Posted Nov 3, 2008
1:47:10 PM
View profile
Fax to email machine doesn't work with Yahoo mail. Anyone know of a 'workaround'?
Sharp UXB800SE broadband fax and fax to email machine.   The 'fax to email' won't work with Yahoo mail.   Sharp technical support knows Yahoo doesn't allow it and Yahoo says they don't allow it.   Anyone know of a way to get around the problem.  The 'fax to email' quality is much better and quicker than my Epson scanner.
Sharp UXB800SE broadband fax and fax to email machine.   The 'fax to email' won't work with Yahoo mail.   Sharp technical support knows Yahoo doesn't allow it and Yahoo says they don't allow it.   Anyone know of a way to get around the problem.  The 'fax to email' quality is much better and quicker than my Epson scanner.

Fax to email machine doesn't work with Yahoo mail. Anyone know of a 'workaround'?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2008 11:30:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

Why don't you try 101Fax. I use it to send my faxes using my laptop. I actually could send faxes via email also - both gmail or yahoo - works pretty well. On days when I'm in a rush though, I resort to their online control panel which I find extremely convenient and easier to use when sending (or even receiving) faxes.  (you could go to their site at www.101fax.com to see if it suits your needs.)

Why don't you try 101Fax. I use it to send my faxes using my laptop. I actually could send faxes via email also - both gmail or yahoo - works pretty well. On days when I'm in a rush though, I resort to their online control panel which I find extremely convenient and easier to use when sending (or even receiving) faxes.  (you could go to their site at www.101fax.com to see if it suits your needs.)

Re: Fax to email machine doesn't work with Yahoo mail. Anyone know of a 'workaround'?

2 of 11 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2008 6:28:28 AM
(0)
Guru

I have the same fax machine, and it doesn't work for me either..I thought it was me, but, its "good" to see its not MY fault!!

I have the same fax machine, and it doesn't work for me either..I thought it was me, but, its "good" to see its not MY fault!!

Re: Fax to email machine doesn't work with Yahoo mail. Anyone know of a 'workaround'?

3 of 11 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2008 6:49:30 AM
(0)
Master
doesn't work with SMTP authentication

This idea a real killer...
but the UX-B800SE is a partial failure.

Purchased one but returned it the 2nd day.

If your internet/email provider needs the SMTP authentication before sending out email, such as AT&T Yahoo!DSL and many of the major email service providers, you are stuck, period. There's no workaround.

http://www.pricespider.com/product-reviews/399314/Sharp-UX-B800SE-UX-B800SE---fax---copier-Review-UX...

his take   dunno  

found this >>>>>>>>  

Excellent Fax Machine Once Get It Working

Customer Rating: Average rating of 5/5Average rating of 5/5Average rating of 5/5Average rating of 5/5Average rating of 5/5
It works like wonder. Operation of sending to email address could not be simpler. Fax is fast, smooth, and clear. The advantages of getting fax in email are numerous. Green to earth, no need to speed money on ink cartridge, eliminates clusters, etc.

The only catch is that you have to get it working, which needs a work around if email provider requires authentication.

After a few hours of goggling and a few lines of python, I got it working with my yahoo mail. The solution is to run a SMTP relay as listener for the fax machine, which then sends out the fax (email) out to email provider after adding SMTP AUTH.

It is very convenient once it is working. Besides, it is just cool.

also toms hardware  review
Message Edited by randyl on 11-06-2008 09:05 AM
doesn't work with SMTP authentication

This idea a real killer...
but the UX-B800SE is a partial failure.

Purchased one but returned it the 2nd day.

If your internet/email provider needs the SMTP authentication before sending out email, such as AT&T Yahoo!DSL and many of the major email service providers, you are stuck, period. There's no workaround.

http://www.pricespider.com/product-reviews/399314/Sharp-UX-B800SE-UX-B800SE---fax---copier-Review-UXB800SE.html

his take   dunno  

found this >>>>>>>>  

Excellent Fax Machine Once Get It Working

Customer Rating: Average rating of 5/5Average rating of 5/5Average rating of 5/5Average rating of 5/5Average rating of 5/5
It works like wonder. Operation of sending to email address could not be simpler. Fax is fast, smooth, and clear. The advantages of getting fax in email are numerous. Green to earth, no need to speed money on ink cartridge, eliminates clusters, etc.

The only catch is that you have to get it working, which needs a work around if email provider requires authentication.

After a few hours of goggling and a few lines of python, I got it working with my yahoo mail. The solution is to run a SMTP relay as listener for the fax machine, which then sends out the fax (email) out to email provider after adding SMTP AUTH.

It is very convenient once it is working. Besides, it is just cool.

also toms hardware  review
Message Edited by randyl on 11-06-2008 09:05 AM

4 of 11 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2008 6:52:41 AM
(0)
Guru
Well, it worked fine for me for a long time when I was on comcast, but, wont work with uverse..
Well, it worked fine for me for a long time when I was on comcast, but, wont work with uverse..

