Having a problem with U-Verse freezing every 15 mins or so, it affects TV and internet.

Teacher

Having a problem with U-Verse freezing every 15 mins or so, it affects TV and internet.

Anyone else having this problem? I did not like Direct TV because I lost their signal when it rains. Now I have U-vers freezing every few mins affecting both tv & internet.

I am on my third month of use and already thinking of disconnecting it.  I can't keep calling them out because I can't always be here. Also I am getting a weak signal when using my laptop in my bedroom. I end up having to go into the living room to reconnect. When I had SBC DSL I would get a signal any where in my house and outside with no problems.   

I had hoped U-vers would be the next best system, looks like I will end up being wrong and it cost to switch back, but with these problems I have no choice.
Message 1 of 56
Master

Re: Having a problem with U-Verse freezing every 15 mins or so, it affects TV and internet.

If you don't minde going here and copying and pasting what you see on this page. This can also be something as simple as a bad coax connection. Are you using coax or cat 5 wiring in your system?

You can also change the power settings/channel settings in with this link also. You might try that for your wireless issues. It will ask you for your system password, and unless you've changed it, it can be found on the side/bottom of the RG.
Message 2 of 56
Teacher

Re: Having a problem with U-Verse freezing every 15 mins or so, it affects TV and internet.

Coax

Here's what I copied.

View Broadband Link Statistics
Help
Transmit and Receive Data
IP Bytes Packets Errors Transmit: 442349648 2346994 0 Receive: 2183346857 406965049 0
Help
Data Errors
Statistics
Collected for 10 days 9:45:00
Since Reset Current 24-Hour Interval Current 15-Minute Interval Time Since Last Event DSL Link Retrains: 60 21 2 0:05:11 DSL Training Errors: 9 3 0 8:06:07 DSL Training Timeouts: 35 16 0 8:07:23 DSL Loss of Framing Failures: 10720 10720 10720 0:05:11 DSL Loss of Signal Failures: 669 196 18 0:05:11 DSL Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00 DSL Loss of Margin Failures: 34 13 13 0:06:17 DSL Cumulative Errored Seconds: 898 225 18 0:05:11 DSL Severely Errored Seconds: 784 212 18 0:05:11 DSL Corrected Blocks: 10793684 3034760 315252 0:05:11 DSL Uncorrected Blocks: 275044 81799 8501 0:05:11
Message 3 of 56
Expert

You can just cut/paste the last part if you like.:smileywink:   Something is sure not right on yours!
These are mine, not that great, but I'm not experiencing the same issues as you are.

Message Edited by spd2demun on 12-20-2007 12:55 AM
Message 4 of 56
Master

These are my stats and while the numbers are higher than usual, they aren't as bad as yours. Looks like a lot of UC's and other errors. If it was me, I'd be contacting AT&T about it.
Message 5 of 56
Teacher

From reading other people's problems for awhile now, I am leaning toward the fact your hooked up via coax. Did they use existing coax? And if your able to I would try cat5 to a tv to see how that runs.

Also one other thing that I have not ever seen mention online but my install tech mentioned was dont have the gateway near a flourescent light. This happened right after my install and the gateway was right under (2 feet) a flourescent  shop light. The unit kept losing its connection. After moving the gateway the problem went away. I cant say for sure the 2 are related, I kinda had the feeling that it was just having a problem right after initial starting up. But who knows. Just thought I would toss it out there.
Message 6 of 56
Professor

Call 1-800-288-2020

That's ATT tech support, and it seems you're already familiar with them.  Ask them to check your line for noise.  If they seem hesitant ask for tier 2 and have them check for noise, specifically frame loss on your line.  I think that the equipment, and the fact that you're using coax in your house, is fine and nothing to be concerned about.  If you've got noise on the line it would explain everything that is happening here (except for you losing wireless connection in your bedroom..that would depend on other variables..)  If tier one or tier 2 does notice noise (or errors, whatever they want to term it) on the line, ask them to bounce your port, and actually wait for your line to zero out before unlocking your port again.  Then ensure that they stay on the line with you for at least another 5 mins, that way if the error count on your line starts to return and slowly builds up, they'll know there is a larger problem here, like a bad balun, and that way if they have to dispatch a tech (for a balun they would) then the issue will get fixed once and for all instead of just doing the same old reboot this, restart that measures.

