Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 12, 2011
7:31:04 PM
View profile
Extend Cat5 run to STB

I want to move one of my STB's to another room but the Cat5 run from the Gateway to the STB is not long enough.

Is it possible to extend the Cat5 run using a coupler similiar what you do with coax?

I want to move one of my STB's to another room but the Cat5 run from the Gateway to the STB is not long enough.

Is it possible to extend the Cat5 run using a coupler similiar what you do with coax?

Extend Cat5 run to STB

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2011 7:35:18 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Cat5e for Uverse should not use a coupler, get a correct length from monoprice here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Cat5e for Uverse should not use a coupler, get a correct length from monoprice here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Extend Cat5 run to STB

2 of 7 (413 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2011 8:06:09 PM
(0)
Scholar

OK thanks

OK thanks

3 of 7 (405 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 11:33:22 AM
(0)
Mentor

I've been using  a Cat5e connector for the STB in my back bedroom for 9 months without any issues. My cable run was about 10 feet short and I was not crawling back into my attic so I added a 10' cable with the connector. Just be sure the connector is Cat5e rated, not just Cat5.

I've been using  a Cat5e connector for the STB in my back bedroom for 9 months without any issues. My cable run was about 10 feet short and I was not crawling back into my attic so I added a 10' cable with the connector. Just be sure the connector is Cat5e rated, not just Cat5.

4 of 7 (362 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 12:11:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks but I have already ordered cable from Monoprice as Chris suggested.

Thanks but I have already ordered cable from Monoprice as Chris suggested.

5 of 7 (353 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 12:16:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

dgoddard1 wrote:

It may have worked, but not recommended for Uverse. Smiley Wink

Chris

dgoddard1 wrote:

It may have worked, but not recommended for Uverse. Smiley Wink

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

6 of 7 (349 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2011 1:18:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

YRMV

YRMV

7 of 7 (340 Views)