Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 3, 2010
9:04:30 AM
View profile
Elite Internet

So, I'm hard wired into my wireless router last night (less than 6 feet away), downloading & installing iTunes on my son's desktop and it took roughly 40 minutes for the 107Mb transaction to happen. This doesn't sound "Elite" to me?

So, I'm hard wired into my wireless router last night (less than 6 feet away), downloading & installing iTunes on my son's desktop and it took roughly 40 minutes for the 107Mb transaction to happen. This doesn't sound "Elite" to me?

Elite Internet

14 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(14)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 9:15:22 AM
(0)
Scholar

Keep in mind that internet is a two way street. Just because YOUR internet is fast, doesn't mean where you are downloading from has fast internet.

Now, granted, Apple should have some of the best servers in the business. But as those of us who tried to order an iPhone 4 on the first day found out, even the biggest companies can have server issues. Thus, Apple servers could have been getting hammered when you tried to download.

The best way to test your internet speed is www.speedtest.net

Keep in mind that internet is a two way street. Just because YOUR internet is fast, doesn't mean where you are downloading from has fast internet.

Now, granted, Apple should have some of the best servers in the business. But as those of us who tried to order an iPhone 4 on the first day found out, even the biggest companies can have server issues. Thus, Apple servers could have been getting hammered when you tried to download.

The best way to test your internet speed is www.speedtest.net

Re: Elite Internet

2 of 15 (1,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 9:21:48 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

christians wrote:

If you were 6' away, plug in an ethernet cable to the RG and it would've been must faster.  Uverse's wireless is not the best to begin with, but if you want it better see this thread:

http://utalk.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/194004 :smileywink:

Edit:  Doh, something's not quite right at 40 minutes, a download speed of 44.58 kbps, was this into a wireless router behind the  light/dark grey Uverse Residential Gateway?

That's what I get for going back/forth from TV/here. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

christians wrote:

If you were 6' away, plug in an ethernet cable to the RG and it would've been must faster.  Uverse's wireless is not the best to begin with, but if you want it better see this thread:

http://utalk.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/How-to-Minimize-Wireless-Interference/m-p/194004 :smileywink:

Edit:  Doh, something's not quite right at 40 minutes, a download speed of 44.58 kbps, was this into a wireless router behind the  light/dark grey Uverse Residential Gateway?

That's what I get for going back/forth from TV/here. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 15 (1,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 9:26:18 AM
(0)
Guru

mibrnsurg wrote:

christians wrote:

If you were 6' away, plug in an ethernet cable and it would've been must faster. 

Pretty sure he is.

mibrnsurg wrote:

christians wrote:

If you were 6' away, plug in an ethernet cable and it would've been must faster. 

Pretty sure he is.

4 of 15 (1,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 12:06:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

christians wrote:

Were other folks in your household watching TV (or the DVR recording) during that time frame?  Would that not throttle your bandwidth and speed?

christians wrote:

Were other folks in your household watching TV (or the DVR recording) during that time frame?  Would that not throttle your bandwidth and speed?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 15 (1,565 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 12:55:51 PM
(0)
Professor

dhascall wrote:

I was under the assumption that TV and internet "bandwidth" were of two different wavelengths.

As far as the original poster goes, I would do the following:

1) Unplug your modem.  Count to 30.  Plug it back in.

If that doesn't work:

2) Check for viruses and/or spyware on your computer.  Restart the computer immediately afterwords.

If that doesn't work:

3) Call troubleshooting.

The tricky thing is that with TV issues, it's probably a U-Verse thing.  However, "slow download speed on a computer" could also be a computer-related thing.

dhascall wrote:

I was under the assumption that TV and internet "bandwidth" were of two different wavelengths.

As far as the original poster goes, I would do the following:

1) Unplug your modem.  Count to 30.  Plug it back in.

If that doesn't work:

2) Check for viruses and/or spyware on your computer.  Restart the computer immediately afterwords.

If that doesn't work:

3) Call troubleshooting.

The tricky thing is that with TV issues, it's probably a U-Verse thing.  However, "slow download speed on a computer" could also be a computer-related thing.

6 of 15 (1,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 1:06:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

kryptonite wrote:

No, the bandwidth is shared for the U-verse services.  Bandwidth is allocated in the following priority:

1. U-verse voice

2. U-verse TV

3. U-verse internet

Thus, the number of TV streams in use may have an impact on the amount of bandwidth available for  U-verse internet.

kryptonite wrote:

No, the bandwidth is shared for the U-verse services.  Bandwidth is allocated in the following priority:

1. U-verse voice

2. U-verse TV

3. U-verse internet

Thus, the number of TV streams in use may have an impact on the amount of bandwidth available for  U-verse internet.

7 of 15 (1,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 1:09:02 PM
(0)
Guru

texasguy37 wrote:

kryptonite wrote:

1. U-verse voice

2. U-verse TV

3. U-verse internet

Even on the lowest profile, TV streams should not affect Internet speed on Elite.

texasguy37 wrote:

kryptonite wrote:

1. U-verse voice

2. U-verse TV

3. U-verse internet

Even on the lowest profile, TV streams should not affect Internet speed on Elite.

