Helpful Links

Extend Cat5 run to STB

Scholar

Extend Cat5 run to STB

I want to move one of my STB's to another room but the Cat5 run from the Gateway to the STB is not long enough.

Is it possible to extend the Cat5 run using a coupler similiar what you do with coax?

Message 1 of 7
Expert

Re: Extend Cat5 run to STB

Cat5e for Uverse should not use a coupler, get a correct length from monoprice here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10208  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 2 of 7
Scholar

OK thanks

Message 3 of 7
Mentor

I've been using  a Cat5e connector for the STB in my back bedroom for 9 months without any issues. My cable run was about 10 feet short and I was not crawling back into my attic so I added a 10' cable with the connector. Just be sure the connector is Cat5e rated, not just Cat5.

Message 4 of 7
Scholar

Thanks but I have already ordered cable from Monoprice as Chris suggested.

Message 5 of 7
Expert

dgoddard1 wrote:

I've been using  a Cat5e connector for the STB in my back bedroom for 9 months without any issues. My cable run was about 10 feet short and I was not crawling back into my attic so I added a 10' cable with the connector. Just be sure the connector is Cat5e rated, not just Cat5.

It may have worked, but not recommended for Uverse. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 6 of 7
Highlighted
Expert

YRMV

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Additional Support