Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Impacted by the government shutdown? AT&T can help.  Learn more

Data/Stats Collection Thread

Scholar

Data/Stats Collection Thread

This is directed primarily at SomeJoe7777 but I include some of you other U-talk "gods" as well (RCSMG, mibrnsurg, BeeBee, spd2demun, and many others).  I'm asking for a favor on behalf of all us "disciples" who learn from you.

I'm beginning to realize that the stats from the RG can be used to determine what's working (or not working) correctly with our Uverse installations.  Case in point - I just learned last week where to look in the stats to determine how well my coax is delivering a signal to my 2 STBs and DVR.  A reading of 112 shows the signal is fine, 96 indicates some problems, lower shows major issues.  The number of uncorrected blocks, max sync numbers, and all the other numbers and values tell how well the system is functioning.  Unfortunately most of the numbers are Greek to me.  Here's where I ask the favor.

You've already helped us (thank you VERY much!) with information on how to calibrate our systems, measuring our usage, and so much more.  Could you, or some of the other folks with the necessary knowledge, work up examples of what the various RG stats and diagnostic pages mean?  I know that is asking a lot but I believe it would REALLY be a help to those of us that have a basic understanding of the Uverse system and just need some help with the details.  If would certainly help when dealing with the on-site Techs who most times don't seem to know where to start to fix the system.

If you could do that for us I promise I'll build a shrine to you, built from the left-behind cut off coax connectors and RG-6 cable that is covering my attic floor!  :smileywink:

Thanks!!

John

Message Edited by TreyW on 01-19-2010 06:47 PM
Tags (1)
Message 1 of 158
Expert

Re: Open letter to SomeJoe7777

Hi Jim.  Here are my stats.  For the most part you want to be seeing more 0s and or lower numbers.  In the not too distant past I suddenly started getting major freezing and pixelization.  Turns out that a splitter went bad that was used in my coax installation.  I called ts and in less than 2 and a half hours a tech came out, replaced the splitter and I was good to go.  I got a lot of my info from coming here reading, and asking lots of questions.  You don't have to worry about understanding how Uverse services work, or learning it really fast.  We are all here to help.  Now in the case of Joe, he is way beyond me in his knowledge.  And he loves helping people.  He and many others can give you more info about what the stats mean and what to look for.  But for the most part I suggest you do what I have done and suggested to many people.  If you ever have a question or problem feel free to ask.  There are many people who are ready, willing, and able to help you at a moments notice.  Enjoy the service, and if I didn't say it already, welcome to Uverse.

View Broadband Link Statistics
<div class="mainwarningtopbox"> <div class="roundwhite"> <div class="subtitle">WARNING</div> <div class="warniconmsg"> <div class="indented19"> <span class="textsmall">To use this page to customize the features of your 3800HGV-B Gateway, you must have JavaScript enabled.&#xA0;JavaScript is currently disabled in your browser or by the security software on your PC.&#xA0;To enable JavaScript in your browser, please read the documentation associated with your browser.&#xA0;To enable JavaScript disabled by the security software on your PC, please read the documentation for that software.</span> </div> </div> </div> </div>
Transmit and Receive Data
IP Bytes   Packets   Errors
Transmit: 924062861   5121903   0
Receive: 3187861012   404998866   0

Data Errors
Statistics
Collected for 17 days 4:17:58
 Since ResetCurrent 24-Hour IntervalCurrent 15-Minute IntervalTime Since Last Event

DSL Link Retrains:1003 days 22:29:01

DSL Training Errors:0000:00:00

DSL Training Timeouts:0000:00:00

DSL Loss of Framing Failures:0000:00:00

DSL Loss of Signal Failures:4003 days 22:29:01

DSL Loss of Power Failures:0000:00:00

DSL Loss of Margin Failures:0000:00:00

DSL Cumulative Errored Seconds:4003 days 22:29:01

DSL Severely Errored Seconds:4003 days 22:29:01

DSL Corrected Blocks:2002321249800:19:28

DSL Uncorrected Blocks:1027003 days 22:29:01

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 158
Expert

Hi Jim,

I actually did a post on some of this a while back, it's here.  That post explains most of the statistics available in the following two links:

Broadband Link Statistics

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J03&THISPAGE=J04&NEXTPAGE=J03

Broadband Detailed Statistics

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=J04&THISPAGE=J03&NEXTPAGE=J04

I have toyed with the idea for a while now to try and collect some data, put it in an Excel spreadsheet, and attempt to correlate all these statistics to distance from the VRAD.  I'd like to try to do that here in this thread.

