Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

Highlighted
Mentor

Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

I have and get the 12/1.5 (tests check out)

 

I was just wondering if anymore upload speed is coming our way here in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?

 

I do online photos and upspeed is nice too have for pix to albums.

 

thanks.

Tags (2)
780 Views
Message 1 of 42
Teacher

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

Message 2 of 42

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

not unless you plan on moving to Comcast..

532925708.png 

Message 3 of 42
Guru

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

I have been toying with the idea of moving to Comcrap and taking their minimal TV service and just doing the Streaming Netflix thing.

 

What is keeping me from doing this is the DVR charges for Comcrap but I am using the DVR less and less after Uverse removed the skip commercial feature. The internet is my #1 concern and I am hoping that Uverse gets it's act together and increases the "affordable" internet speed to at least "try" and compete.

 

Yes I can still FF over commercials but it's a real chore when it used to be near instant. While this may seem petty for some... it really irks me why they changed it and why they cannot change it back.

 

 

Message 4 of 42

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

If you sign up for one of their "packages", and commit for at least a year, they generally throw in a hddvr for free for one year.Don't forget, you probably are paying 7 bucks a month now for your DVR from ATT...

 

Call them and see what they will offer you, and tell them you are currently a Uverse customer, so they will "sweeten" the deal.. 

Message Edited by wase4711 on 09-24-2009 08:18 AM
Message 5 of 42
Guru

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?


wase4711 wrote:

If you sign up for one of their "packages", and commit for at least a year, they generally throw in a hddvr for free for one year.Don't forget, you probably are paying 7 bucks a month now for your DVR from ATT...

 

Call them and see what they will offer you, and tell them you are currently a Uverse customer, so they will "sweeten" the deal.. 

Message Edited by wase4711 on 09-24-2009 08:18 AM

 

I might just do that. Right now I have 4 HD TV's and I cannot use them all because of the 2 stream HD limit. Upping our 25mps to 32mps would not only allow another HD stream but would give them some leeway to bump up the internet speeds.
Message 6 of 42

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

Yeah, I know what you mean..I have 6 hd tv's in the house, and, even though they are all never on at the same time, I do often record 2 HD programs at the same time,and with Uverse, I couldnt watch a HD program if I was recording 2 at the same time; with comcast, there is NO limit to how many hd streams at once..

As far as the internet speeds are concerned, ATT is still in the "dark ages" when it comes to that; the STANDARD highspeed package with comcast now is 22/5, when you bundle it in a package, and, I spend an extra 20 dollars per month, and get 50/10, which just blows away anything ATT has..

 

I left ATT more because of the HD streams, and the endless pixelation/macroblocking/video issues that they could not fix, after many, many service visits, and, I will say this about comcrap; in the 3 months  I have had them, the service has not failed, frozen, or given me any real issues.

They came out and ran a new drop for me, and, when my internet signal wasn't just right, they sent a service guy AND a line tech out to "balance" my signal for me, without any real problem.

 

 Plus, my total bill for Comcrap is $45.00 per month LESS than it was with UVerse, for much better service... 

Message 7 of 42
Guru

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?


wase4711 wrote:

Yeah, I know what you mean..I have 6 hd tv's in the house, and, even though they are all never on at the same time, I do often record 2 HD programs at the same time,and with Uverse, I couldnt watch a HD program if I was recording 2 at the same time; with comcast, there is NO limit to how many hd streams at once..

As far as the internet speeds are concerned, ATT is still in the "dark ages" when it comes to that; the STANDARD highspeed package with comcast now is 22/5, when you bundle it in a package, and, I spend an extra 20 dollars per month, and get 50/10, which just blows away anything ATT has..

 

I left ATT more because of the HD streams, and the endless pixelation/macroblocking/video issues that they could not fix, after many, many service visits, and, I will say this about comcrap; in the 3 months  I have had them, the service has not failed, frozen, or given me any real issues.

They came out and ran a new drop for me, and, when my internet signal wasn't just right, they sent a service guy AND a line tech out to "balance" my signal for me, without any real problem.

 

 Plus, my total bill for Comcrap is $45.00 per month LESS than it was with UVerse, for much better service... 


 

My issue with Comcrap has always been their pricing and the fact that many years ago, when they had no competition, they royally screwed over their customers. In fact it was so bad that you could not even get them to answer their darn phone.

 

I cannot imagine how you save any money on Comcrap. Every config I try ends up costing me more money but perhaps it's the savings you get on the internet part of the package or you're on some 1 year deal. Sure they are cheap if you need more than 6mps (I don't need it but I'd like it LOL) but on he TV and Phone portions they are pretty crazy on prices.

