HP All In One Fax Installation

Teacher

HP All In One Fax Installation

I have a HP Photosmart Premium 309a. Can some one tell me how to install the fax operation. My phone line is plugged inti my RG since I have Uverse voice and I have cordless phones with a  answering machine built in .....Please help

Message 1 of 6 (490 Views)
Tutor

Re: HP All In One Fax Installation

Not sure what you are looking for, but you need to plug a phone cable into the spot marked LINE on the printer (2nd from bottom).  The other end gets plugged into a wall jack, where hopefully it runs back to the RG.

If your current phone is plugged directly into the RG, and everything is close, you can try this:

1. Unplug phone cable from cordless phone that goes to the RG (to be safe unplug just at the phone)
  2. Plug this cable into the Printer at the spot marked LINE
  3. Plug a new phone cable (should be in the box)  into the Printer spot marked EXT
  4. Plug the other end into your cordless phone, where you unplugged one in step-1

Other than the physical connections you are all set to fax directly from the machine.  The MENU options can take you through setup, or you can do it from your PC.  Normally, the defaults are best for the Fax options except for things line your Name.

Message 2 of 6 (490 Views)
Scholar

You don't say what is new or what is changed.  That is, is this a new all-in-one printer that you are trying to get working with U-Verse and never had it working before U-Verse?  Or vice-versa, you did have it working before U-Verse and recently went to U-Verse?

I don't have any fax machine -- I do all my faxing with software called MightyFax on my computer which uses my modem, which in turn is connected to my regular phone wall jack.  It is the same with or without U-Verse.  You should read the quick setup sheet or full manual that came with the all-in-one to learn how to set it up.

Message 3 of 6 (490 Views)
Professor

A 2 into 1 phone line splitter will work too. Any Home Depot, Lowes, electronics store carry them.  Remove the phone line from the RG, plug the splitter into the RG where the phone line was and then plug your phone line back into one of the ports on the splitter, plug you fax machine line into the other port on the splitter and you should be good to go.

Message 4 of 6 (490 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

All I have by the HP device is a phone jack(which is connected wirelessly to the RG. The only phone near the HP is a handset  which is plugged into a wall outlet. My RG is upstairs away from my HP.

Message 5 of 6 (490 Views)
Scholar

TOM1947 wrote:

All I have by the HP device is a phone jack(which is connected wirelessly to the RG. The only phone near the HP is a handset  which is plugged into a wall outlet. My RG is upstairs away from my HP.

I could be wrong but I don't believe that the location of the RG has anything to do with it.  Nor do I think that the phone jack is connected wirelessly to the RG.  Good luck.

Message 6 of 6 (490 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.