I hope this helps you, and plz let us know how this goes for you ok?  Tech support is open 24/7 365 days a year so you can call them right now if you like to get this done, as long as you're still having the issues.  
Message 7 of 56
Teacher

Thanks to all of you but I have no Idea what we are talking about. Someone please explain all of this to me.

Message Edited by portiers on 12-20-2007 06:05 PM
Message 8 of 56
Master

Basically what you posted is the statistics for your whole system. There is a line that reads "Uncorrected Errors". This is the main way to tell  if you are getting "noise" or "interference" on your line either in your home, or the line coming to your home.

The other post basically was telling you how to approach this to Tech support to try and get you a solution as fast as possible. Pretty much there is no way to fix this kind of issue without having tech support send someone to your house, or fix it remotely from their end. In other words, this isn't the way it is supposed to work, so once they get it fixed you should not experience these errors.
Message 9 of 56
Teacher

Thanks to all of you who gave input on this issue. I called tech Service and based on the numbers I posted he was able to see there is a problem. He tried to clear the line but even after doing that was still getting some bad numbers. It has been decided to have a Tech come out to see if he can locate the problem. I will let you know what the problem turns out to be.

These are the problems reported.

1. When recording, the recording stops before the end of the program and if back to back recording, recording starts where the last one stopped.

2. TV freezes and internet drops at the same time.

3. Get a weak wireless internet signal in my bedroom and none outside of my home.

I should know something this time tomorrow.

Message 10 of 56
Expert

Well at least they FOUND something and are coming out...that is good!  Sounds like something wireless/coax-related?  We've had them suggest turning off your WAP (wireless on the RG) if you don't use it (or as a test), as it interferes with some coax installs.

Do let us know what they find out as it could help someone else.  Hope you get all fixed up!

Since you've got them coming out tomorrow, you might want ask them to be sure ALL connectors behind and in front of all wall plates are NEW, as well as NEW connectors on each end of coax.  Many times this is NOT done at install (or only on some lines, not all); it actually happened to me.  And make sure they have installed new diplexers/splitters, too (inside and outside).

If you have time, you can just do a quick check with what you see on the front of the wall plates and the coax into the wall plate/back of DVR/STBs.  They are shiny and smooth...and look different from what Cable companies use.  Just a thought.:smileywink:

Message Edited by spd2demun on 12-21-2007 08:43 PM
Message 11 of 56
Professor

Wow spd really does love coax...:smileysurprised:
Message 12 of 56
Master

Coax Rocks !!!!!!!!!  :smileytongue:)

randy
Message 13 of 56
Expert

Yeah, me and coax are best buds now...:smileyvery-happy:

It only ROCKS at your house, randy!:smileytongue:  I still don't know how you get those near-perfect readings!!  Would you like to borrow my UFO?:smileysurprised:
Message 14 of 56
Teacher

The tech came out to see if he could correct the problems I was having. These are the new numbers after he replaced the modem.
They look a bit better but looks like there are still some uncorrected blocks. I will have to wait to see if it freezes up on me.
What do you think? He says if I still have problems the coax line to the phone box will need to be replaced. He checked the lines coming in and found the numbers were good or clean. I was also told that since I had a speaker located near the modem it may have been the cause of me having a problem with the weak wireless signal to my bedroom, I have moved them out of the room and will see if it makes a difference. He could not tell me how to fix the recording problem. it was suggested that I manually set the time a few mins before the program starts and a few mins longer after it ends. I would have to do this on all programs and that would take a while. Hope this helps for future problems. Sorry I can't get these numbers to post better than this.

Statistics
Collected for 5:02:22
Since Reset Current 24-Hour Interval Current 15-Minute Interval Time Since Last Event DSL Link Retrains: 17 17 0 1:25:08 DSL Training Errors: 5 5 0 1:24:42 DSL Training Timeouts: 19 19 0 1:25:59 DSL Loss of Framing Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00 DSL Loss of Signal Failures: 69 69 0 1:33:18 DSL Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00 DSL Loss of Margin Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00 DSL Cumulative Errored Seconds: 94 94 0 1:33:18 DSL Severely Errored Seconds: 84 84 0 1:33:18 DSL Corrected Blocks: 1361986 1361986 0 0:12:29 DSL Uncorrected Blocks: 35842 35842 0 1:33:18
Message 15 of 56
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support