Message 8 of 42

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

well, here is what I have:

 

PREMIER package,( triple play..)

-EVERY Channel they have, all premiums. This is a waste for me, since we dont watch that much TV, but, it was cheaper to get this "special" package, than it was to get what I really wanted A la Carte...

 

-digital voice unlimited, all calls in usa free, unlimited

-22/5 internet package

1 hd DVR, no charge for 12 months 

This package is 149 per month...

 

I upgraded the internet to the 50/10 speeds for an extra 20 bucks per month

 

Total of 169

 

With Uverse, the U450, with 6 boxes, and the "Ultra" 18/1.5 speeds was costing me $213 per month, a difference of $44.00

 

Yeah, Comcrap screwed me over a few times in the last 20 years, but, so far,this time everything has been really good. I still watch every single line of every single bill, and, when I notice something isnt right, I call, and they credit me instantly, without any questions..

Unfortunately, I do not trust ANY PROVIDER of ANY SERVICE, 100% of the time, especially in this time of reduced customer service and untrained, cheap labor. But, I am saving money with them, I can have 6 hd streams going at once, and, my phone works fine, and my internet is blazing fast, so, for the time being, I am a happy camper!! 

 

 

Message 9 of 42
Expert

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

Glad to see you are still hanging around the forum!

 

Do you miss U-verse's THDVR?  Sounds like with Comcast, you can only watch recordings on 1 TV.  Is that correct?

 

With Comcast, do you have STB's for all of your 6 TV"s?

Message 10 of 42
Guru

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?


wase4711 wrote:

well, here is what I have:

 

PREMIER package,( triple play..)

-EVERY Channel they have, all premiums. This is a waste for me, since we dont watch that much TV, but, it was cheaper to get this "special" package, than it was to get what I really wanted A la Carte...

 

-digital voice unlimited, all calls in usa free, unlimited

-22/5 internet package

1 hd DVR, no charge for 12 months 

This package is 149 per month...

 

I upgraded the internet to the 50/10 speeds for an extra 20 bucks per month

 

Total of 169

 

With Uverse, the U450, with 6 boxes, and the "Ultra" 18/1.5 speeds was costing me $213 per month, a difference of $44.00

 

Yeah, Comcrap screwed me over a few times in the last 20 years, but, so far,this time everything has been really good. I still watch every single line of every single bill, and, when I notice something isnt right, I call, and they credit me instantly, without any questions..

Unfortunately, I do not trust ANY PROVIDER of ANY SERVICE, 100% of the time, especially in this time of reduced customer service and untrained, cheap labor. But, I am saving money with them, I can have 6 hd streams going at once, and, my phone works fine, and my internet is blazing fast, so, for the time being, I am a happy camper!! 

 

 


 

Hmmm that's the first year price.... it comes up as $159 for the first year and $199 after that. They also want $149 to install!

 

This price is only good if you get their most expensive package. Look at other packages: (assume HD&DVR's for 1 TV)

 

1. HD Premier Triple Play - $160 ($200)

2. HD Plus Triple Play - $155 ($175) ($15 for HD DVR) 

3. HD Starter Triple Play - $130 ($145) ($15 for HD DVR)

 

Now this is only for 1 HD DVR..... each TV after the first costs you $15 for another HDDVR so for me (with 4 TV's) the cost for me to switch from Uverse (paying $180) for a package similar to #2 above would be:

 

$175 (I'm not looking at teaser prices)

$60 for 4 HD DVR's

 

or $235 ( $55 more per month)

 

Now to be fair let's add another $20 to bump up my Internet speeds and I'd still be paying $35 more a month. Sure I could knock off all those HD DVR's but with Uverse I have a HD DVR for every TV in the home (even if not a true DVR) so the only way I could save money would be to give up all but 1 HD DVR.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Message 11 of 42

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

well, I only need one dvr, for the family room..do you REALLY NEED Dvr's in every room??

all my other tv's have QAM tuners in them, and can recieve the first 100 channels for free just with the cable screwed in..no box required.

I bet if you tell them you need a second DVR for free, and you will switch, they will give it to you..

 

As far as the "first year" price, and the price after that, they do NOT want to lose any customer, so, after 12 months, I will call their retention dept. and tell them to extend my deal another year or I am switching to ATT; wanna bet they will say ok? 

