Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 16, 2010
7:21:11 PM
Download from DVR?
I know this has been discussed before, but just checking to see if anything has changed. Can you download via the usb port (active yet?) on the front of the VIP1225 dvr? or can you do it another way? Copyright legalities an issue as well?
Message Edited by antman on 01-16-2010 10:21 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but just checking to see if anything has changed. Can you download via the usb port (active yet?) on the front of the VIP1225 dvr? or can you do it another way? Copyright legalities an issue as well?
Message Edited by antman on 01-16-2010 10:21 PM

Download from DVR?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2010 8:54:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

No, USB is for power only.  Only way to get anything off the DVR is real time recording to a DVD or

VCR and may not occur due to HDCP, DRM etc. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

No, USB is for power only.  Only way to get anything off the DVR is real time recording to a DVD or

VCR and may not occur due to HDCP, DRM etc. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Download from DVR?

2 of 11 (3,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2010 8:43:28 AM
(0)
Guru
Or you can run the composite cables from the STB to a PC with a video capture card and record anything you want to its hard drive
Or you can run the composite cables from the STB to a PC with a video capture card and record anything you want to its hard drive

3 of 11 (3,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2010 6:00:45 PM
(0)
Contributor

What video capture card has Componet (red, green, blue) inputs?  I would like to off load my HD DVR recordings to my PC, but have only found video capture devices that accept either composite (yellow, red, white) or Firewire 134 inputs.  I'm currently using the Pinnacle/Avid DVC510.

Also, since this method requires play back in real time, is there a faster way?  The operating system for the DVR is Windows based, isn't there a way to copy the files directly to my PC and do a file format conversion?  (My U-verse system uses Cat5 cabling, so I can "see" the DVR on my router network.)  Any thoughts would be appreciated. --MechMann

What video capture card has Componet (red, green, blue) inputs?  I would like to off load my HD DVR recordings to my PC, but have only found video capture devices that accept either composite (yellow, red, white) or Firewire 134 inputs.  I'm currently using the Pinnacle/Avid DVC510.

Also, since this method requires play back in real time, is there a faster way?  The operating system for the DVR is Windows based, isn't there a way to copy the files directly to my PC and do a file format conversion?  (My U-verse system uses Cat5 cabling, so I can "see" the DVR on my router network.)  Any thoughts would be appreciated. --MechMann

4 of 11 (3,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2010 6:11:53 PM
(0)
Expert

The Hauppage HD-PVR is the only recorder on the market that will accept component inputs and record in 1080i.

The files on the hard drive of the U-Verse DVR are encrypted, the only known decoder is the Sigma 8634 chip inside the DVR.  The encryption key used is tied to your U-Verse account.

The Hauppage HD-PVR is the only recorder on the market that will accept component inputs and record in 1080i.

The files on the hard drive of the U-Verse DVR are encrypted, the only known decoder is the Sigma 8634 chip inside the DVR.  The encryption key used is tied to your U-Verse account.

5 of 11 (3,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2010 1:17:50 PM
(0)
Contributor
SomeJoe7777, Thank you for the info!  I'll be looking into the Hauppage HD DVR.  Thanks --MechMann
SomeJoe7777, Thank you for the info!  I'll be looking into the Hauppage HD DVR.  Thanks --MechMann

6 of 11 (3,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 22, 2010 7:31:21 PM
(0)
Guru
Thanks for the replies guys!
Thanks for the replies guys!

7 of 11 (3,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2010 11:07:22 AM
(0)
Teacher
I tried recording "live" recently. My Philips DVD recorder can do it, but my Sony recorder complains "You are not allowed to record this program". What could be the reason for that?
I tried recording "live" recently. My Philips DVD recorder can do it, but my Sony recorder complains "You are not allowed to record this program". What could be the reason for that?

8 of 11 (3,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2010 8:04:46 AM
(0)
Expert

The outputs of the U-Verse boxes are protected by Macrovison signal protection.  Some VCRs/DVD recorders will honor the Macrovision signal and refuse to record, others (usually older models) will ignore it and allow you to record.

There are reports that a Macrovision removal device such as the Grex will work and allow any device to record.

The outputs of the U-Verse boxes are protected by Macrovison signal protection.  Some VCRs/DVD recorders will honor the Macrovision signal and refuse to record, others (usually older models) will ignore it and allow you to record.

There are reports that a Macrovision removal device such as the Grex will work and allow any device to record.

9 of 11 (3,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2010 5:45:02 PM
(0)
Teacher

I'm hoping that my VCR/DVD Recorder/Player is an old one and want to hook it up. One, I want to be able to watch existing tapes that I have. Two, I want to record some college sporting events from Comcast Sports Net New England that I have on the DVR. Can any of you provide some detailed instructions on how to wire the old unit into the TV? 

Thanks in advance!

I'm hoping that my VCR/DVD Recorder/Player is an old one and want to hook it up. One, I want to be able to watch existing tapes that I have. Two, I want to record some college sporting events from Comcast Sports Net New England that I have on the DVR. Can any of you provide some detailed instructions on how to wire the old unit into the TV? 

Thanks in advance!

10 of 11 (3,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 16, 2010 6:45:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Are you planning to connect the vcr/dvd to a televsion that has the dvr stb on it?  These instructions are based upon you connecting it to a tv with the dvr.

You can take the coax out or the component (yellow rca cable) or svhs out of the stb into your vcr input.  Take the vcr output into your television.  Does your tv have multiple inputs?  If so you can take one of the other outputs directly into your tv.  If you use any output other than the coax or rf out to your vcr or tv, you will also need to connect the red and white rca audio outputs into your tv or into your vcr.  If you want to record one channel onto your vcr to keep it on tape then you will have to connect an ota antenna to your vcr. 

Are you planning to connect the vcr/dvd to a televsion that has the dvr stb on it?  These instructions are based upon you connecting it to a tv with the dvr.

You can take the coax out or the component (yellow rca cable) or svhs out of the stb into your vcr input.  Take the vcr output into your television.  Does your tv have multiple inputs?  If so you can take one of the other outputs directly into your tv.  If you use any output other than the coax or rf out to your vcr or tv, you will also need to connect the red and white rca audio outputs into your tv or into your vcr.  If you want to record one channel onto your vcr to keep it on tape then you will have to connect an ota antenna to your vcr. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 11 (2,354 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments