HELP! Networking noob needs help!

Highlighted
Tutor

HELP! Networking noob needs help!

So, I recently signed up for U-Verse service at my apartment.  I have signed up for the 18mbps speed.  Which I do get on my hard wired computer through a pre-existing ethernet cord that comes out of the wall in the living room.  My apartment complex uses ATT exclusively and was completely pre-wired for the service.  Which, unfortunately, puts my uverse wireless router in the bedroom closet.  This is where the problem is...  As I said, the hard wired computer gets a constant and reliable 18Mbps (give or take).  BUT, anything I connect to wirelessly gets an average of 4-5Mbps.  Ridiculous.  As most of the things I use are wireless and aren't used in my bedroom closet.  Things like mine and my girlfriends laptops, xbox 360, ps3, wii, etc.  The signal coming from a router with a reputation for having a weak strength that ALSO lies behind numerous walls just isn't cutting it.  

I've searched and searched and found that people setup another router as an access point to alleviate the issue.  I've viewed tutorials and numerous threads, but it is all like a foreign language to me.  

Is there any EASY way to fix this problem?  Can I go out and buy something that will make it work?   Is there anyone I can hire to come out and set it up?  I'm just tired of paying so much money to get unbelievably bad internet speeds!

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 20 (1,170 Views)
Master

Re: HELP! Networking noob needs help!

How far away are you from the RG in feet also how many walls are between you and the RG in reviews of different units these all affect the unit a lot of people including myself run a wireless router from another mfg

for this and various other reasons and location in the home does matter a central location works best. 

Message 2 of 20 (1,170 Views)
Tutor

I'd say any wireless devices are trying to reach the router from about 20-25 feet away and through about 2-3 different walls, as it is in my bedroom closet.  I would love to run a wireless router from a central location, but as I said it is all foreign to me and I have NO idea what to do.
Message 3 of 20 (1,170 Views)

detlem wrote:

So, I recently signed up for U-Verse service at my apartment.  I have signed up for the 18mbps speed.  Which I do get on my hard wired computer through a pre-existing ethernet cord that comes out of the wall in the living room.  My apartment complex uses ATT exclusively and was completely pre-wired for the service.  Which, unfortunately, puts my uverse wireless router in the bedroom closet.  This is where the problem is...  As I said, the hard wired computer gets a constant and reliable 18Mbps (give or take).  BUT, anything I connect to wirelessly gets an average of 4-5Mbps.  Ridiculous.  As most of the things I use are wireless and aren't used in my bedroom closet.  Things like mine and my girlfriends laptops, xbox 360, ps3, wii, etc.  The signal coming from a router with a reputation for having a weak strength that ALSO lies behind numerous walls just isn't cutting it.  

I've searched and searched and found that people setup another router as an access point to alleviate the issue.  I've viewed tutorials and numerous threads, but it is all like a foreign language to me.  

Is there any EASY way to fix this problem?  Can I go out and buy something that will make it work?   Is there anyone I can hire to come out and set it up?  I'm just tired of paying so much money to get unbelievably bad internet speeds!

Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

If all your game consoles are near your TV/DVR, you should put an ethernet switch there and hardwire everything in.

Actually the radio in the Uverse router is exceptionally strong, but it is only a single antenna "G" router. The more devices connecting to it the less bandwidth each device gets. Add to that all the radio clutter you get in an aprtment complex (cordless phones, microwave ovens, other wireless routers) and your asking a lot of that simple "G" router. If you really have to have everything on wireless, your best bet is to go with your own "N" class MIMO router that uses a 5GHz radio.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

Message 4 of 20 (1,170 Views)
Tutor

Computer-Joe wrote:

If all your game consoles are near your TV/DVR, you should put an ethernet switch there and hardwire everything in.

