Gateway Firewall Configuration Help

Tutor

Gateway Firewall Configuration Help

I am going crazy trying to setup firewall to allow traffic through.

Equipment:

3800HGV-B Gateway Software:  5.29.105.94

Mac Min on Wireless

VMWare Ubuntu VM image

Dyndns service

Scenario:

I have VMware Fusion running on my mac mini.  I have Ubuntu linux server running in the VMware Fusion instance.  I had this setup working with Comcast before I switched to U-Verse.  Now I am trying to get this to work in U-Verse environment.

1. Go to the http://gateway.2wire.net

- Select Firewall

- Select Firewall Settings

- Select my Ubuntu IP addess from drop down

- Select applications that I want throught the firewall, SSH and Web Server.

- click done button.

- click Firewall summary and verify device and services are listed.

2. Update Dyndns with Public IP address.

- get public IP Address from the Broadband Summary from the Gateway.

- Update dynnds with Public IP

3. Test Connectivity

- SSH on U-Verse Network with private IP, 192.168....

- HTTP on U-Verson Network with Private IP

- SSH on U-Verse Network with Public IP (FAIL)

- HTTP on U-Verse network with Public IP (FAIL)

- SSH on external network with Public IP (FAIL)

- HTTP on external network with Public IP (FAIL)

- Noticed in the Home Network Summary the Ubuntu VM Device is show as "inactive"

- Verified that Ubuntu VM can connect to the network and internet.  In additon, I could still connect from U-Verse netowrk via SSH.  Gateway still says it is inactive.

Message 1 of 4 (1,286 Views)
Tutor

Re: Gateway Firewall Configuration Help

Update.  I installed Apache Web Server on my laptop and tested the firewall configuration and it works.  Just can get it to see a VMWare image that has been bridged to the network.  The VM Has it own IP, but the gateway does not show it as active for more than 1 minute.  Technically speaking I guess my mac mini has TWO IPs on one MAC Address and I think I saw something about this not being supported via the gateway.
Message 2 of 4 (1,286 Views)
Tutor

*** Update ***

I followed these instructions, http://communities.vmware.com/message/1106124 to port forward my mac mini to a NAT'ed VMWare Fusion Virtual Machine running on the Mac Mini.  I have abandoned the bridged network configuration for now since this works.

Message 3 of 4 (1,286 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

The U-Verse RG does not allow multihomed machines.  Each individual IP address must also have a unique MAC address.

This is what's wrong with the VMware Fusion config -- the VM has a different IP but the same MAC address as the host, which will not work with the U-Verse RG.

Reconfigure VMware Fusion to use separate MAC addresses for the host and the guest OS and it will work properly.

Message 4 of 4 (1,286 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.