Helpful Links

Do I need to "activate" the extra space on my DVR? Tech said I did.

Mentor

Do I need to "activate" the extra space on my DVR? Tech said I did.

I got U-verse installed today.  I have only SD (Standard Def) programming, no HD.  

When the tech arrived and started working I asked him if he had any of the higher capacity DVRs and if I coud have one (after searching this forum I discovered ATT uses 4 different DVRs, in different areas of the country).  He said sure and installed a Cisco IPN4320 which I gather has 320GB hard drive in it which is awesome.

But the tech told me something odd which I had never heard of.   He said that since I had SD programming only, my DVR would still only behave as a smaller hard drive and that I would have to call ATT and "activate" the extra space on the box, as if because I had SD only a certain amount of hard drive space was available to be used, and that I would have to upgrade to High Definition programming to utilize all the space.

Is this true?  I can't imagine that this would be the case, but stranger things have happened.

Message 1 of 4
Expert

Re: Do I need to "activate" the extra space on my DVR? Tech said I did.

All I've heard is that you have to subscribe to HD (Technology Fee) or have U450 to get the larger HDDs.

Message 2 of 4

I don't see how a portion of the HD can be blocked from use if it's not activated.  That would basically require a reformat to move a partition.  Windows CE doesn't have the ability to manage disks on the fly so I would say that your tech was smoking something.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Expert

Run U-Verse Realtime and see what size hard drive the unit is reporting that it has.

Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Additional Support