So, if you are a Fiber To The Node (FTTN) customer, please post the following if you'd like to contribute to this project.  I need to collect 30-50 data points for this to be valid.

• The data from the Broadband Link Statistics link above, to include the upstream and downstream current rate, the downstream max rate, the downstream current noise margin, the downstream attenuation, and the downstream and upstream output power levels.
  • The data from the Broadband Detailed Statistics link above, to include all the error counts in all categories.
  • If known (e.g. a premises tech told you, or tier 1 or tier 2 told you) your distance from the VRAD.  Don't guess, I only want it if you know for sure.

What I'm going to do with all this data is graph it in Excel, and attempt to get a standard correlation profile between all the parameters.  What this will let us do then is then be able to look at a set of data and determine if one of the parameters doesn't "fit" with the others.  This can indicate noisy lines, low gauge copper, bridge taps, etc.  It can be a useful troubleshooting tool because it can give the techs a place to start.

Message 3 of 158
ACE - Expert

Distance as reported by Premise tech's testing device: 0.0 k feet.

Distance as reported by Voice on other end of Premise tech's phone: 2000 feet.

Distance as measured by Google Maps, tracing line from VRAD, over the only logical route from the VRAD (using bridge over creek and pedestal as anchor points: 300-400 feet.

DSL                     Down         Up
Current Rate:          25208 kbs   2040 kbs 
Max Rate:              64000 kbs   Not Available
Current Connection:
 Current Noise Margin:  32.0 dB    Not Available
 Current Attenuation:    9.0 dB    Not Available
 Current Output Power:  14.3 dBm   -22.7 dBm 

IP               Bytes  Packets  Drops  Errors     %
Transmit:    424257691   2919843     0       0     0
Receive:  130560982009  95464062   198       0     0

Collected for 5 days 10:36:21

DSL                              Since     Current    Current     Time
                                 Reset     24-Hour    15-Minute   Since
                                           Interval   Interval  
Last Event
Link Retrains:                       0           0          0     0:00:00
DSL Training Errors:                 0           0          0     0:00:00
Training Timeouts:                   0           0          0     0:00:00
Loss of Framing Failures:            0           0          0     0:00:00
Loss of Signal Failures:             0           0          0     0:00:00
Loss of Margin Failures:             0           0          0     0:00:00
Cumulative Seconds w/Errors:         1           1          0     4:09:08
Cumulative Sec. w/Severe Errors:     0           0          0     0:00:00
Corrected Blocks:                 5793        1152          0     4:05:29
Uncorrectable Blocks:                6           6          0     4:09:08
DSL Unavailable Seconds:           141           0          0    5 days 10:35:27

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 158
Scholar

First, my sincere thanks to both of you!!   

SomeJoe, reading your last paragraph tells me you have read my mind!  Here are the stats for my system.  They are only about 3 days old because after one year of Uverse service I believe it has FINALLY been fixed.  Before this my max down rate hovered around 29000kbs.  The homerun was changed from coax to cat5 and a "special" filter was added in the NID to help remove the 22 AM radio station signals (according to a T2 tech) causing interference.   Also, the .9 GHZ splitter was changed to the 1.5 GHz (after I strongly insisted it be checked).  My "new" max down rate has been as high 42000kbs and attenuation/noise margin as much as 3dB lower.

DSL                        Down                        Up

Current Rate:       25208 kbs                 2040 kbs

Max Rate:            40722 kbs                   Not Available

Current Connection:

Current Noise Margin:  17.0 dB               Not Available

Current Attenuation:     21.0 dB              Not Available

Current Output Power:  13.5 dBm           -2.0 dBm

IP                         Bytes                      Packets         Drops       Errors    %

Transmit:         479127786                    1844064          0               0          0

Receive:       84875492077                  63144101          0               0          0

These stats have never, NEVER looked this good!  No uncorrectable blocks in over 3 days!  Remarkable!  Normally in a 3 day period I'd be in the 10's of thousands.

