advice.  I've just started looking into all the options.  I wasn't aware of uverseusers.com either.  There's gotta be a way.

Thanka again,

Tom

Message Edited by thusband on 01-31-2009 05:25 PM

Thanks everyone.  Lots of good advice.  I've just started looking into all the options.  I wasn't aware of uverseusers.com either.  There's gotta be a way.

Thanka again,

Tom

Message Edited by thusband on 01-31-2009 05:25 PM

8 of 16 (2,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 4:58:32 PM
(0)
Guru
Message Edited by jimfitzgerald on 02-01-2009 07:08 PM
Message Edited by jimfitzgerald on 02-01-2009 07:08 PM

9 of 16 (2,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 5:26:37 PM
(0)
Teacher

Sorry, STB?

Tom

Sorry, STB?

Tom

10 of 16 (2,131 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 5:31:40 PM
(0)
Master

thusband wrote:

Sorry, STB?

Tom

stb =  set top box   ( no hard drive)       dvr  = stb with hard drvie to record 

thusband wrote:

Sorry, STB?

Tom

stb =  set top box   ( no hard drive)       dvr  = stb with hard drvie to record 

11 of 16 (1,718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 5:41:30 PM
(0)
Teacher
So the STB would be the Roku box?  Wouldn't it be more than $44/month if I have internet access too?
Message Edited by thusband on 01-31-2009 06:55 PM
So the STB would be the Roku box?  Wouldn't it be more than $44/month if I have internet access too?
Message Edited by thusband on 01-31-2009 06:55 PM

12 of 16 (1,718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 5:46:36 PM
(0)
Master

thusband wrote:
So the STB would the Roku box?  Wouldn't it be more than $44/month if I have internet access too?

yep yep  44  +  internet @  30 , 35,  55  etc  =   mucho more

thusband wrote:
So the STB would the Roku box?  Wouldn't it be more than $44/month if I have internet access too?

yep yep  44  +  internet @  30 , 35,  55  etc  =   mucho more

13 of 16 (1,718 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2009 5:46:36 PM
(0)
Guru
Message Edited by jimfitzgerald on 02-01-2009 07:07 PM
Message Edited by jimfitzgerald on 02-01-2009 07:07 PM