Actually the radio in the Uverse router is exceptionally strong, but it is only a single antenna "G" router. The more devices connecting to it the less bandwidth each device gets. Add to that all the radio clutter you get in an aprtment complex (cordless phones, microwave ovens, other wireless routers) and your asking a lot of that simple "G" router. If you really have to have everything on wireless, your best bet is to go with your own "N" class MIMO router that uses a 5GHz radio.

Hey man, thanks for the info.  That makes sense.  So, is there an "N" class MIMO router out there that I can just buy and replace my ATT issued 2WIRE router with?  

Message Edited by detlem on 03-30-2009 12:42 PM
Message 5 of 20 (1,170 Views)
Master

No you stated you have U-verse which the RG is a requirement but you can disable the wireless function and add a wireless router.
Message 6 of 20 (1,170 Views)
Tutor

oz wrote:
No you stated you have U-verse which the RG is a requirement but you can disable the wireless function and add a wireless router.

Ooh.  That sounds a little easier.  Any tips on how to do that? 

Message 7 of 20 (1,170 Views)
Master

Enter the address of the router and your password disable the wireless and purchase a good wireless router and follow the directions included two that I like are Linksys (Cisco) and Airport Extreme (Apple) depending

on your needs they are both reputable and somewhat easy to configure. 

Message 8 of 20 (1,170 Views)
Tutor

oz wrote:

Enter the address of the router and your password disable the wireless and purchase a good wireless router and follow the directions included two that I like are Linksys (Cisco) and Airport Extreme (Apple) depending

on your needs they are both reputable and somewhat easy to configure. 

So, after I disable the wireless signal on the RG, I can just plug a third party router into the RG and have it broadcast a wireless signal?  That seems a little too easy of a solution to be true.  Especially with all these technically advanced posts about solving the problem...

Message Edited by detlem on 03-30-2009 03:45 PM
Message 9 of 20 (1,170 Views)
Master

There will be a setup you follow but yeah its not that bad if you get stumped post what model and brand someone here will probably have the same unit the most common is the Linksys wr54g I believe.
Message 10 of 20 (1,170 Views)
Tutor

oz wrote:
There will be a setup you follow but yeah its not that bad if you get stumped post what model and brand someone here will probably have the same unit the most common is the Linksys wr54g I believe.

I have a Linksys WRT54Gs I can use.  Can someone walk me step by step through the process of making this happen? 

Message 11 of 20 (998 Views)
Master

detlem wrote:

oz wrote:

I have a Linksys WRT54Gs I can use.  Can someone walk me step by step through the process of making this happen? 

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/search?submitted=true&q=router+behind+router

Message 12 of 20 (998 Views)
Tutor

randyl wrote:

detlem wrote:

oz wrote:

As I appreciate your extensive help and explanation, it still doesn't help me.  I know how to use a search feature.  But as I explained in my original post, everything I read is foreign to me.  I'm just trying to find an easy explanation that doesn't involve unexplained terminology.

Message 13 of 20 (998 Views)

detlem wrote:

randyl wrote:

detlem wrote:

oz wrote:

As I appreciate your extensive help and explanation, it still doesn't help me.  I know how to use a search feature.  But as I explained in my original post, everything I read is foreign to me.  I'm just trying to find an easy explanation that doesn't involve unexplained terminology.

Well then, back to my original question. Is there a problem with hard wiring the game consoles? That should solve at least 80% of your problems, and the instructions are very simple.

Hey randy, throw in that link for the powerline adapters.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message Edited by Computer-Joe on 03-30-2009 07:24 PM

Message 14 of 20 (998 Views)
Tutor

Well then, back to my original question. Is there a problem with hard wiring the game consoles? That should solve at least 80% of your problems, and the instructions are very simple.

How can you be in two places at once, when your not anywhere at all?
I realy want to become a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

I was going to wait until I got home to see...I didn't know if there was an ethernet cable running from behind my tv to the uverse box.  (I wasn't there when they setup my service.)  If so, its as easy as unplugging the cord from the Uverse box, and plugging that into a switch along with my other consoles?

Message 15 of 20 (998 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.