Collected for 3 days 1:25:25

DSL                                                  Since Reset           Current 24-Hour Interval   Current 15-Minute Interval   Time Since
                                                                                                                                                                           Last Event

Link Retrains:                                            0                                     0                                         0                       0:00:00

DSL Training Errors:                                  0                                     0                                         0                        0:00:00

Training Timeouts:                                    0                                     0                                         0                         0:00:00

Loss of Framing Failures:                          0                                     0                                         0                         0:00:00

Loss of Signal Failures:                             0                                     0                                         0                         0:00:00

Loss of Margin Failures:                            0                                     0                                         0                         0:00:00

Cumulative Seconds w/Errors:                   0                                     0                                        0                         0:00:00

Cumulative Sec. w/Severe Errors:             0                                      0                                       0                           0:00:00

Corrected Blocks:                                    3289                                   0                                       0                          1:48:11

Uncorrectable Blocks:                                0                                     0                                        0                           0:00:00

DSL Unavailable Seconds:                        51                                    0                                       0                      3 days 1:24:32

I do not know how far I am from the VRAD.  None of the 12+ techs that have been to my house have any idea either.  I stopped last week and asked a tech working at a VRAD 3 blocks south of my house if this was the one that served my house.  She had no idea.  She "thought" it served the houses further south.  She "thought" mine was the other side of the freeway to the north.

This effort you're undertaking I believe has the potential to help all U-talk members having quality/performance issues.  As most of us well know it doesn't appear the techs are given much training.  Like you said, maybe this could be something even they could use.  If there is anything I can do to help PLEASE let me know.

Now, I'm off to gather snipped coax connectors for the shrine! :smileywink:

JohnB

Message 5 of 158
Tutor

The node is about three city blocks away. Wiring to the home goes to a brand new dmark and it's all new wire to the RG from there.

DSL Line (Wire Pair): RJ-11
Protocol: G.993.2
Downstream Rate: 32200 kbps
Upstream Rate: 5040 kbps
Channel: Interleaved
Current Noise Margin: 18.0 dB (Downstream) Not Available
Current Attenuation: 18.0 dB (Downstream) Not Available
Current Output Power: 14.1 dB (Downstream) -2.1 db (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xFF} Vendor: {CXSY} Specific: {0x242}

Collected for 3 days 4:24:21
Since Reset Current 24-Hour Interval Current 15-Minute Interval Time Since Last Event

DSL Link Retrains: 4 2 2 0:00:10

DSL Training Errors: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Training Timeouts: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Framing Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Signal Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Loss of Margin Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Cumulative Errored Seconds: 7 1 0 3:52:09

DSL Severely Errored Seconds: 0 0 0 0:00:00

DSL Corrected Blocks: 3862165 1914447 0 0:19:40

DSL Uncorrected Blocks: 19 2 0 3:52:09
Message 6 of 158
Master

SomeJoe,

I'm 1325' from the VRAD.

DSL                  Down          Up

Current Rate:   32200 kbs   5040 kbs

Max Rate:       54778 kbs   Not Available

Current Connection:  

Current Noise Margin:    21.0 dB   Not Available  

Current Attenuation:      18.0 dB   Not Available  

Current Output Power:   14.3 dBm   -8.7 dBm  

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Broadband Link – Detailed DSL Statistics

Collected for 6 days 20:46:23

Current                               Current                         Time Since

DSL                                            Since Reset            24-Hour Interval             15-Minute Interval                Last Event

Link Retrains:                                    0                                    0                                         0                                0:00:00

DSL Training Errors:                         0                                  0                                           0                                0:00:00

Training Timeouts:                             0                                  0                                          0                                0:00:00

Loss of Framing Failures:                 0                                 0                                           0                                0:00:00

Loss of Signal Failures:                      0                                 0                                       0                                  0:00:00

Loss of Margin Failures:                      0                                0                                      0                                     0:00:00

Cumulative Seconds w/Errors:         2                                   0                                       0                       2 days 3:01:46

Cumulative Sec. w/Severe Errors:     0                                0                                       0                                       0:00:00

Corrected Blocks:                            31863                         7869                                    0                                     0:35:37

Uncorrectable Blocks:                           7                             0                                         0                         2 days 3:01:46

DSL Unavailable Seconds:                50                              0                                         0                       6 days 20:45:31

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.
Message 7 of 158
Scholar

How do you calculate the distance to the VRAD?  Just follow the poles the shortest route?
Message 8 of 158
Expert

twentw wrote:
How do you calculate the distance to the VRAD?  Just follow the poles the shortest route?

You don't.  The only way to know your distance from the VRAD is if a tech has hooked up his diagnostic meter and gets a distance from that.  Line-of-sight is no good, because the cables don't typically follow a line-of-sight route.