5 of 11 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2008 5:36:33 PM
(0)
Guru

Actually there is a workaround - I do this at the office I work for, so their fax/copier can send emails.

Run a local SMTP server that's configured to relay messages via authenticated SMTP.   Then, set the fax machine to use your local machine as the SMTP server.  The SMTP server will accept the message and forward it out to Yahoo with authentication.

It doesn't need to be anything fancy - it doesn't have to even receive mail from the outside.   I do it with Linux (postfix "relayhost" option), but there's lots of Windows based email servers that can do the same thing (MDaemon, for one, there's probably much simpler solutions out there too).

-- Rob

Message Edited by djrobx on 11-06-2008 05:37 PM

Actually there is a workaround - I do this at the office I work for, so their fax/copier can send emails.

Run a local SMTP server that's configured to relay messages via authenticated SMTP.   Then, set the fax machine to use your local machine as the SMTP server.  The SMTP server will accept the message and forward it out to Yahoo with authentication.

It doesn't need to be anything fancy - it doesn't have to even receive mail from the outside.   I do it with Linux (postfix "relayhost" option), but there's lots of Windows based email servers that can do the same thing (MDaemon, for one, there's probably much simpler solutions out there too).

-- Rob

6 of 11 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2008 11:50:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yahoo always have this kind of problem, not receiving fax to email messages. It also happened when I use my Yahoo email on my Onesuite Fax account. I had to register my hotmail so if ever Yahoo didn't get it then my Hotmail will.

Message Edited by Jvinz on 12-04-2008 11:54 PM

Yahoo always have this kind of problem, not receiving fax to email messages. It also happened when I use my Yahoo email on my Onesuite Fax account. I had to register my hotmail so if ever Yahoo didn't get it then my Hotmail will.

Message Edited by Jvinz on 12-04-2008 11:54 PM

7 of 11 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2008 1:14:09 AM
(0)
Mentor

djrobx wrote:

-- Rob

I tried this for my "Scan to Email" option on my fax machine and it worked just fine.  I used a Windows smtp program I got from download.com and it worked fine by relaying the messages to yahoo using my authentication and port assignments.

However, it's still a pain compared to my old ISP where it allowed all internal email relays, even un-authenticated ones.  I decided to just use my laptop now when I need to scan something, and connect it directly via usb to the fax machine.  It's not ideal, but it works and I don't have to pay for and run an smtp program.  Oh well.  I wish there was a free public smtp server that could relay messages using port 25 and not require authentication.  I know that's what spammers would use, but I just want to use for the odd "Fax to Email" ability.

djrobx wrote:

-- Rob

I tried this for my "Scan to Email" option on my fax machine and it worked just fine.  I used a Windows smtp program I got from download.com and it worked fine by relaying the messages to yahoo using my authentication and port assignments.

However, it's still a pain compared to my old ISP where it allowed all internal email relays, even un-authenticated ones.  I decided to just use my laptop now when I need to scan something, and connect it directly via usb to the fax machine.  It's not ideal, but it works and I don't have to pay for and run an smtp program.  Oh well.  I wish there was a free public smtp server that could relay messages using port 25 and not require authentication.  I know that's what spammers would use, but I just want to use for the odd "Fax to Email" ability.

8 of 11 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 1, 2009 8:55:35 AM
(0)
Tutor
try http://en.popfax.com it's pretty convenient, plus the rates are low as well http://en.popfax.com/Fax%20service%20tariffs.html, hope it'll help you:smileywink:
try http://en.popfax.com it's pretty convenient, plus the rates are low as well http://en.popfax.com/Fax%20service%20tariffs.html, hope it'll help you:smileywink:

9 of 11 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2009 9:36:35 PM
(0)
Contributor
Could you share what settings you used to set this up? I downloaded an SMTP program, but cannot figure out what settings to use. Do I leave the port at 25 or change it? What are the other parameters? I would really appreciate any info you could share.
Could you share what settings you used to set this up? I downloaded an SMTP program, but cannot figure out what settings to use. Do I leave the port at 25 or change it? What are the other parameters? I would really appreciate any info you could share.

10 of 11 (1,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
May 9, 2009 6:03:44 AM
(0)
Tutor

I just got this working for me. Here is the blog where I documented what I learned

learn from history: switching to AT&T uVerse

and a message in these forums that gives the settings

postfix mail server and mailman mailing list on ubuntu with uVerse - High Speed Internet Access - U-...

I am glad I found these forums, it was grim till I finally stumbled here.

Gary

I just got this working for me. Here is the blog where I documented what I learned

learn from history: switching to AT&T uVerse

and a message in these forums that gives the settings

postfix mail server and mailman mailing list on ubuntu with uVerse - High Speed Internet Access - U-talk Peer-to-Peer Forums

I am glad I found these forums, it was grim till I finally stumbled here.

Gary

11 of 11 (583 Views)