Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

Mentor

Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

I have and get the 12/1.5 (tests check out)

I was just wondering if anymore upload speed is coming our way here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?

I do online photos and upspeed is nice too have for pix to albums.

thanks.

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 42
Expert

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

jrb531 wrote:

Am I the only one questioning the math here?

24mps down, 3mps up on a 25mps connection????

24+3=27mps and this is assuming no TV or phone service on a 25mps line.

Now this I have to see :smileyhappy:

Yes, you are the only one questioning the math.

Everyone else knows that the profile rate will have to increase to the tested 32/5 (class 11) for it to be offered.

Message 31 of 42
Guru

wase4711 wrote:

well said, Scott!

If Uverse hadnt arrived on the scene, Comcast  and sll the others would still be as lousy of a company as they have been for the last 10-15 years, and things like DOSCSIS 3 would still be on the drawing board..Competition IS a consumers best friend!!

Competition is a great thing! Comcrap gained that name because when they did not have competition they could not care less about their customers (and some still feel that way LOL) but as much as I want Uverse to work.... AT&T is falling way behind!

1. How are they competing on internet speeds?

2. How are they competing on HD?

3. How are they competing on Free VOD?

All these "value added services" that Uverse "used" to offer have so far never turned up or were removed.

Where is my long promised called ID on the TV? What happened to the photo sharing service? Usenet? Free boxes became $5 each boxes then $7 each boxes. They adjusted their pricing to try and force everyone into U300 service by raising U200 prices and removing the entire U400 package to "force" people to pay for HD if they wanted HBO.

So while I appreciate AT&T for bringing more competion to Comcrap (in addition to DTV and Dish) this does not mean that AT&T does not have to compete.

BTW.... since when does more than 2 streams of HD make a customer bleeding edge? If I want to record a show and watch 2 other shows in HD I'm in the extream????

If AT&T allows people more than 4 SD boxes they should be able to support those boxes!

If AT&T allows people more than 2 HD boxes they should be able to support those boxes!

Message 32 of 42
Guru

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

jrb531 wrote:

Am I the only one questioning the math here?

24mps down, 3mps up on a 25mps connection????

24+3=27mps and this is assuming no TV or phone service on a 25mps line.

Now this I have to see :smileyhappy:

Yes, you are the only one questioning the math.

Everyone else knows that the profile rate will have to increase to the tested 32/5 (class 11) for it to be offered.

How does everyone else know?

Are the two tied together? Maybe they are but how do "we" know this?

Right now everyone can get 18mps service.... even those on a 19mps profile (will work as long as you do not watch anything LOL) but this "suposed new service" will only be available to those that happen to be very very close to the VRAD and even if you are lucky enough to be close enough for 32mps service... will they explain in clear terms that watching TV can lower your speeds? Do they even explain that now to people with 18mps service or is it burried in some fine print?

Message 33 of 42
Expert

jrb531 wrote:

Right now everyone can get 18mps service.... even those on a 19mps profile (will work as long as you do not watch anything LOL) but this "suposed new service" will only be available to those that happen to be very very close to the VRAD and even if you are lucky enough to be close enough for 32mps service... will they explain in clear terms that watching TV can lower your speeds? Do they even explain that now to people with 18mps service or is it burried in some fine print?

This is not correct.  If you are on the 19/2 profile, the highest internet package offered would be the 12/1.5 package.

When U-verse introduced the 18/1.5 internet package the TOS agreement was modified to reflect that using other U-verse services (i.e. TV and voice) could reduce the bandwidth available for the internet.  The complete TOS agreement can be found at the following link:

https://uma.att.com/general/109-AMSS-X-DMA1-POPUP.html#internet

The statement below appears in section 2 of the U-verse internet TOS: 

"In order to provide a consistently high-quality video service, AT&T Uverse High Speed Internet throughput speeds may be temporarily reduced when a customer is using other U-verse services in a manner that requires high bandwidth. This could occur more often with higher speed Internet access products. In order to enhance reliability and consistency of performance, some broadband access lines may be provisioned at less than the maximum speed capability but within the range of speed purchased."

Message 34 of 42

And, as we all are aware, all the ISP's market their speeds as "up to ___ per second", saying, in fact, that you probably will NEVER get the speed you pay for, but you "could get" up to that speed..

I have to admit, much to my surprise, so far this time around I am actually exceeding the speed I pay for with comcast; I pay for 50-10 speeds, and I get 60-62 downloads almost 24-7...I am sure that wont be the case forever, but, its a pleasant surprise none the less..

I used to get about 17-17.40 on my Uverse 18 meg tier, but NEVER actually got 18, or anything above it..

Message 35 of 42
Guru

wase4711 wrote:

And, as we all are aware, all the ISP's market their speeds as "up to ___ per second", saying, in fact, that you probably will NEVER get the speed you pay for, but you "could get" up to that speed..

I have to admit, much to my surprise, so far this time around I am actually exceeding the speed I pay for with comcast; I pay for 50-10 speeds, and I get 60-62 downloads almost 24-7...I am sure that wont be the case forever, but, its a pleasant surprise none the less..

I used to get about 17-17.40 on my Uverse 18 meg tier, but NEVER actually got 18, or anything above it..

To be fair... cable "shares" bandwidth (although they can still cap your maximum speed) with all your neighbors. If they build out the system correctly this is not an issue but if they want to maximize revenue they can "share" the line with too many people and your speed drops during times of heavy use.

This is part of what got Comcrap the bad rep. A few years ago, in many areas, they oversold their system and it could not handle the number of users they had. People were getting but a small fraction of the speed they paid for.

I'm glad they seem to be getting their act together and I hope your speed holds up but they just recently upgraded their speed and I wonder what will happen once people start upping their speed.

Message 36 of 42

yeah, that is the exact reason I left them a year or so ago, and went with Uverse; the speeds were horrible from 5pm at night, until 10pm..

but, this time around, whether its due to the DOCSIS 3 upgrade, or they actually built out the infrastructure, I get awesum, consistent  download speeds pretty much 24-7..

I agree; this may change, but as long as it lasts for my 12 month commitment, I will be happy! 

Message 37 of 42
Expert

jrb531 wrote:

How does everyone else know?

Are the two tied together? Maybe they are but how do "we" know this?

The main issue is the proposed upload speed.  If the 24 Mbps down/3 Mbps up package is to become a reality, the 25/2 profile (class 10) won't handle the upload (3 Mbps of traffic won't fit into a 2 Mbps channel).  The rumored class 11 profile of 32/5 would be required.

Message 38 of 42
Employee

wase4711 wrote:

Well, we know that people from ATT read this forum, and, I am certain they report back to their superiors about what people are screaming about..hell, dont forget, this used to be a 1 hd stream service, with 10/1 internet speed...its forums like this, and uverseusers.com that help keep pushing companies liek ATT to raise the bar, and spend some of their billions in profit to make their service more competitive with the others..

As far as moving to a neighborhood with Fibre, that is just a silly response..who the hell would base where they buy a house on what kind of communications infrastructure is in place????? I don't know of ANYONE who even considers that when buying a house..

Outside of remote rural areas, any metro/suburban area will have at lease cable/dsl/satellite as an option 

I would and I have seen a number of people on Uverseuser ask where Uverse was green. It is a little earier to ask that on UU because they have individual state forums. I would not move to get a service but I would ask more questions about internet service if I was looking for another home. If were you I and I had a choice between two homes that were basicly equal and one was served by Comcast and the other by Uverse I would pick the Comcast house because of the demands you require. Based on the way I would use the system I would take Uverse. 

To answer your reply to my comment about why are you here if you have moved to Comcast. The reason I made the comment is you seem to have a way of putting down anything that does not work just the way you want it. In the end I hope Uverse becomes all fiber and I hope it is pushed to do so faster because of compitition. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 39 of 42
Mentor

The one thing I enjoy with U-verse over Comcast, is the ability to record more that one program while watching another, all in the same time slot. With Comcast, it was record one, watch one.  With the way the networks stack the programs in the same time slot to compete with each other, there has been several times, I've had to record two, while watching a third.  Espessially since the new season has started.  Just call me a TV junky. :smileytongue:

If Comcast ever improved their watch one record one setup, I would probably go back to them, strickly for the intenet speeds.

Message 40 of 42

yeah, I use to like that as well, except there was one MAJOR issue;

If you were recording 2 HD programs at the same time, you could NOT watch a 3rd one live..That used to happen to me alot, and, would be very annoying..

I must admit it is nice with comcast's Ultra speed tier  now, getting 60 megs down all the time, and around 9-10 up... 

Message 41 of 42
Highlighted
Mentor

wase4711 wrote:

yeah, I use to like that as well, except there was one MAJOR issue;

If you were recording 2 HD programs at the same time, you could NOT watch a 3rd one live..That used to happen to me alot, and, would be very annoying..

I must admit it is nice with comcast's Ultra speed tier  now, getting 60 megs down all the time, and around 9-10 up... 

Yeah, it's usually watch one HD program, and record 2 SD programs.  But it all depends on which program I want to watch in HD.  It's a nice feature. 

I'm not too loyal when it comes to products or companies.  If I can get a better deal, or sevices, I go for it. Those are nice speeds, very tempting,  but right now, the recording options win out over internet speed. 

Message 42 of 42
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support