Only post the distance along with your stats if you know it for sure because the tech gave you the reading from the meter.

Message 9 of 158
ACE - Expert

I'm sorry if I opened this can of worms by posting a guestimate.  I posted that information because of the descrepancy between the two "official" distances given to me by AT&T.  The drop from the pedestal to the back of my house is about 0.1 k feet, so obviously the 0.0 k feet is wrong.  The 2000 feet is about as outlandish due to the signal quality.

I didn't think you'd want to use either 0 feet or 2000 feet when doing your multiple regression calculation.  Maybe I just shouldn't have posted at all.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 10 of 158
Scholar

Hey JefferMC,

Don't worry about it.  We can only guess at how many people would ask that same question ("How far is my VRAD?").  But it has been asked, SomeJoe answered it, and now anyone reading this will know and won't have to ask!

:smileyvery-happy:

Message 11 of 158
Mentor

SomeJoe7777,

I don't know if this will help you with your data collection, but can you comment on the numbers here for the retraining errors, corrected blocks and uncorrected blocks?  The number of Corrected/Uncorrected blocks concerns me a bit.

Data Errors
Statistics
Collected for 11 days 20:45:07
  Since Reset Current 24-Hour Interval Current 15-Minute Interval Time Since Last Event  
DSL Link Retrains: 49 33 0 9:25:10  
DSL Training Errors: 18 18 0 9:45:04  
DSL Training Timeouts: 0 0 0 0:00:00  
DSL Loss of Framing Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00  
DSL Loss of Signal Failures: 63 3 0 13:44:04  
DSL Loss of Power Failures: 0 0 0 0:00:00  
DSL Loss of Margin Failures: 1 0 0 8 days 16:10:25  
DSL Cumulative Errored Seconds: 1231 1171 0 1:13:17  
DSL Severely Errored Seconds: 262 202 0 4:29:26  
DSL Corrected Blocks: 6026911 4814458 0 0:18:51  
DSL Uncorrected Blocks: 32398 18368 0 1:13:17
Message 12 of 158
Expert

rdonahue6, please start a new thread if you need assistance with that, I'd like to reserve this thread for data collection for this project.

Because your stats point to line problems, your numbers wouldn't be a good candidate for this data collection project at this time.  For this project, I need to collect data only from those people who have properly working service in order to establish the baseline.

Message 13 of 158
Expert

Here ya go SomeJoe

DSL   Down   Up
Current Rate:   32200 kbs   5040 kbs
Max Rate:   62308 kbs   Not Available
Current Connection:
  Current Noise Margin:   24.5 dB   Not Available
  Current Attenuation:   9.0 dB   Not Available
  Current Output Power:   14.3 dBm   -22.8 dBm

IP   Bytes   Packets   Drops   Errors   %
Transmit:   201777293   387373   0   0   0
Receive:   166978369967   121768119   1   0   0

Since Reset   Current 24-Hour Interval   Current 15-Minute Interval   Time Since
Last Event
Link Retrains:   0   0   0   0:00:00
DSL Training Errors:   0   0   0   0:00:00
Training Timeouts:   0   0   0   0:00:00
Loss of Framing Failures:   0   0   0   0:00:00
Loss of Signal Failures:   0   0   0   0:00:00
Loss of Margin Failures:   0   0   0   0:00:00
Cumulative Seconds w/Errors:   0   0   0   0:00:00
Cumulative Sec. w/Severe Errors:   0   0   0   0:00:00
Corrected Blocks:   0   0   0   0:00:00
Uncorrectable Blocks:   0   0   0   0:00:00
DSL Unavailable Seconds:   49   0   0   6 days 10:33:00

Prem tech, Joe, told me 510'.  :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more
Message 14 of 158
Explorer

SomeJoe7777,

Here are my stat's.  On my re-install 11/4/09 the techs JDSU showed 3.7kft.  I've been told a number as high as 4200'.

Broadband Link – Statistics

DSL Down Up

Current Rate: 19192 kbs 2040 kbs

Max Rate: 25784 kbs Not Available

Current Connection:

Current Noise Margin: 15.0 dB Not Available

Current Attenuation: 27.0 dB Not Available

Current Output Power: 12.4 dBm 7.1 dBm

IP Bytes Packets Drops Errors %

Transmit: 515137992 1892360 0 0 0

Receive: 142092225605 107626209 0 0 0

Broadband Link – Detailed DSL StatisticsCollected for 4 days 21:02:31