8 of 15 (1,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 1:21:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

cheer wrote:

Correct.  I wasn't stating that it would with the Elite.  I was simply responding to Kryptonite's comment, and that is why I stated "TV streams in use may have an impact on the amount of bandwidth available for  U-verse internet."

cheer wrote:

Correct.  I wasn't stating that it would with the Elite.  I was simply responding to Kryptonite's comment, and that is why I stated "TV streams in use may have an impact on the amount of bandwidth available for  U-verse internet."

9 of 15 (1,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2010 5:04:42 AM
(0)
Expert

I say in this case it's Apple.  I've never timed my downloads/updates, but have figured out that updates take so long because Apple uninstalls iTunes completely, then installs a newer version.  My shortcuts always become dead and I have to make new ones.  :smileymad:

I'm Elite as well, and iTunes program updates take forever!  My take, FWIW.

I say in this case it's Apple.  I've never timed my downloads/updates, but have figured out that updates take so long because Apple uninstalls iTunes completely, then installs a newer version.  My shortcuts always become dead and I have to make new ones.  :smileymad:

I'm Elite as well, and iTunes program updates take forever!  My take, FWIW.

10 of 15 (1,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2010 6:11:31 PM
(0)
Master

I have been using Mac's for awhile now and 40 mins is too long for that size file on elite as some have pointed out unless

another user in the house was online at the same time or their servers were overloaded and I only really seen this once

during iPhone ordering and it crashed AT&T's also. Run a speed test and post your numbers you may not be getting the

speed you are paying for. As for virus on a Mac nothing in the wild and you really would have to go out of your way to install it and every media source will have that as front page news if it ever happens they have been saying this for years

has not happened yet.

I have been using Mac's for awhile now and 40 mins is too long for that size file on elite as some have pointed out unless

another user in the house was online at the same time or their servers were overloaded and I only really seen this once

during iPhone ordering and it crashed AT&T's also. Run a speed test and post your numbers you may not be getting the

speed you are paying for. As for virus on a Mac nothing in the wild and you really would have to go out of your way to install it and every media source will have that as front page news if it ever happens they have been saying this for years

has not happened yet.

11 of 15 (893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 7:16:22 AM
(0)
Tutor

Honestly, I think using the speed of your download from any software vendor, for a metric of speed, is a bad idea. There is just too many "man in the middle" variables to account for.

If you attempt to download a new version of iTunes from Apple the day it's released (or near), you'll see slower speeds then if you had waited a few days/week. I know this, simply from experience (iOS Developer -- I'm constantly downloading new SDK/OS/iTunes updates from Apple). Same goes with other software they offer, Microsoft offers, you name it. A company can only allocate so much of their own bandwidth for a temporary new-release-will-drive-up-the-downloads before they have to reallocate the b/w back. (or pull the b/w from their contracted download provider).

I think you would be better off using something like http://www.speedtest.net/ as a metric to gauge your U-Verse internet speed. And like someone mentioned before, if you can use a direct connection over cat5/6 to the AT&T U-Verse switch in your house, not your wifi, your testing will be more accurate.

Honestly, I think using the speed of your download from any software vendor, for a metric of speed, is a bad idea. There is just too many "man in the middle" variables to account for.

If you attempt to download a new version of iTunes from Apple the day it's released (or near), you'll see slower speeds then if you had waited a few days/week. I know this, simply from experience (iOS Developer -- I'm constantly downloading new SDK/OS/iTunes updates from Apple). Same goes with other software they offer, Microsoft offers, you name it. A company can only allocate so much of their own bandwidth for a temporary new-release-will-drive-up-the-downloads before they have to reallocate the b/w back. (or pull the b/w from their contracted download provider).

I think you would be better off using something like http://www.speedtest.net/ as a metric to gauge your U-Verse internet speed. And like someone mentioned before, if you can use a direct connection over cat5/6 to the AT&T U-Verse switch in your house, not your wifi, your testing will be more accurate.

12 of 15 (893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 18, 2010 7:44:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

You can also use www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

You can also use www.speakeasy.net/speedtest

13 of 15 (893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2010 7:12:45 AM
(0)
Master

Strangely enough, AT&T's own speed-test site, has been unavailable for at least 30 days.

This is from the help & support site:

Is there a High Speed Internet speed test available?

The AT&T High Speed Internet Speed Test is currently under construction. A new and improved AT&T Speed Test will be available in the near future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

Strangely enough, AT&T's own speed-test site, has been unavailable for at least 30 days.

This is from the help & support site:

Is there a High Speed Internet speed test available?

The AT&T High Speed Internet Speed Test is currently under construction. A new and improved AT&T Speed Test will be available in the near future.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

neon_sign.jpg

14 of 15 (893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2010 8:36:04 AM
(0)
Master

fwiw

been down  , they need a re-direct

fwiw