 

Like I said, we dont watch that much tv, so when we really want to do some serious watching, we head to the family room for the 70Inch Sony, which is hooked up to the hddvr.

 

You really have to call them to get the "best" deal; dont be afraid to ask for extra stuff, if they "steal" you from Uverse...I got installed for 50 bucks, and they ended up waiving it when I called a month later and told them I was promised "free install"..My service was down twice for about 5 minutes, and when I called to complain, they gave me a $25.00 credit..

 

Plus, they are switching some of the "basic" channels, (those under #100) to the "digital starter" tier, and are going to give me 2 digital boxes for free, as part of the "forced upgrade" in chicago, so I will use those on 2 of my tv's to get ALL the Premier Tier channels for free!

 

Message 12 of 42
Guru

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?


wase4711 wrote:

well, I only need one dvr, for the family room..do you REALLY NEED Dvr's in every room??

all my other tv's have QAM tuners in them, and can recieve the first 100 channels for free just with the cable screwed in..no box required.

I bet if you tell them you need a second DVR for free, and you will switch, they will give it to you..

 

As far as the "first year" price, and the price after that, they do NOT want to lose any customer, so, after 12 months, I will call their retention dept. and tell them to extend my deal another year or I am switching to ATT; wanna bet they will say ok? 

 

Like I said, we dont watch that much tv, so when we really want to do some serious watching, we head to the family room for the 70Inch Sony, which is hooked up to the hddvr.

 

You really have to call them to get the "best" deal; dont be afraid to ask for extra stuff, if they "steal" you from Uverse...I got installed for 50 bucks, and they ended up waiving it when I called a month later and told them I was promised "free install"..My service was down twice for about 5 minutes, and when I called to complain, they gave me a $25.00 credit..

 

Plus, they are switching some of the "basic" channels, (those under #100) to the "digital starter" tier, and are going to give me 2 digital boxes for free, as part of the "forced upgrade" in chicago, so I will use those on 2 of my tv's to get ALL the Premier Tier channels for free!

 


 

Do I "really" need 4 DVR's? No but right now, in effect, I have them with Uverse. I just wanted to do an "apples to apples" compare.

 

Can I ask you this since Comcrap's webpage does not disclose fees very well... If I only want 1 DVR do they charge rentals for regular cable boxes? I cannot seem to find this info anywhere and after some digging I did find that non-HD DVR's are $10 each per month and HD DVR's $15 each per month (after the first) - that $150 install fee is crazy but I suspect they would work with me on that :smileyhappy:

 

I'm still holding out hope that AT&T will turn on 32mps and adjust their crazy internet prices but if not I just might have to make a choice.

Message 13 of 42

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?

its 8 bucks a month for "regular" boxes, no dvr..if your TV can use a CableCard, its 1.99 per month, I believe..

 

Dont hold your breath on the 32 mb "turn on"..I have read that is causing alot of problems, and its been shelved for the immediate future.. 

Message 14 of 42
Guru

Re: Dumb question of the week, any gossip on internet speed increasing?


wase4711 wrote:

its 8 bucks a month for "regular" boxes, no dvr..if your TV can use a CableCard, its 1.99 per month, I believe..

 

Dont hold your breath on the 32 mb "turn on"..I have read that is causing alot of problems, and its been shelved for the immediate future.. 


 

Well if it's $8 a month for a non-DVR you might as well get the SD-DVR for $10.

 

Thanks for all the info. I have some thinking to do.

 

IMHO AT&T is in a real bad place right now and all due to some short sighted thinking. 2 streams (1 for some) of HD just will not cut it anymore in 2010 and this is not just for those with multiple TV's. Now it has been said that AT&T has some new tech in the wings that will allow a much higher data rate on existing line (anyone know what I'm talking about?) and that they only need "turn it on" and away we go.

 

Well if this is the case they better turn it on soon because I just cannot see anyone moving to Uverse right now with this 2 stream HD limit. Maybe if you only had a single TV then it's fine but how many people only have 1 TV?

 

As much as it seems that I'm knocking Uverse I'm not. The tech is getting better and it seems to work well aside from some teething pains they are working out now. it's not the tech of Uverse that's the problem.... it's the tiny "pipe" they are using that dooms the entire thing to fail.... unless they can at least double that 25mps to at least 50mps.

 

What was At&T thinking? Did they really think back in 2007 that 25mps would be enough in 2010 and that their competition would sit on their hands? All I can think of is that they though that some new tech would be available by now to allow old copper phone lines to compete with true fiber or traditional cable.

Message 15 of 42
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support