Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 29, 2010
9:16:23 AM
Frustrating.. all IPs between 99.70.80.* and 99.70.87.* are unreachable

I have 5 static IPs.  They are in this block of 2048 IPs that the AT&T Network Operations Center is currently not routing correctly.  And AT&T Tier 2 support thinks this is a problem with my DSL home router....

For the last several hours, if I tracert to any of these 2048 IPs from outside of the AT&T network, the packet will start looping between the machines at IPs 151.164.98.90 and 151.164.98.89.  A ping to any IP from 99.70.80.* through 99.70.87.*  results in a "TTL expired in transit" at 151.164.98.90 or 151.164.98.89.

There is obviously a routing problem on one of these 2 machines 151.164.98.90 or 151.164.98.89, .  These 2 machines  are registered to SBC.  They are somewhere in the AT&T Network Operations Center.

When I called AT&T technical support (from work) to let them know that 2 of their machines in their Network Operations Center have stopped routing to 2048 of their customer's IPs.  They elevated me to Tier 2 support, and then insisted that I would have to be at home and reboot my DSL router before they could fix their problem...

Amazingly frustrating....

I have 5 static IPs.  They are in this block of 2048 IPs that the AT&T Network Operations Center is currently not routing correctly.  And AT&T Tier 2 support thinks this is a problem with my DSL home router....

For the last several hours, if I tracert to any of these 2048 IPs from outside of the AT&T network, the packet will start looping between the machines at IPs 151.164.98.90 and 151.164.98.89.  A ping to any IP from 99.70.80.* through 99.70.87.*  results in a "TTL expired in transit" at 151.164.98.90 or 151.164.98.89.

There is obviously a routing problem on one of these 2 machines 151.164.98.90 or 151.164.98.89, .  These 2 machines  are registered to SBC.  They are somewhere in the AT&T Network Operations Center.

When I called AT&T technical support (from work) to let them know that 2 of their machines in their Network Operations Center have stopped routing to 2048 of their customer's IPs.  They elevated me to Tier 2 support, and then insisted that I would have to be at home and reboot my DSL router before they could fix their problem...

Amazingly frustrating....

Frustrating.. all IPs between 99.70.80.* and 99.70.87.* are unreachable

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 11:15:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

My 5 static IPs are within the same block and I am experiencing the same issue.  Packets routed from my office network to my home network get cought in an infinite loop between 151.164.98.90 and .89.

Since I am at work, I haven't spent a lot of time dealing with this issue yet; I had planned to spend some time with tech support on the phone when I returned home tonight.

However, I did have a quick chat with the Level 1 tech support about the issue and gave them the technical details to relay to the network operations team.  Although the Level 1 tech support did not understand (or was unwilling to acknowledge that they understood) the details of the problem, I think they recognized that it wasn't a problem with my router or my computers.  It is definitely a routing issue within the AT&T network.

I just took a break to check these forums and I am relieved to see that there are other customers affected, meaning that a resolution is problem going to be expedited.

I am guessing that somehow the right people have heard about the issue because a constant ping that I had up to my home server recently (within the last 30 minutes) switched from

Reply from 151.164.98.89: TTL expired in transit.

to

Request timed out.

I am guessing that they are working on the issue presently.

All told, though, it is frustrating that there isn't a more direct channel to at least send one-way communiques to the AT&T NOC.  I don't really care if they don't want to have a full dialog with me.  It would be nice if they accepted inbound communications from technical users and provided a blog or some outbound channel to give technically-savvy users at least some transparency into the happenings behind the scenes.

As I said in some feedback on the U-Verse tech support site: network outages happen.  I'm not going to be unreasonable and demand an error-free network.  What I'd like is some ability to send a note to the network operations team and see some acknowledgement from them that they are working on the issue.  I understand it's not always easy to fix these things.  But acting like they don't exist just angers savvy customers.

... and as I write this, the ping has come alive!  I think we're good now.

My 5 static IPs are within the same block and I am experiencing the same issue.  Packets routed from my office network to my home network get cought in an infinite loop between 151.164.98.90 and .89.

Since I am at work, I haven't spent a lot of time dealing with this issue yet; I had planned to spend some time with tech support on the phone when I returned home tonight.

However, I did have a quick chat with the Level 1 tech support about the issue and gave them the technical details to relay to the network operations team.  Although the Level 1 tech support did not understand (or was unwilling to acknowledge that they understood) the details of the problem, I think they recognized that it wasn't a problem with my router or my computers.  It is definitely a routing issue within the AT&T network.

I just took a break to check these forums and I am relieved to see that there are other customers affected, meaning that a resolution is problem going to be expedited.

I am guessing that somehow the right people have heard about the issue because a constant ping that I had up to my home server recently (within the last 30 minutes) switched from

Reply from 151.164.98.89: TTL expired in transit.

to

Request timed out.

I am guessing that they are working on the issue presently.

All told, though, it is frustrating that there isn't a more direct channel to at least send one-way communiques to the AT&T NOC.  I don't really care if they don't want to have a full dialog with me.  It would be nice if they accepted inbound communications from technical users and provided a blog or some outbound channel to give technically-savvy users at least some transparency into the happenings behind the scenes.

As I said in some feedback on the U-Verse tech support site: network outages happen.  I'm not going to be unreasonable and demand an error-free network.  What I'd like is some ability to send a note to the network operations team and see some acknowledgement from them that they are working on the issue.  I understand it's not always easy to fix these things.  But acting like they don't exist just angers savvy customers.

... and as I write this, the ping has come alive!  I think we're good now.

Re: Frustrating.. all IPs between 99.70.80.* and 99.70.87.* are unreachable

2 of 4 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 12:31:25 PM
(0)
Tutor

It appears to have been fixed...  But I agree, someplace where we can feel like we are presenting the data to people that understand the problem would be great.  I sent a couple of email messages to the NOC email addresses that they have listed with ARIN, and they bounced...

The last time I had issues (other than improperly provisioned static IPs, believe me, that is a nightmare to get corrected), it was with a machine in their NOC that was slowly going bad...  At first about every 10 seconds or so, it would drop packets for about 1/2 second.  A real pain for UDP packets...  I reported the IP that was dropping the packets, but it took weeks, until the frequency got down to around 1/2 second out of every 3 seconds, before the problem was fixed (or I suspect before it was even looked in too...).

I'm just glad its back...   I am expecting the connection to be much better now..  Over the last few days, it has been getting worse and worse...  Several times, in the last few days, I have been through all the machines in the house to see if one of them was doing something to abuse the network...

It appears to have been fixed...  But I agree, someplace where we can feel like we are presenting the data to people that understand the problem would be great.  I sent a couple of email messages to the NOC email addresses that they have listed with ARIN, and they bounced...

The last time I had issues (other than improperly provisioned static IPs, believe me, that is a nightmare to get corrected), it was with a machine in their NOC that was slowly going bad...  At first about every 10 seconds or so, it would drop packets for about 1/2 second.  A real pain for UDP packets...  I reported the IP that was dropping the packets, but it took weeks, until the frequency got down to around 1/2 second out of every 3 seconds, before the problem was fixed (or I suspect before it was even looked in too...).

I'm just glad its back...   I am expecting the connection to be much better now..  Over the last few days, it has been getting worse and worse...  Several times, in the last few days, I have been through all the machines in the house to see if one of them was doing something to abuse the network...

3 of 4 (195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2010 7:37:20 PM
(0)
Contributor

Uh oh... revenge of the routing issue?

Uh oh... revenge of the routing issue?

4 of 4 (195 Views)