Download speed comparison

Download speed comparison

Can anyone tell me if  the U-200 download speed of 1.5 MB is high enough to download large files. I currently have cox cable with a measured download speed of 7 MB and this is what I am used to. . Does this service put a lid on the max. download rate and if so what is the best service to select?. I have signed up for the lowest rate but which rate is best for general downloads? Thanks..

Ron

Message 1 of 22 (763 Views)
Expert

Re: Download speed comparison

Escapee wrote:
SomeJoe it sounds like you need two accounts. One for business and one for Uverse. Your usage is why they are going to caps. Now your costs are fixed while AT&Ts are what ever their customers want to use limited only by their speed. You pay a price for speed why not a price for usage. You and other high users feel the unwritten rules changed but the users changed the rules of the game

Well, don't mistake what exactly I'm complaining about.

Every company has a right to make a profit, and every company has a right to charge what the market will bear.  I've got no problem with that.

My complaint is that I'm going to be losing service.  Think of it like this: Right now, I get U200 TV and 10Mb Internet for about $125/month.  The price really doesn't concern me.  (By the way, my company subsidizes 1/2 of the Internet cost for me, since I use it for personal use as well as use it to backup files from work).

Now, along come the caps.  150GB/month won't cut it for my usage.  To me, that's not really a problem so long as there's a solution.  A solution would be U200 TV (which I pay for), and 10Mb small business Internet, priced probably $30/month higher than what I pay now.  What that boils down to is a price increase.  I've got no problem with that.  I (and my company) will pay whatever reasonable cost is required to retain the functionality we have.  Price increases are a part of doing business.

My complaint is that this is not going to be allowed.  AT&T is not going to let me have U200 TV and small business Internet on the same account, despite the fact that there is no service difference between that and what I have right now.  The only difference would be price.  But they're going to say no, for no other reason than their "small business" product doesn't allow them to include TV.

So don't put the fault of the caps back on me or tell me that I don't understand how the business pricing and capitalized costs work.  The fault lies with AT&T for yanking away my (currently perfectly working) service.  They will pay the price, as I can't buy TV from them anymore if this happens.

Message 16 of 22 (393 Views)
Employee

SomeJoe I understand your dilemma and a smaller company would be more nimble and try to find a win win for both sides. You have a solution if the decision making was closer to the customer they could hopefully come up with a price that both sides would be happy with. But when any company becomes megabig they become one size fits all from above. That has it's own advantages that one size may enable the purchase of equipment at a volume discount they pass on to the customer. Your only option to keep Uverse TV is to do the split address. Which is stupid for the company because they are using twice the hardware to give the same service. At this point another company is going to get your TV business and if BizUverse does not have caps bring in less total revenue on the same fixed cost equiptment outside your house.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 17 of 22 (393 Views)

I have the 18 Mbps internet speed, but I rarely ever see more than 10 or 11.

I called tech support and they confirmed that they I am setup for 18.

If I take the same computer and connect it to my Comcast modem, I get 18  with no problem.

I use speakeasy Atlanta server.

Anyone see the same issue with their 18?

Message 18 of 22 (393 Views)

Can someone point me to where this proposed cap is mentioned?

I would like to see this in writing..

Thanks.

Message 19 of 22 (393 Views)
Master

djmegahertz wrote:

Can someone point me to where this proposed cap is mentioned?

I would like to see this in writing..

Thanks.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=HSIA&message.id=7112&query.id=15195#M7112
Message 20 of 22 (393 Views)
Highlighted

Message Edited by jimfitzgerald on 02-02-2009 03:10 AM
Message 21 of 22 (443 Views)
Tutor

Well I took the plunge and upgraded form max 10 to max 18. I was curious to see if it really hit the potential upload of 18,000 KBPS. Guess what it comes pretty darn closeI tested this on my lap top via Wi-Fi so its watered down a little but I’m hitting 17, 311 . Not bad at all Merry Christmas to me

http://www.speedtest.net/result/378978770.png

Message 22 of 22 (443 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.