Ask a question

Posted Dec 22, 2010
    5:24:24 PM
    View profile
    Gigabit switch

I would like to know if any gigabit switch should work with Uverse.  Amazon.com has a 5 port Medalink gigabit switch for $19.99.  I would like to know if this should work as well as the more expensive switches.  I just cant affort to pay what some of these other switches are selling, however i dont want to waste my money either.

Chuck

Gigabit switch

18 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (18)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 22, 2010 10:29:05 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

You shouldn't have any problems with a gigabit switch, it is a bit overkill since the Uverse equipment is designed for standard Ethernet. I have heard that at&t techs have been giving out gigabit switches to customers during installs...

Re: Gigabit switch

2 of 19 (3,435 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 23, 2010 7:28:33 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

The reason that i asked about the gigabit switch is i was told that the only switch that would work was a gigabit switch.  I have a 10/100 Linksys switch that i have tried to hook up and have not had any luck with it.  When the installer hooked me up to Uverse he use my ethernet cables to set everything up instead of the coax cables.  At this point i am taking the ethernet cable from the stb and using it with my xbox 360. It works ok like that only i have to keep switching the cable.  I really appreciate your help.

3 of 19 (3,382 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 23, 2010 12:05:45 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

I'm using my own 10/100 linksys switches on my Ethernet U-verse network and I am not having any problems at all.  The U-verse signal for both TV and internet right now is no faster than 55 MBits, good enough for a 100 Mbit switch. That is why I say that a Gbit switch is overkill. I have run an Xbox, Uverse, and a computer all at the same time using 10/100 linksys switches without any problems.

BTW here is the gigabit switch that at&t techs apparently use for installs...

http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?LOSGId=accessoryBucket&q_sku=sku3950269

4 of 19 (3,336 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 23, 2010 1:30:12 PM
    (0)
    Expert

A switch does not have to be Gigabit, it can be Fast Ethernet (100Mbps), but it must:

• Support 802.1p priority queuing

• Must have enough processing power to not be overwhelmed by excessive multicast/broadcast traffic.  Many 100 Mbps switches do not meet this requirement, that is why Gigabit is often recommended even though the bandwidth isn't required.

5 of 19 (3,315 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 23, 2010 5:35:36 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

First off i want to thank everybody for their help.  The switch that i tried to use is a Linksys EZXS55W.  I tried to hook this switch up using the Uverse STB and my XBOx 360 and it is a no go.  Do you know if this one should work or not.  Again thanks for the help.

6 of 19 (3,281 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 23, 2010 7:24:24 PM
    (0)
    Expert

I don't believe the EZXS55W will have sufficient processing power.

The NetGear GS-105 and GS-108 switches are what the AT&T techs carry and they are known to work very well.

7 of 19 (3,251 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 23, 2010 8:16:20 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

chuckbuck wrote:

First off i want to thank everybody for their help.  The switch that i tried to use is a Linksys EZXS55W.  I tried to hook this switch up using the Uverse STB and my XBOx 360 and it is a no go.  Do you know if this one should work or not.  Again thanks for the help.

That is the exact switch that I am using and I have no issues at all. IMO these switches are pretty good quality, and are certainly higher end than the really cheap switches.

I think there may be another issue involved here that you are not considering. I think if you are having problems with that switch you may have problems with the gigabit switch too...

8 of 19 (3,234 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 23, 2010 8:54:48 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

What other issues could i be having?

9 of 19 (3,218 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 23, 2010 9:23:23 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

I'm sorry I don't know. All that I am saying is I don't think the problem is with the the Linksys switch, unless the switch itself is defective. If you have another switch handy, I suggest you try that first.

I have 5 linksys switches in my network before I even got U-verse, and the technicians that have analyzed my network didn't tell me that they were substandard, and I haven't had any major issues with my U-verse service.

Also since you are having technical problems involving U-verse equipment, perhaps you should just call Uverse support, and they could come out diagnosis and fix your problem for free, and you may get the U-verse approved gigabit switches out of the deal.  

