Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 7, 2010
6:35:53 PM
HD gets "clipped"

I just got a 42" vizio and am trying to figure out how to set up my uverse to work with it.

The problem is when I try setting the uverse to 720p or 1080i, it wants to "clip" off the sides, and I can't read the sides of the guide or menu, yet the picture looks fine.

I just got a 42" vizio and am trying to figure out how to set up my uverse to work with it.

The problem is when I try setting the uverse to 720p or 1080i, it wants to "clip" off the sides, and I can't read the sides of the guide or menu, yet the picture looks fine.

HD gets "clipped"

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 6:43:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

How is the U-verse DVR/STB connected to the TV?

1) HDMI cable

2) Component cables (red, green, blue)

3) Composite cables (red, white, yellow)

4) Coaxial cable

Only the HDMI cable or component cable should be used for an HD picture.

How is the U-verse DVR/STB connected to the TV?

1) HDMI cable

2) Component cables (red, green, blue)

3) Composite cables (red, white, yellow)

4) Coaxial cable

Only the HDMI cable or component cable should be used for an HD picture.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Widescreen is stretched tall and hd gets "clipped"

2 of 12 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 6:45:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

It's just hooked up with a composite cable right now, as I did not have any component cables.

It's just hooked up with a composite cable right now, as I did not have any component cables.

3 of 12 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 6:46:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Composite cables will no work.  It will result in the behavior that you see.  You must use either an HDMI cable or component cables.

Composite cables will no work.  It will result in the behavior that you see.  You must use either an HDMI cable or component cables.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 6:50:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

Alright, that's what I was starting to think, but didn't know for sure. A silly question would be, since I have extra composites, can I hook them up as components, or is the cable somehow constructed differently?

Alright, that's what I was starting to think, but didn't know for sure. A silly question would be, since I have extra composites, can I hook them up as components, or is the cable somehow constructed differently?

5 of 12 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 6:50:49 PM
(0)
Expert

To get the full picture in 720p or 1080i mode, you must use Component cables (3x RCA, colored Red-Green-Blue, labeled Y-Pb-Pr), or you must use an HDMI cable.

If you need inexpensive cables, try Monoprice.com.

HDMI cable for $4.09.

3-connector Component cable for $2.74.

5-connector Component cable for $5.14.  (Also carries audio).

To get the full picture in 720p or 1080i mode, you must use Component cables (3x RCA, colored Red-Green-Blue, labeled Y-Pb-Pr), or you must use an HDMI cable.

If you need inexpensive cables, try Monoprice.com.

HDMI cable for $4.09.

3-connector Component cable for $2.74.

5-connector Component cable for $5.14.  (Also carries audio).

6 of 12 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 6:54:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

VooDooCC wrote:

Composite cables deliver an analog signal as opposed to an HD signal; therefore, you cannot used them with an HDTV if you wish to see an HD picture.

VooDooCC wrote:

Composite cables deliver an analog signal as opposed to an HD signal; therefore, you cannot used them with an HDTV if you wish to see an HD picture.

7 of 12 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 6:59:04 PM
(0)
Tutor

Alright, thanks to both of you. This thread can be locked now.

I will most likely end up using the link provided by somejoe.

Alright, thanks to both of you. This thread can be locked now.

I will most likely end up using the link provided by somejoe.

8 of 12 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 8:20:10 PM
(0)
Guru

texasguy37 wrote:

VooDooCC wrote:

Nonono.  The cables are almost identical -- other than coloring of the ends and, often, the gauge of the wire.

So to answer the original poster...yes, if you have some composite cables lying around, you can connect them to the Component Video output of the U-Verse set-top box and the Component Video input of the TV.  Just make sure you keep straight which cable is which, since they won't match the colors on the jacks.

I personally don't do this because I've got boxes of cables of all kinds, and because a set of cables from monoprice is just a few bucks.  But in a pinch, I've done this and it works just fine.

texasguy37 wrote:

VooDooCC wrote:

Nonono.  The cables are almost identical -- other than coloring of the ends and, often, the gauge of the wire.

So to answer the original poster...yes, if you have some composite cables lying around, you can connect them to the Component Video output of the U-Verse set-top box and the Component Video input of the TV.  Just make sure you keep straight which cable is which, since they won't match the colors on the jacks.

I personally don't do this because I've got boxes of cables of all kinds, and because a set of cables from monoprice is just a few bucks.  But in a pinch, I've done this and it works just fine.

9 of 12 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 8, 2010 11:55:18 PM
(0)
Guru

Cheer is right, the makeup the cables are exactly the same, the only difference between composite and component is the color of the tips and sometimes the guage of the wire (I have seen component cables in the same guage as composite a couple times before), I have used Composite cables many times in the place of Component cables, never noticed a difference

@texasguy37-That doesn't make any sense, HD and digital are not the same thing

You are right that Composite cables transmit an analog signal, but so do Component cables, and Component cables are compatible with HD

The Composite connection itself does not support HD, but Composite and Component cables are completely identical, they are both stranded copper wires with an RCA connection on each end, the colors are just to prevent a connection to the wrong jack

Cheer is right, the makeup the cables are exactly the same, the only difference between composite and component is the color of the tips and sometimes the guage of the wire (I have seen component cables in the same guage as composite a couple times before), I have used Composite cables many times in the place of Component cables, never noticed a difference

You are right that Composite cables transmit an analog signal, but so do Component cables, and Component cables are compatible with HD

The Composite connection itself does not support HD, but Composite and Component cables are completely identical, they are both stranded copper wires with an RCA connection on each end, the colors are just to prevent a connection to the wrong jack

10 of 12 (618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2010 12:13:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

mikedamirault wrote:

I never said that HD and digital were the same thing.

mikedamirault wrote:

11 of 12 (125 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 9, 2010 3:10:07 PM
(0)
Guru

texasguy37 wrote:

mikedamirault wrote:

What you said was, "Composite cables deliver an analog signal as opposed to an HD signal."  Which implies that analog and HD are two different things.

In truth, SD can be analog or digital, as can HD.

texasguy37 wrote:

mikedamirault wrote:

What you said was, "Composite cables deliver an analog signal as opposed to an HD signal."  Which implies that analog and HD are two different things.

In truth, SD can be analog or digital, as can HD.

12 of 12 (125 Views)