HELP! Tier 2 support and opening ports on ATT side

Highlighted
Tutor

HELP! Tier 2 support and opening ports on ATT side

Okay so I bought a slingbox.  I don't have uverse TV, hubby couldn't stand to not have slow motion.  Anyways, long story short, I need to have ATT open one of my ports so that I can access the slingbox outside of my home network.  I've tried 3 times to explain this to them I don't understand how a simple thing like opening your router ports is SO difficult to understand.  

call #1: LOVELY ATT phone DROPPED my call.  :womanmad:

call #2: ATT tier 1 support proceed to transfer me to slingbox customer support - which I had already talked to ONCE already and we figured out it was ATT who needed to open the port.  I thought she was staying on the line with me so she could hear the walk through, but nope, she just dumped it on them again. :womanmad::womanmad:

call #3: I asked for Tier 2 support on the automated voice system (pretty perturbed by now) explained for the 3rd time that I just needed a port opened up so I could access my slingbox.  I was put on hold for a LONG time, then he finally came back and said that T2 tech support was on it and to give them 5-10 mintues to open the port for me.  He did not want to stay on the line to make sure it was opened.:womanmad::womanmad::womanmad: So I go to check my ports (www.yougetsignal.com) and what do ya know, port is CLOSED - it's now been 2 hours later (supposed to have been done in 5-10 minutes.) ALL my ports are closed?!?

Gamers do this stuff all the time, I don't know why it's SO difficult. Could any T2 tech support PLEASE HELP ME!  We are going on vacation and want to watch our football team!

Thanks! 

Message 1 of 12 (1,934 Views)
Expert

Re: HELP! Tier 2 support and opening ports on ATT side

You can contact David who is an AT&T employee in Tier 2 Technical Support.  He has been successful in resolving customer issues after calls to Technical Support have failed to resolve them.  His contact information can be found in this link:  David

Message 2 of 12 (1,934 Views)
Master

http://gateway.2wire.net/xslt?PAGE=J11&THISPAGE=A02_POST&NEXTPAGE=J11

pick the ip of the sling box

then slide down to the choice (slingbox) and add

u will need the passcode on the rg3800 sticker for access to the settings

randy

Message Edited by randyl on 09-22-2009 09:19 AM
Message 3 of 12 (1,934 Views)
Tutor

Thanks Randy,

This has already been done by me and slingbox (via remote access) SEVERAL times.  It has been determined that the problem is that the port that I am trying to route this through is not open on the UVERSE side.  I'm going to contact David as the previous poster recommended.

Thanks for trying!

Message 4 of 12 (1,934 Views)
Master

jerilyng wrote:

Thanks Randy,

This has already been done by me and slingbox (via remote access) SEVERAL times.  It has been determined that the problem is that the port that I am trying to route this through is not open on the UVERSE side.  I'm going to contact David as the previous poster recommended.

Thanks for trying!

so if your port 5001 is closed ?

cant imagine  why at&t would have that particular port  closed...

the only port they have closed / and can open if needed to be is port 25 for  mail

is your slingobox direct to the rg3800 ?

randy

Message 5 of 12 (1,934 Views)
Tutor

Well, I don't know what is going on.  T2 says that port 8080 (sling tech support said to try this one) is open, but I am locked up tight here at home.  I try the yougetsignal.com and I get nothing.  My RG says that the correct ports are open, I have unplugged and plugged back in the router and the slingbox.  I was going to try renewing my DHCP leases, but I have a feeling that won't help.  It seems the problem is outside or I am not doing something correctly on the RG, though I followed all the steps that you laid out above.  I can scan my ports here at home and mac's network utility tells me that port 80 is open and 443. nothing else.  What's worse, now my internet connection is SLOW since I rebooted everything. I am REALLY thinking about going back to DSL : ( 
Message 6 of 12 (1,934 Views)
Tutor

WOW! I think I fixed this on my own.  I talked to the guy at 2wire (thanks Blake you helped more than you know!) he suggested that I clear all devices on the RG. So I totally reset my router - cleared all the devices, reinstalled the slingplayer software, and reset the slingbox, an it seems to have worked.  I also tested the port on www.yougetsignal.com and low and behold that port is now open! YAY!  I think part of the problem was that the sling seemed to be showing up twice on the network - and I think I remember you can only have up to 4 devices on the network at a time (is that correct?)  That being said, do you think I will start running into problems if I have more devices on the network?  I have 2 wireless computers, slingbox (now), a wii, and an iphone that all have the potential to be on the network at the same time, maybe 1 more laptop and the router if that counts.  Would this cause a problem?  They may not be accessing it all at the same time though.  Can I pay for more devices to be on the network?

Message 7 of 12 (1,934 Views)
Master

ipset.jpg

assign the slingbox a ip so its stays on the same ip all the time

there is not a limiting amount of device in your setup

sounds like ur slingobx moved around a lil and grabbed a new ip

this caused the firewall port to be pointing to the wrong ip as u figured out

my slant

randy

Message 8 of 12 (1,934 Views)
Tutor

So I tried to connect to it today from work, and it's not connecting either through slingplayer or through slingmedia.com.  Could this be because I am on my companies network?  Do you think I would have issues, say at a hotel? 
Message 9 of 12 (1,934 Views)
Master

jerilyng wrote:
So I tried to connect to it today from work, and it's not connecting either through slingplayer or through slingmedia.com.  Could this be because I am on my companies network?  Do you think I would have issues, say at a hotel? 

did u bring a  laptop to work   (the one from home ) ?

using work computer ......  is it set up properly ?

correct port and ip info in slingplayer ??  etc

depends on what ur it dept at work has allowed u to do or not do maybe ??

some it guys can really be a pita   lol  :smileyhappy:

randy 

Message 10 of 12 (1,934 Views)
Tutor

I didn't bring my laptop, I might try that tomorrow as my desktop is connected by both ethernet, but we do have wifi as well.  I am thinking (or hoping) that most hotels will be a little bit more open on their end.  The slingbox seems to be set up properly, I went through the setup and it passed as far as the testing for remote viewing outside the network (it has been failing before i fixed it.) In theory everything should work now.  Husband can't check at work, because his IT blocks streaming video : ) love company IT nazi's : )
Message 11 of 12 (851 Views)
Master

hotel restrictions may be a speed issue for quality ??

some hostels are pretty slow...... imho

u can always go to starbucks mcdonalds and try ??

Message 12 of 12 (851 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.