10 of 19 (3,208 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 24, 2010 5:48:09 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Guess I got lucky when I picked up a Dlink DSS-5+ for $4.00 at a Goodwill store! Thrift stores are a great place to find little items like this Smiley Wink Picked up an old Sony Playstation for $1.00 that works perfect after a good cleaning and a chip install Smiley Wink

11 of 19 (2,544 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 24, 2010 8:31:06 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

LP  Since this is the same switch that you are using without any problems, maybe i hooked I didnt hook it up correctly.  I took that cable that was plugged into the STB and plugged it into the port that said uplink.  Then i took two cables and plugged each end into the ports on the switch and plugged one cable into the STB and the other into XBOX 360.  That should about do it I would think.

12 of 19 (2,525 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 24, 2010 10:39:13 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

chuckbuck wrote:

LP  Since this is the same switch that you are using without any problems, maybe i hooked I didnt hook it up correctly.  I took that cable that was plugged into the STB and plugged it into the port that said uplink.  Then i took two cables and plugged each end into the ports on the switch and plugged one cable into the STB and the other into XBOX 360.  That should about do it I would think.

Your configuation sounds correct. I had a computer, Xbox, and STB hooked into the same switch without any problems. 

You should try plugging the cables without using the uplink port and see if your results improve, if you are still having problems I sugesst you try another switch because the one you have may be defective...

13 of 19 (2,506 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 24, 2010 12:18:41 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Thanks for your help.  I will try it again tomorrow as i am at work right now.  I will report back what happens.

14 of 19 (2,487 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 25, 2010 6:55:53 AM
    (0)
    Scholar

Well, what can i say.  I hooked everything back up this morning and guess what everything worked like it was suppose to.  Uverse works ok and my xbox 360 works just fine.  I just dont know what i did wrong before, as far as i know everything is hooked up the same way.  At least another problem is solved.  Just cancel my order with Amazon for the gigabit switches.  That will save me a few bucks.  You all have a Merry Christmas and thanks again for the help.

15 of 19 (2,448 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 25, 2010 10:22:54 AM
    (0)
    Expert

Remember that many switches that have an uplink port actually "share" that port with another non-uplink port.  For example, on many 5-port switches, the 5th port and the uplink port use shared internal circuitry.  This means that you can't simultaneously use port 5 and the uplink port -- you can use one or the other.

So if you use the uplink port, put nothing in port 5 if your switch is of this design.

16 of 19 (2,433 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 25, 2010 12:31:32 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

I dont remember what ports i used last time.  This time i am using ports one and two for Uverse and my xbox 360.  Everything is working, i guess that is all that counts.  Now if i could just find another switch cheap.

17 of 19 (2,424 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 25, 2010 1:11:40 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    Edited by RobertWillis on Dec 25, 2010 at 1:19:15 PM

I am using a Dell PowerConnect 2816 16 Port Gigibit Ethetnet Switch that has a web based management inteface. I have all of my AT&T STB's connected and my SONOS wireless music distribution system. The switch support STP, RSTP (Spanning Tree and Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol) which is required by the SONOS. It also support the UVERSE requirements. The PowerConnect 2816 does not have a fan and typically be purchased for less that $200.00 US from DELL. This was one of the least expensive 16 port web based managed switched that I could find at the time.

They also have a PowerConnect 2808 (8 Port Switch) for $100.00 US

[ Edited ]
    18 of 19 (2,415 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Dec 27, 2010 9:31:05 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Sorry if this was obvious to you already but make sure you're not confusing the crossover port on your switch, sometimes it's labeled MDI/MDIX etc. It's there for when you connect ubs or switches to each other, the new devices handle the orange-green reversal automatically (t568a/b if you want to be technical) but if you're not sure if a 1000mb switch would work where a 100mb should, you may also be trying to plug into a crossover port without pushing the little button. just a thought.

19 of 19 (2,369 Views)