Disk Space -- HD vs SD

Tutor

Disk Space -- HD vs SD

I understand that a HD recording takes up more disk space than a SD one. My question is this: If I record an older SD show that is on a HD channel, does it take up as much disk space as as a HD show would?

Message 1 of 5 (707 Views)
Expert

Re: Disk Space -- HD vs SD

Good question.  I'd like to know the answer to that one.
Message 2 of 5 (707 Views)
Scholar

Good question indeed

I would think that if you are recording it on a HD channel, it will take up as much room

the key being the channel is HD

Message 3 of 5 (707 Views)
Guru

dakall wrote:

I understand that a HD recording takes up more disk space than a SD one. My question is this: If I record an older SD show that is on a HD channel, does it take up as much disk space as as a HD show would?

Generally, yes.  Non-HD programs on HD channels are upscaled and will use roughly the same bandwidth/space as an actual HD show.

Message 4 of 5 (707 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

cheer wrote:

dakall wrote:

Generally, yes.  Non-HD programs on HD channels are upscaled and will use roughly the same bandwidth/space as an actual HD show.

This is correct, with a note that it will take "a little" less space, because the side-bars are more "compressable."  The bitrate and required storage depend on (among other things) the amount of information that changes from frame-to-frame. Since the edges beyond a 4:3 image inside a 16:9 box don't change much, if at all, that information doesn't need to updated between the full-frame (I-Frame) transmissions. SO, less bitrate, less storage. Still more than SD, because of the higher transmitted image quality (not a better image, but a better representation of the same quality as an SD image).

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 5 (707 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.