Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 24, 2007
4:11:21 AM
View profile
Dynamic or static IP?
I know I used to have a dynamic IP eith my old DSL.

Can someone tell me if it is now static or dynamic and where exactly can I look to find that information?

Thanks!

Can someone tell me if it is now static or dynamic and where exactly can I look to find that information?

Thanks!

Dynamic or static IP?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2007 4:43:46 AM
(0)
Expert
It is probably still dynamic; I have mine as (pseudo) static, but only in assigning an IP from within ATT/SBC's pool of IPs.   The DHCP kept assigning IPs beginning with .68 or .69 (I forget); and Win. would show me connected, but I could not access anything.

A quick way is to click on the Internet connection icon in your Sys Tray, look at the Support tab, and if the Address Type says DHCP, then it would be dynamic.  Mine shows Manually Configured (as I set it to something in the 198.168.1.xx pool).

And if I have this all backwards, I'm sure I will be corrected. :smileywink:

Pip wrote:

Thanks!

It is probably still dynamic; I have mine as (pseudo) static, but only in assigning an IP from within ATT/SBC's pool of IPs.   The DHCP kept assigning IPs beginning with .68 or .69 (I forget); and Win. would show me connected, but I could not access anything.

A quick way is to click on the Internet connection icon in your Sys Tray, look at the Support tab, and if the Address Type says DHCP, then it would be dynamic.  Mine shows Manually Configured (as I set it to something in the 198.168.1.xx pool).

And if I have this all backwards, I'm sure I will be corrected. :smileywink:

Pip wrote:

Thanks!

Re: Dynamic or static IP?

2 of 11 (9,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2007 7:37:18 AM
(0)
Professor
It is a dynamic IP from the DSLAM to your RG, but it only seems to change if they change your RG.  You can do anything to the RG, power cycle, factory default it, or anything you want, but it will still keep the same IP.
It is a dynamic IP from the DSLAM to your RG, but it only seems to change if they change your RG.  You can do anything to the RG, power cycle, factory default it, or anything you want, but it will still keep the same IP.

3 of 11 (9,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2007 8:59:31 AM
(0)
Master
Okay, I just added the icon to my tray and I see in the info it is DHCP.

So, I am wondering this now. It says in the details the lease expires tomorrow at 11:53AM, so when I reboot after that, will the IP then change or does it stay the same?

On the old DSL, every time I rebooted or booted up, the IP would change, but it doesn't with this setup, kind of like what KK said.

I always thought a dynamic IP would change whereas a static IP would stay the same. This almost sounds like it is static and when I did a reboot just now, the IP stayed the same.

I am guessing, this is different from the way it was with the old DSL?
Okay, I just added the icon to my tray and I see in the info it is DHCP.

So, I am wondering this now. It says in the details the lease expires tomorrow at 11:53AM, so when I reboot after that, will the IP then change or does it stay the same?

On the old DSL, every time I rebooted or booted up, the IP would change, but it doesn't with this setup, kind of like what KK said.

I always thought a dynamic IP would change whereas a static IP would stay the same. This almost sounds like it is static and when I did a reboot just now, the IP stayed the same.

I am guessing, this is different from the way it was with the old DSL?

4 of 11 (9,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2007 9:54:30 AM
(0)
Professor
The function of a router is to connect two or more different networks together.  Your RG is the router that connects your internal LAN to the external/internet WAN. When talking about a static or dynamic IP on DSL, the refrence is to the external/internet side of your router.

For the most part, you can configure your internal network to use dynamic or static addressing and that is what you're observing in the system tray on your PC.  We cannot manage the external IP and we're all set up in a dynamic pool, though the lease time on the address seems to be infinite.

The function of a router is to connect two or more different networks together.  Your RG is the router that connects your internal LAN to the external/internet WAN. When talking about a static or dynamic IP on DSL, the refrence is to the external/internet side of your router.

For the most part, you can configure your internal network to use dynamic or static addressing and that is what you're observing in the system tray on your PC.  We cannot manage the external IP and we're all set up in a dynamic pool, though the lease time on the address seems to be infinite.

5 of 11 (9,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2007 11:58:43 AM
(0)
Professor
So far the only way to get it changed is to actually call AT&T.
So far the only way to get it changed is to actually call AT&T.

6 of 11 (9,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2007 2:21:37 PM
(0)
Tutor
After forty minutes on the phone w/ CS yesterday (yes, forty minutes to finally get to T3 who could finally understand the topic of discussion and actually answer the questions at hand in under two minutes), I was told that statics are not currently an option at all with Uverse. That caused a bit of concern for me as I have a remote server to which I need to restrict access to every extent possible and as a result I wanted to set our home IP to static to avoid losing access if/when DHCP hands over a different IP.

I find this a bit surprising as I would think that a fair portion of Uverse customers could/would have a desire/need for a static, but that currently isn't an option unless you go back to "regular" DSL. Granted the IP doesn't change frequently (if at all rarely), but losing remote access as a result is not acceptable. In the end, I was forced to restrict access to all but the Uverse IP block, so at least if someone tries to access the server, I know it's a Uverse customer - hahaha!!
After forty minutes on the phone w/ CS yesterday (yes, forty minutes to finally get to T3 who could finally understand the topic of discussion and actually answer the questions at hand in under two minutes), I was told that statics are not currently an option at all with Uverse. That caused a bit of concern for me as I have a remote server to which I need to restrict access to every extent possible and as a result I wanted to set our home IP to static to avoid losing access if/when DHCP hands over a different IP.

I find this a bit surprising as I would think that a fair portion of Uverse customers could/would have a desire/need for a static, but that currently isn't an option unless you go back to "regular" DSL. Granted the IP doesn't change frequently (if at all rarely), but losing remote access as a result is not acceptable. In the end, I was forced to restrict access to all but the Uverse IP block, so at least if someone tries to access the server, I know it's a Uverse customer - hahaha!!

7 of 11 (9,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2007 2:25:12 PM
(0)
Professor
Well so far my IP has never changed and I know a couple people also say the same thing.
Well so far my IP has never changed and I know a couple people also say the same thing.

8 of 11 (9,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2007 2:35:43 PM
(0)
Tutor
Hence why I said "if at all rarely." Nevertheless, in my world it is preferable to circumvent the potential conflict/problem if/when it would change.
Hence why I said "if at all rarely." Nevertheless, in my world it is preferable to circumvent the potential conflict/problem if/when it would change.

9 of 11 (9,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2007 2:32:41 PM
(0)
Professor
T3?...

You should talk to the folks at T5...really impressive...

I think Pip works there :smileywink:

Message Edited by goot6936 on 12-04-2007 02:34 PM
T3?...

10 of 11 (9,411 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2007 5:41:32 PM
(0)
Master
So, I wonder who is getting my *paychecks!* :smileyvery-happy:

I don't think my IP is changing at all either. I needed that a while back, but now, I guess it doesn't really matter.

goot6936 wrote:
T3?...

Message Edited by Pip on 12-04-2007 08:42 PM
So, I wonder who is getting my *paychecks!* :smileyvery-happy:

I don't think my IP is changing at all either. I needed that a while back, but now, I guess it doesn't really matter.

goot6936 wrote:
T3?...

Message Edited by Pip on 12-04-2007 08:42 PM

11 of 11 (7,356 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments