HD Channel LAG!!

Teacher

HD Channel LAG!!

So I just got Uverse installed and everything is working on point except the HD channels.  When I am channel surfing thru SD channels there is no problem but once I get to the HD channels it becomes very slow.  Every HD channel I select the TV screen goes black or very distorted for at least 60 seconds often longer.  After the at least minute wait the HD channel loads up perfectly and works great until I change the channel.  Again this only happens with the HD channels, every HD channel.  Has anyone experienced this problem?  I have only had uverse for 2 days and really like it but no way am I going to pay for this to continue.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Message 1 of 29 (1,979 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

Re: HD Channel LAG!!

Based on what you say the signal is coming from the NID on your old phone wires into the cat 5.

The problem should be upstream of the RG (i,e, your phone wires, the NID, the drop, the cables from the VRAD, the port in the VRAD).

You need AT&T to fix it.

I believe the reason the guide still showed on the disconnected tv is that it was in the memory.

The reason I wanted you to disconnect the coax was to see if the connected box became ok. You did reboot the RG and the STB with the coax disconnected??

The people that understand the output of the PC program are on the other forum. You should post your pictures there. Pictures do no show up until the moderator approves them.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 29 (1,839 Views)
Guru

We'll take a look at the images once the moderator approves your images.

Message 17 of 29 (1,839 Views)
ACE - Expert

I have seen posts where people that are close to the VRAD have too powerful of a signal & AT&T has to add attenuation. Maybe you need to ask them to try that.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 29 (1,839 Views)
ACE - Expert

aviewer wrote:

I have seen posts where people that are close to the VRAD have too powerful of a signal & AT&T has to add attenuation. Maybe you need to ask them to try that.

That's if you're close, not the 1300', the OP is at.  I'm at 400' and have no too strong signal problems. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 19 of 29 (1,839 Views)
ACE - Expert

The screenshots show nothing wrong, a very good bitload.  The problem is in the time it's taking the request for the channel, at the VRAD or VHO.

I'd do a hard reboot of the RG by unplugging power for 30 seconds and plug back in the RG.  Let us know if this worked for you, good luck. :smileywink:

Chris

Message 20 of 29 (1,839 Views)
Teacher

So last night I up-ed my internet speed from 3 mbps to 12 mbps and when I woke up this morning all the HD channels were working just fine! 

Now comes the fun part of explaining to uverse that I am not paying for this price difference since their programming will not work properly with the slower speed, wish me luck and thanks for all the assistance!!

Message 21 of 29 (2,164 Views)
Expert

james_eastfield wrote:

So last night I up-ed my internet speed from 3 mbps to 12 mbps and when I woke up this morning all the HD channels were working just fine! 

Now comes the fun part of explaining to uverse that I am not paying for this price difference since their programming will not work properly with the slower speed, wish me luck and thanks for all the assistance!! 

That information is not correct.  There is no relationship between your internet package and the speed at which the HD channels change.

Message 22 of 29 (2,164 Views)
Teacher

Hey man it doesn't make any sense to me either, but every HD channel I have would take anywhere from 60-120 seconds before I would get a picture on my screen yesterday.  I went online and upgraded the internet speed from 3 to 12 last night and when I woke up this morning all the HD channels work perfectly fine...what else would it be??

That being said that was this morning lets hope its still working once I get home from work...

Message 23 of 29 (2,164 Views)
Expert

As I said, there is not relationship between which internet package you subscribe to and the speed at which the HD channels change.  Something else would be causing your slow channel change.

Message 24 of 29 (2,164 Views)
Teacher

Do you think internet speed would affect On Demand?

Yesterday when I would watch On Demand it would play for like 5 seconds, lock up for 5 seconds, play for 5 seconds and so on.  If I would pause it for a minute then it would play for about a minute before it froze again.  Exactly the way a online video would perform with a slow connection and exactly the way the HD channels seemed to buffer before showing up on the screen...

Message 25 of 29 (2,164 Views)
ACE - Expert

No, your internet speed has nothing to do w/On Demand or regular programming.  The only thing affecting it possibly is your profile, 19/2, 25/2 or 32/5. :smileywink:

Chris

Message 26 of 29 (2,164 Views)
Expert

james_eastfield wrote:

Do you think internet speed would affect On Demand?

Yesterday when I would watch On Demand it would play for like 5 seconds, lock up for 5 seconds, play for 5 seconds and so on.  If I would pause it for a minute then it would play for about a minute before it froze again.  Exactly the way a online video would perform with a slow connection and exactly the way the HD channels seemed to buffer before showing up on the screen... 

No, your U-verse internet package has no affect.  Internet service is not even required in order to have U-verse TV.

Message 27 of 29 (2,164 Views)
Teacher

Well whatever is was I increased my internet speed and now everything is working great.

Problem solved!

Message 28 of 29 (2,164 Views)
Expert

My wild guess here is that your box was sent an incorrect / improper / corrupted provisioning setup when your service was first installed that was causing these problems.

By changing your package, the computers at AT&T re-sent the provisioning commands to all your equipment, and they received a proper provisioning setup this time.  So now it's working properly.

My hunch is that if you subsequently downgraded your internet speed back to 3 Mbps, everything would still work properly.

Message 29 of 29 (2,164 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.